SI Joint Pain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SI Joint Pain

Ouch!!!!!! Painful painful SI joint pain from this afternoon continuing now....I'd rate it a 9 on a scale of 1-10 (10 worst). I'm so scared that it isnt going to go away. I had moderate SI joint pain before surgery but I attributed it to the kyphosis and strain on my back because of it.

It only recently started this week while leaning to get out of my recliner. Then randomly has popped up in the recent afternoons and tonight it is just sharp radiating pains (i have also had some nerve reconnecting pain) but mostly the same "feeling" as before surgery but more severe, I assumed with the fusion it's adding extra pressure.

I guess I'm going to call the dr. On Monday to see if there is anything that they can recommend....but at now I'm at a loss. Just sitting here with an ice pack. Ho hum.

Any advice would be great.

Hannah

Hannah,
    I have been dealing with SI joint pain ever since I slipped on some leaves and fell on my left buttock about 2 1/2 years ago. I have been going to a pain management Doctor and he has been giving me cortisone in the left SI joint. Two shots so far and it seems to be helping somewhat. First I had to go to a physical therapist and when that didn't help, a Pain Management Doctor was recommended. I really can't give you any advice, but I can empathize with you. SI joint pain is or can be the worst.
    Sally
    Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
    Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
    Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
    Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
    New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
    Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

I guess I'll see what Dr. Lenke says at my first follow up on Nov. 21st. Pretty sure cortisone shot will be in my future. I've only had one in my life and that was in my hip for hip bursitis. Ugh...hurts! But relief is better than pain.

Praying it will go away and it's just one of those phases of recovery but well see:-(

Hannah

Comment

Hannah,

Could it be that you're sitting too much for this early in pre-op? I seem to recall Linda saying something about leg pain that was reduced when she cut back on time sitting. Also make sure you're not straining your back getting in and out of the recliner. Better to log roll and lay flat on the couch. Finally, I would say you're still early in you're recovery, and a certain amount of pain is to be expected (that does sound a bit high, though). But don't be afraid to use your pain meds; that's what you have them for!

Best,
        Evelyn
        age 48
        80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
        Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
        Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
        Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
        Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

I agree, the recliner is probably not a great idea.....

A few years back, when the research channel on tv was up and running, they had scoliosis conferences where surgeons would talk about things.

One commented on hospital beds and the raising or tilting up of the head end of the bed and how this would alter the shape of the spine after fusion surgery. Since bending seems to be against the rules in immediate recovery, resting on a flat surface seems to be the favored way to rest....

Pulling up out of a recliner can exert an incredible amount of force in the spine. Log rolling out of bed correctly does not.

We all seem to test our limits in our recoveries. I hope your pain passes quickly.

Ed
          49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
          Pre surgery curves T70,L70
          ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
          Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Another flare up!

Gah! Must have tested my limits again today...did too much too soon. Walked about 3/4 mile at once this evening and am in pure SI joint misery. I didn't call the office initially because ive already called with a few issues and didn't want to bother them, but maybe I will tomorrow, since my oxycodone and Valium have not seemed to settle the pain...:-( praying it subsides and I get some sleep.

From now on, SHORT walks more often...

and I have been using a different method to getting out of the recliner so well see if that will help or if I need to find something completely different...i sure dont want to lay the whole time, especially since I can't lay on my sides. All we have Is a reclining sofa, recliner and then counter height dining room chairs that even with a pillow, I can't sit there the whole day...ho hum,

Hannah

Comment

chair?

Hannah,
              Sorry to hear about your pain! I hope it will go away soon. I just bought a chair from Lazy Boy- to be delivered Wed. It looks more like a chair you would find in your grandmothers house!
              http://www.la-z-boy.com/product/12-3...mall-Recliner/
              It felt most comfortable to me. I chose not to put the swivel on mine.
              In the mean time I find that I get the most relief lying flat on my back on our firm sofa.
              Hope you feel better soon.
              Heidi
              Scheduled for surgery with Dr. Lenke Oct. 2012
              53*T 71*L
              Surgery 10/05/2012 T4-pelvis
              Correction: looks perfect! Will find out how perfect at future appointments

Comment

That does look nice! I have to put like 3 pillows behind/under me to keep me in the right position. For now, SI joint is being quiet. I really think that the walking distance is what is causing it, or so I hope. Let me know how your chair feels. Glad we just got a new dining set (counter height with high back seats, so at least part of the day I can spend in that with a pillow behind me for support.) Wonder how my chair will work out when I get back to work. Might have to talk to hr about that.

Talk to you soon,

Hannah

Comment

Chair

Hi HannahCP and Hasteffen,

My sister-in-law has this chair and she loves it. Every time I visit her, she lets me use it and it is so comfortable with my back. It reclines very nicely. Too bad it cost too much Anxious to hear what Dr. Lenke says about your SI JT pain as that is one of my issues.
                  Patty
                  1963 Fusion T4-L2 for congenital scoliosis. It was a bone graft and not instrumentation
                  1989 to Present....Have had chronic pain. MRI's show severe neural foraminal stenosis L2-S1, rotational scoliosis lumbar spine over 40 degrees, compression of nerve roots L5-S1, Broad Based Herniations L4-L5, L5-S
                  Surgery scheduled with Dr. Bridwell on December 11, 2012
                  December 11, 2012 Had surgery with Dr. Bridwell. He fused L4-L5 with rods and screws.

Comment

I was instructed that I could only sit twenty minutes three times a day and that included bathroom and shower seat time. Otherwise my head had to be below 40 degrees and my legs never up like they recline in a hospital bed. Maybe these stipulations might help, but bed does get old.
                    Tamena
                    Diagnosed at age 12 with a double major curve

Braced till age 15

SSBOB T12-L2 Anterior age 34. (October 22,2012) Dr. Robert Gaines Jr. ( Columbia, MO)

Revision Surgery T2-Sacrum with Pelvic Fixation Prosterior age 35 (November 13,2013) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

Revision Surgery L4/L5 due to BMP Complication age 36 (November 20,2014) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, Mo)

Revision Surgery due to broken rod scheduled for October 19, 2016 with Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

Comment

Working...
                    X