sedatives prior to surgery?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sedatives prior to surgery?

OK...1 week 'til my surgery and I'm really fine with the surgery itself, it's all of the prep stuff that's got me rattled. The iv's and the needles and the unknown stuff...all of it has got me worked up! Having never had sugery before and after going through some pre-op tests this past week, I'm not at all looking forward to my time in the prep room next week. Did any of you have a mild sedative prior to entering the Anesthesia room or do you think that I should ask for something?

Heidi,
    Go ahead and ask for something the night before. But chances are that your doc or the anesthologist will give you something. After you are in the "holding" area in the OR, before you go to surgery the anestheologist will come see you and give you something to "relax" you......you won't care what they do to you LOL.

Good luck
    SandyC

Comment

Heidi,

I had my surgery last April. I had some Ativan the night before for aniexty. When I got to the hospital, I checked in, put on my gown, got in the bed, an IV was put in, the anestheologist came asked how I was and gave me some medicine in the IV and that's all I remember. I don't even remember them wheeling me down to the operating room. The same thing happened last year when I had my hysterectomy. That's some good stuff!!!!!! Try not to worry to much, everyone was so nice. They all know that you are scared and you don't really have time to think once you get there.
      Theresa

April 8 & 12, 2004 - Anterior/Posterior surgery 15 hours & 7 hours
      Thorasic - 79 degree down to 22
      Lumbar - 44 degree down to 18
      Fused T2 to sacrum
      June 2, 2005 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @L3 7 hours
      MAY 21, 2007 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @ L2, extended the fusion to S2 and added pelvic instrumentation 9 hours

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

Hi there... I am thinking of you in the pre-surgery week! You will do so great, we are all behind you.

When I had some other procedures that I was terrified about, as well as getting some medication I found it really helpful to do some breathing/relaxation exercises - simple stuff like just focusing really hard on breathing, taking myself away from the immediate surroundings.

You've probably got a gezillion things to do this week, but it might be worth practicing this a bit before going - it really helped me get through a couple of hospital visits (I hate hospitals!!) - or even getting one of those relaxation tapes. This sort of thing also helped with my pain, so maybe could be useful after the surgery too.

Anyway, courage and fortitude, and remember we're all here for you. ~Laura
        30y/o
        Upper curve around 55
        Lower curve around 35

Comment

Thanks everyone for your replies so far! I think I will definitely call my doc's office tomorrow to see if I can take something before I get to the hospital or at least let them know ahead of time that I'll need to be zonked out right away! I'm totally fine with the surgery itself, just that pesky prep stuff that keeps getting to me.

My hospital offers relaxation classes free of charge and of course I attended and learned all about breathing and imaging techniques and have been practicing them since, but I really am going to need something more to help me that morning. I think a call to my doc's office will set my mind at ease!

Comment

Don't feel bad! I'm usually beside myself at the thought of anything remotely nasty. Remember that they (the docs/nurses) deal with it all the time, so make them understand, and then you'll feel better. We're thinking of you! ~Laura
            30y/o
            Upper curve around 55
            Lower curve around 35

Comment

I have to be "gassed" to get an IV in, even for oral surgery, so I'm sure they should be able to give you something :-)

I'll be thinking of you on Tuesday! Post as soon as you feel like it to let us know how you are doing!

The nice thing about kids having the surgery is their mothers post here how they are doing while they are still too out of it to do it themselves...
              Pre-surgery: upper curve 44 (and kyphosis), lower curve 45
              Post-surgery: under 20, both curves (doesn't even qualify as scoliosis anymore )

surgery: August 29, 2005
              fusion T5-L3
              Surgeon - Dr. Ted Wagner at University of Washington (Seattle)

Scar getting to the point where people either don't notice it or think it is from something much less serious!

Comment

heidi, good luck with your surgery! i don't have anything to add to everyone's experiences...mine were the same, except to say that the scheduler in my dr.'s office called the afternoon before surgery to see how i was doing. she told me some good jokes and helped me relax a little; wasn't that a nice thing to do? anyway, i don't even remember the ride to the operating room, and they did most of the icky iv's and stuff after i was long gone....
                Sue

Milwaukee Brace from ages 8 - 16
                T36 degrees/L56 degrees Pre-Op
                Fused T3 - S1
                Surgery done Sept. 15, 2004
                Dr. Robert G. Viere
                North Texas Spine Care @ Baylor

Comment

upcoming surgery

Heidie:
                  Good luck on your surgery. I will be following you on the 8th of February. There are only a few appointments left
                  for me. I am used to the iv's etc. I am
                  more concerned about the recuperation
                  period and who will handle my medication. I am not sleeping each night without dreams about the procedure. I dread the
                  hospital stay, I did not handle the stay
                  well the last time. Every day at some
                  point I think about canceling the surgery-but I can't-better at 63 then
                  waiting till 70. I did find out from an
                  infectious disease doctor that staph
                  ( which I contacted last operation)does not lay dormant in the body after it is
                  treated. I will definitely ask for some
                  kind of joy juice before the procedure.
                  Lets hang in there. I will think about
                  you.

Kathleen

63 years old
                  1982 fusion L4/5
                  surgery scheduled Feb 8
                  Surgeon-Alexix Shelokov
                  Baylor, Plano Tx.

Comment

kathleen, good luck to you too! i think of you and your surgery everytime i drive by the new baylor in plano...best wishes for a smooth and uneventful recovery.
                    Sue

Milwaukee Brace from ages 8 - 16
                    T36 degrees/L56 degrees Pre-Op
                    Fused T3 - S1
                    Surgery done Sept. 15, 2004
                    Dr. Robert G. Viere
                    North Texas Spine Care @ Baylor

Comment

Thanks Kathleen! I'll be thinking of you in the next week. I haven't even thought about the stay in the hospital and hopefully I won't think too much about it. I hate sleeping anywhere without my husband by my side! I hope your operation and your stay go well and that you have a great recovery!

Comment

Working...
                      X