A good appt with my surgeon :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A good appt with my surgeon :)

As I have mentioned here before I am 2yrs post op and in quite a lot of pain still. My pain is mostly 'pressure' pain and a feeling of carrying an axe in my back.
    I decided to take a letter for my surgeon when I went or my 2yr check yesterday. I had written a list of my pains and how my quality of life is affected. He was great and read it out loud looking concerned.

My X-rays were fine-he checked for halos around the screws which indicates they are loose-there wasn't any-everything was as it should be.
    He still thinks the large protruding screws are the problem (so do I) but because of how they are situated the whole lot would have to come out. He said I would loose 10% correction if he does this. I had an amazing correction so I wouldn't mind that. He said of course until I'm in the table we can't rule out non fusion. He said CT scan isn't very reliable in showing fusion up.

The plan of action now is for him to take my case to a meeting where it will be decided what would be the best thing to do. I'm just so happy that my surgeon is a lovely caring person who even though my X-rays show everything is in place he still wants to improve my pain
    Fused T2-L4 with costoplasty on 3/11/10

Post Op Issues

Hi Bluestone!

I have a similar sensation in my back that you describe as having an ax in your back. Mine is not painful at all, just varying degrees of this odd sensation/tightness/pressure in the thoracic area. Other than that, I am pain free, only the occasional stinging from what I imagine is nerve regeneration.

I am 1 year and fourth months post op. Had hoped this would be gone by now or at least minimal. I can live with it, it's merely annoying more than anything.

I'll be curious to hear what your surgeon concludes.
    50 years old!!!!!
    Wore Milwaulkee Brace 1976-77
    Original curve 36 degrees ( measured in the 70s)
    Advanced to 61 degrees 01/2011
    Surgery 07/11/2011
    Fused T1-L2 (curve now in the 20s!)

Comment

Originally posted by Marina63 View Post
      Hi Bluestone!

I have a similar sensation in my back that you describe as having an ax in your back. Mine is not painful at all, just varying degrees of this odd sensation/tightness/pressure in the thoracic area. Other than that, I am pain free, only the occasional stinging from what I imagine is nerve regeneration.

I am 1 year and fourth months post op. Had hoped this would be gone by now or at least minimal. I can live with it, it's merely annoying more than anything.

I'll be curious to hear what your surgeon concludes.
      When I get up its just pulling and tugging sensations but as the day goes on it gets worse and the pressure becomes painful. Reaching forwards and any bending over is a painful struggle. If I have a busy day it's unbearable. My days have to be limited to stop myself getting to the unbearable stage. I'm nearly 47 and I don't want to think that my life will never be a very active one again-especially if something can be done about it.

I will only be prepared to have more surgery if my surgeon is pretty sure my metalwork is the problem.
      Last edited by bluestone; 11-03-2012, 10:12 AM.

Comment

Your situation is very different from mine, then. Hope that you get some relief soon. Keep us posted.
        50 years old!!!!!
        Wore Milwaulkee Brace 1976-77
        Original curve 36 degrees ( measured in the 70s)
        Advanced to 61 degrees 01/2011
        Surgery 07/11/2011
        Fused T1-L2 (curve now in the 20s!)

Comment

Hi Bluestone,
          I still have pain in my lower back. I always say i feel like I have been kicked in the butt by a horse. I have been to a pain management Doctor and have had two cortisone shots in my left SI joint which seems to be helping some. If this doesn't do the trick for me, I will ask my Doctor to remove the iliac screws. After that, another option is a spinal cord stimulator that gets implanted in the back just under the pelvic bone. I hope you find a solution to your pain because chronic pain can be so wearing on your spirit.
          Best wishes, Sally
          Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
          Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
          Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
          Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
          New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
          Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Hi Bluestone,

I have been waiting to hear the outcome of your appointment. I am very glad to hear your surgeon took your concerns seriously. I am now 1 yr, 5mos post op, and still have the same problem. I get up with pressure/tightness and pulling which progresses to pain as the day goes on. I am usually in my recliner, on the heating pad after dinner and remain there till bedtime. I certainly can relate to everything you are feeling. Please keep us posted on your surgeons plan. I hope you can find relief. Lori
            Lori in PA, 52 yrs. old
            T54/L72
            Surgery 6/7/11, T3-S1, all posterior, with pelvic anchors
            Gained 2 inches!
            Dr. Boachie, HSS, NYC
            12/10/13 Hardware Removal for infection
            Lost 2", gained PJK!

Comment

Originally posted by Lorz View Post
              I have been waiting to hear the outcome of your appointment. I am very glad to hear your surgeon took your concerns seriously. I am now 1 yr, 5mos post op, and still have the same problem. I get up with pressure/tightness and pulling which progresses to pain as the day goes on. I am usually in my recliner, on the heating pad after dinner and remain there till bedtime. I certainly can relate to everything you are feeling. Please keep us posted on your surgeons plan. I hope you can find relief. Lori
              Hi Lori,

I really hope as time goes by things improves for you.
              It's so frustrating when I start the day feeling like I can cope, then by the middle of the day I've had enough. I said to my husband I will do everything i can to avoid further surgery-maybe keep trying to 'live' with it but take today for example-we went Christmas shopping and the pressure builds and builds. I find myself saying if only this pressure would go, I would be so happy.
              Now I'm lying down recovering-is this how I want my life to be? This is how it was pre surgery, I know there are no guarantees but I did hope the need to lie down would be gone.

Comment

I hear you. You pretty much described my feelings, and how a typical day progresses. I am trying to be patient, and stay positive, but it gets tiring. I did recently start acupuncture, and am hoping to get some relief. I will let you know if it helps. Hang in there, you are not alone.
                Lori in PA, 52 yrs. old
                T54/L72
                Surgery 6/7/11, T3-S1, all posterior, with pelvic anchors
                Gained 2 inches!
                Dr. Boachie, HSS, NYC
                12/10/13 Hardware Removal for infection
                Lost 2", gained PJK!

Comment

Working...
                X