October25 surgery date and terrified

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• October25 surgery date and terrified

I went to my pre-p appt. with the pain managemnet doctor and he said that no matter how bad I thought it was going to be it would be worse. The doctor said that since I was so thin there might be a problem with the hardware sticking out my back. Help!!

That is a very disturbing thing to hear just before the surgery. But this comment is coming from your pain management doctor, who, by his own nature might be against the surgery. What does your surgeon say? I would listen to what your surgeon says and try to ignore opinions of pain management doctors, physical therapists etc.
    I am stronger than scoliosis, and won't let it rule my life!
    45 years old - diagnosed at age 7
    A/P surgery on March 5/7, 2013 - UCSF

Comment

Originally posted by retired Mom View Post
      I went to my pre-p appt. with the pain managemnet doctor and he said that no matter how bad I thought it was going to be it would be worse. The doctor said that since I was so thin there might be a problem with the hardware sticking out my back. Help!!
      What a horrible thing to say to anyone. I will till you that for me, it was not as bad as I thought it was going to be. Where are your curves? There have been a lot of thin people on this forum who have had spinal fusions. Hopefully they will be able to give you some feedback.

Sally
      Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
      Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
      Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
      Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
      New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
      Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

I'm so sorry you've been terrorised by the pain management doctor. Not sure what he hoped to achieve by saying that. For me, the recovery was much less traumatic than being told I needed spinal fusion surgery. Best wishes for a great correction and easy recovery.
        Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
        Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
        T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
        Osteotomies and Laminectomies
        Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

So sorry

I'm so sorry this guy put that thought into your mind. I am thin 5'10 about 135. And I do not have a problem with my hardware sticking out. My last level o fusion L1 kind of "dimples" my back because there is no fat there but that is the ONLY place where it looks like there is something in there. I'm still pretty numb (4 weeks post op) but when I touch my back where the rods are... I have to push really hard until I can feel the rods... Also once you have your surgery and you're feeling fabulous you will be able to work the muscles in your back and you won't have to worry about that!
          Try to keep your chin up and a positive attitude ( I know hard, when the "professionals" put doubt into your head) BUT vision your beautiful straight spine and know that we're all praying for you!!!

Comment

Wow, I really cannot believe he said that. That's just cruel - and really unprofessional. How does he know what you're expecting anyway??? We all try to imagine what it will be like, but how can we really imagine something we've never experienced before... I'd say for most people, as long as you take the pain meds on time, the pain will be managed. Not a walk in the park by any means, but the drugs do their job.
            As for hardware sticking out your back? hmmm - not exactly sure how to even picture that ... When I had surgery, I was only 90 pounds (only 4' 9, but still very thin) - I can only comment on my own experience, but my hardware isn't visible, and it doesn't stick out (now I weigh 95)!
            The weeks leading up to surgery are so scary! I found that I was freaked out even by well intentioned friends expressing their fears (thanks!)! It takes incredible focus to concentrate on the outcome and what that will mean for your future, and try to not dwell on negative comments. I'm mad at that doctor!
            Nancy
            Age 58
            Surgery w/ Dr Lenke August 23, 2010
            original curves 91 thoracic, 86 lumbar
            fused T1 to sacrum, new curves 50 and 45

Comment

I don't know how any professional could say that to a patient. How does he know the pain involved unless he's actually had spinal surgery? I was terrified, but my pain was well managed in the hospital and during my recovery. I still felt lousy at times due to abdominal pain, but I was never in excruiating pain. The recovery isn't easy and it's a slow process, but for me, it was not horrible. It's the only time in my life that I could look forward to an afternoon nap and not feel guilty for not doing anything during a period of the day.
              Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
              Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
              70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
              Rib Hump-GONE!
              Age-60 at the time of surgery
              Now 66
              Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
              Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
              Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
              Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
              tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
              http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

i am not surprised...i have never met a pain management doctor
                who was in favor of spinal fusion....and i have been to several
                doctors of that specialty...most do not seem so vehement in
                their language, but their message was the same...against the
                surgery....i have one who told me outright only to do the surgery
                if it is "to stop progression, don't do it for pain...it will not help the
                pain and could make it worse"
                i did have a surgeon tell me that because i am thin, i might need
                screws removed after fusion was successful....
                i had another surgeon who told me he likes to operate on thin
                people...he said it was easier to get to the spine in people without
                much fat on their bodies...

i would suggest that you discuss your worries about being thin
                and the results of the surgery with your surgeon ...i think that
                is the person best to speak to about your concerns...
                and i am sorry the pain doctor upset you so much...

jess

Comment

I found out that I don't have a great pain tolerance, but even I have to say that statement is over- the-top. I was never in excruciating pain--not even in the hospital immediately after surgery. Granted I took a LLLOT of pain medicine, but it really worked. The duration of the pain in terms of months (7 now) has been longer than I expected, but the severity is not bad at all really. Maybe a 3 on a scale of 1-10 most of the time.

