PDA

View Full Version : Nov. 8th surgery with Dr. O'Shaughnessy

TwinmomTN
11-07-2012, 10:35 AM
Hi everyone,

I am having surgery tomorrow with Dr. O'Shaughnessy here in Nashville to try to locate the source of my pain and correct. He has spoken with Dr. Lenke who is in agreement that surgery is appropriate at this time. As some of you may know, Dr. O'Shaughnessy did his fellowship under Dr. Lenke at Washington Univ. I don't know if anyone has had a 2nd surgery so close after original spinal fusion surgery- I'm almost 7 months post- op??? Anyway, I am getting a bit nervous and anxious about the surgery, so just humbly asking for everyone's prayers that all goes well. I will ask my husband to post here after surgery tomorrow. Thank you!

JenniferG
11-07-2012, 04:32 PM
It's the 8th here today so sending my very best wishes for a 100% successful surgery and a smooth recovery. Have you got someone who can post for you for a few days? You'll be in my thoughts tonight.

jackieg412
11-07-2012, 05:53 PM
Best wishes to you for an easy time and a quick recovery!
Jackie

djkinkead
11-07-2012, 05:53 PM
Just said some prayers for your surgery tomorrow!

golfnut
11-07-2012, 06:14 PM
Pam,
You have my prayers and positive thoughts for a successful surgery to get relief from your persistent pain. I'll be thinking of you tomorrow.

hasteffen
11-07-2012, 09:24 PM
Pam
Good luck. I will be praying for you and the surgical team.
Hugs,
Heidi

mabeckoff
11-07-2012, 09:30 PM
You and your surgical team will be in my prayers
Hope all goes well

kennedy
11-07-2012, 09:41 PM
Good luck tommrow

yacpatty
11-07-2012, 10:53 PM
Pam,

I was so glad to hear your surgeon consulted with Dr. Lenke. You have been on my mind so much and will be praying for you and your surgeon tomorrow. I will pray that God leads Dr. O's hands to the exact location of your pain and corrects the problem. God bless you and heal you!!!!!

Patty

Jennilee
11-08-2012, 09:53 AM
praying for u today!!

TwinmomTN
11-08-2012, 10:33 PM
This is Pam posting. I was brought back to my room at 7:30, so only details came from my husband, They removed a screw at S-1...... More details tomorrow when I talk to Dr.

Irina
11-08-2012, 11:25 PM
Hi Pam,

Hope that things will only get better for you from now on.

rohrer01
11-09-2012, 07:09 AM
I know I'm a day late, but hoping your surgery went well and your pain is well controlled. ((((hugs))))

Jennilee
11-09-2012, 09:16 AM
Wow! My heart goes out to u having such major surgeries so close to each other...u are strong! In sorry it's late, but u are in my prayers and thoughts. Hoping for a smooth recovery!

TwinmomTN
11-09-2012, 02:46 PM
Had a brief discussion with Dr. O'Shaughnessy in between surgeries today. He said all the nerves looked clear but performed a decompression around the nerves in the L-5 to S-1 area, and removed a screw at S-1 and added another smaller screw in pelvis for stabilization.Now, what exactly is decompression of the nerves??? Even with my Internet research, I still do not understand what this means. Could someone please explain what this means?

It has not even been 24 hours since my surgery yet and P.T.already wants me walking the hallways.
And tomorrow the rare taking away the pain pump and starting oral meds. I still have a lot of pain in
My left leg and have told them so. I don't remember my St. Louis surgery being this painful. Oh, also they said
my blood count was low so I need blood transfusion.

JenniferG
11-09-2012, 03:43 PM
Pam, someone else may be able to help you with what a decompression actually is, but I'm assuming it means he made more room for the nerves so that they aren't being compressed (by bone?) This sounds like a sensible thing to do to try and stop your pain. The screw may also have been perilously close to a nerve, but that's gone now, so fingers crossed he's fixed the problem!

A blood transfusion will pick you up enormously. I had one on Day 2 and it enabled me to stand and walk (the first time, I nearly passed out when they sat me up.)

I hope they can get your pain under control. These first day or two can be horrible. Thinking of you and hoping things will improve quickly for you.

jrnyc
11-09-2012, 04:06 PM
hi Pam
internet research shows it is just as Jen wrote...

"Decompression is a surgical procedure that is performed to alleviate pain caused by pinched nerves (neural impingement). During a lumbar decompression back surgery, a small portion of the bone over the nerve root and/or disc material from under the nerve root is removed to give the nerve root more space and provide a better healing environment."

hope you feel better and get some pain relief soon...

jess...& Sparky

tae_tap
11-09-2012, 05:00 PM
Praying for you.

Tamena

nanut
11-09-2012, 05:37 PM
Pam
Five months after my Scoliosis Surgery my husband had nerve decompression at L4-L5. We thought of it as a roto rooter of the space surrounding the nerve. It was explained to us that if the nerve is compressed for some time than it takes longer settle down and heal. My husband was in significant pain post op and eventually needed to take neurontin . At exactly 6 weeks the pain left and he has been symptom free since that time. Hang in there and best of luck with this recovery.
Nan
Surgery 7/12/11
T10-L5 fusion with instrumentation

TwinmomTN
11-09-2012, 06:19 PM
Pam
Five months after my Scoliosis Surgery my husband had nerve decompression at L4-L5. We thought of it as a roto rooter of the space surrounding the nerve. It was explained to us that if the nerve is compressed for some time than it takes longer settle down and heal. My husband was in significant pain post op and eventually needed to take neurontin . At exactly 6 weeks the pain left and he has been symptom free since that time. Hang in there and best of luck with this recovery.
Nan
Surgery 7/12/11
T10-L5 fusion with instrumentation

Wow, that gives me some hope then. Thank you!!!

golfnut
11-09-2012, 08:42 PM
Pam,
Inspite of feeling lousy now, I think it sounds really positive that the source of your excrutiating pain has been eliminated and you will soon start noticing improvements.

tennisplayer
11-10-2012, 12:17 AM
Pam,
My husband, is a physician, and says that a decompression of the nerves is making the opeining where the nerve comes out between vertebrae larger. They usually cut away some of the bone that is pinching the nerve.
Best wishes on your recovery,
Gretchen

loves to skate
11-12-2012, 07:58 PM
hi Pam
internet research shows it is just as Jen wrote...

"Decompression is a surgical procedure that is performed to alleviate pain caused by pinched nerves (neural impingement). During a lumbar decompression back surgery, a small portion of the bone over the nerve root and/or disc material from under the nerve root is removed to give the nerve root more space and provide a better healing environment."

hope you feel better and get some pain relief soon...

jess...& Sparky

Jess is exactly correct. I had decompression surgery about two years after my fusion surgery because of residual nerve pain in my right leg. It may have helped a little, but I still have some pain.
Sally