Muscle atrophy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Muscle atrophy?

Does anyone know anything about muscle atrophy?

I'm due to see my surgeon on 1st Nov for my 2yr post op check.
    Unfortunately I'm still in terrible pain in the middle of my back-last time I saw my surgeon he suspected it was the metalwork causing my pain and that if it continues it will have to come out. He said I have zero fat in the middle of my back which is why i have 3/4 screws protruding badly.

I remember someone mentioning muscle atrophy once and wondered if this could be my problem because when I bend/lean over its such a struggle and so painful-I'm just so fed up of it and disappointed that I'm in this situation after 2yrs
    Fused T2-L4 with costoplasty on 3/11/10

Blue

Your another one that has waited a long time in pain. I hope that a resolution can be obtained soon.

Its so hard to try to do anything when in such pain. Your muscles have weakened, but can be built back up again.

Be sure to let us know how the meeting turns out.

Ed
    49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
    Pre surgery curves T70,L70
    ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
    Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Blue,

There could be lots of reasons for the pain. How old are you? It seems like a lot of people who are older (40+) have trouble with pain from the unfused lumbar disks. Also could be an area of non-fusion. Hopefully it is something muscular and you can work it out. Your surgeon will know best. I feel for you as two plus years is an awfully long time to be in pain. I hope you get some answers soon.

Evelyn
      age 48
      80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
      Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
      Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
      Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
      Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

I'm 47 and this pain is very much in my middle back where I had a very large thoracic curve. He has always said the protruding screws could be causing my problems but I'm not so sure now-it's over a wider area and it's getting worse. I feel drained with it all, as you say 2yrs is a long time to be in pain, not to mention the 30yrs of it pre op. I never expected to be pain free after my op but I never expected this scale of pain either.
        Fused T2-L4 with costoplasty on 3/11/10

Comment

Blue: Just wishing you the best and hope that you can find a resolution for your pain.
          Susan
          Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
          2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
          2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
          2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
          2018: Removal L4,5 screw
          2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

Working...
          X