I am not super thin, but not heavy either. I cannot feel or see my hardware through my skin at all.

Best,
                  Evelyn
                  age 48
                  80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
                  Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
                  Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
                  Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
                  Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

What an aweful thing for him to say! Ask your surgeon about it and what changes he might make if you are thin. I am not thin...just average, have not had surgery, but when I feel my crooked vertebrae over my back, they are right under the skin...so little padding on everyone back there unless you are very obese and that has its own problems.

I hope that you are reassured by the many postings of thin women. It might be that he saw 1-2 women that were on the thin side and he drew his own conclusion...not a research based conclusion...that it was because they were thin. Check with your surgeon!

Susan
                    Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
                    2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
                    2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
                    2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
                    2018: Removal L4,5 screw
                    2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

Hi,
                      I am sorry that you have been put through this kind of stress at this late stage. I would suggest that you treat your pain management doctors messgae as purely cautionary and there is no way that he can predict an outcome like this with a high degree of certitude. Yes, recovery is a pretty hard and drawn out process (my experience for last 2 months) and there are a few very dark days, but it really helps to keep a postive attitude, patience and have faith that you will be ok.

Best of luck for your surgery,

Rajma
                      Congenital Scoliosis and Kyphosis
                      Diagnosis at Age 42, Main Thoracolumbar curve 72 deg
                      Surgery on Aug 15, 2012
                      Fused T4 to L4, 2 SPOs

Comment

That is awful! I will be praying for you. Remember that pain is temporary and no mater what gets thrown at you, it will get better. This is what I keep telling myself and it gives me strength.
                        Good Luck,
                        Tamena
                        Diagnosed at age 12 with a double major curve

Braced till age 15

SSBOB T12-L2 Anterior age 34. (October 22,2012) Dr. Robert Gaines Jr. ( Columbia, MO)

Revision Surgery T2-Sacrum with Pelvic Fixation Prosterior age 35 (November 13,2013) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

Revision Surgery L4/L5 due to BMP Complication age 36 (November 20,2014) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, Mo)

Revision Surgery due to broken rod scheduled for October 19, 2016 with Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

Comment

Wow! I can't imagine where the pain management Dr. was coming from. Is it just a poor "bedside manner?" As some have suggested, maybe it was just cautionary, that this surgery is not something you jump into lightly.

It seems to me that the Dr's job is to minimize your pain, or at least minimize your recollection of it.

I'd pay more attention to the comments of posters who've undergone fusion; they seem to say that the pain is bad, but there are ways of managing it.

Aunt M.

Comment

I agree the Pain Management doctor should be repremanded for what he said. It was unprofessional.

Yes, there will be pain after the surgery. But don't be afraid to communicate when you are in pain--and have your friends or family who are with you at the hospital be your advocate. Also, what I found is if you keep up the prescribed dose (not let it "wear off" and then start again), it is easier on you (and subsequently those around you).

Yes, each day gets better.

Will be saying prayers for you. God has everything undercontrol--that is what helped me get through the last few days before my surgery (which is now a little over a year ago).
                            Discovered scoliosis when 15 years old.
                            Wore Milwaulkee Brace for 1.5 years.
                            Top curve 85 degrees, bottom curve 60 degrees

Surgery completed August 23, 2011 (during an earthquake, can you believe that?)
                            Dr. Charles Edwards, II
                            The Spine Center at Mercy Hospital in Baltimore, MD
                            Before and after xrays:
                            http://www.valley-designs.com/myspine

Comment

October 25 surgery

I am having fusion L2-sacrum on December 11 with Dr. Bridwell. Thank you to all who responded to this post as I am also thin and was worried about the hardware. I am also so upset with the attitude of the physiatrists who specialize in pain management. They see patients who have failed spinal surgeries but I am sure many, not all, of those patients could have had surgeons who did not specialize in scoliosis or even patients who were noncompliant and maybe did not allow themselves time to heal. Good luck to you on the 25th. I hope all of those here on the forum encouraged you....they certainly did me!!!!!
                              1963 Fusion T4-L2 for congenital scoliosis. It was a bone graft and not instrumentation
                              1989 to Present....Have had chronic pain. MRI's show severe neural foraminal stenosis L2-S1, rotational scoliosis lumbar spine over 40 degrees, compression of nerve roots L5-S1, Broad Based Herniations L4-L5, L5-S
                              Surgery scheduled with Dr. Bridwell on December 11, 2012
                              December 11, 2012 Had surgery with Dr. Bridwell. He fused L4-L5 with rods and screws.

Comment

Working...
                              X