Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it bad to get out of the house, so early in recovery?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it bad to get out of the house, so early in recovery?

At a week and a half post op I went to dinner and although was tired afterward felt fine. Today(2.5 weeks post op) would like to go to the movies (early to avoid the crazy crowds) but as I read the forum MANY people didn't even leave their house for weeks/ months. Is this because of pain? Should I not be going out? I feel like I sit at home nd watch movies why not go out and watch a movie?? But still want to make the safe, correct decision.
    Thoughts?

-mini milestone yesterday first shower by myself, with no lightheadedness
    -put real clothes on not glorified pj's

Originally posted by king14 View Post
    At a week and a half post op I went to dinner and although was tired afterward felt fine. Today(2.5 weeks post op) would like to go to the movies (early to avoid the crazy crowds) but as I read the forum MANY people didn't even leave their house for weeks/ months. Is this because of pain? Should I not be going out? I feel like I sit at home nd watch movies why not go out and watch a movie?? But still want to make the safe, correct decision.
    Thoughts?

-mini milestone yesterday first shower by myself, with no lightheadedness
    -put real clothes on not glorified pj's
    Hey King,

You sound like you are doing well.

Absent ice on the streets, I am not aware of any reason for you not to go out as much as possible. For kids at least and perhaps for young adults, our surgeon said physical restrictions are not necessary in 95% of patients in order to get a fusion. But because he can't know ahead of time who the 5% are who need restrictions to get a fusion, he restricts everyone for 8 months. Then all restrictions are lifted.

It seems like each surgeon has his own regimen of restrictions and at least one has no restrictions. These do not appear to be based on individual patient cases for the most part but instead are just what the surgeon likes. There was a case where someone picked a surgeon based on a very short restriction period erroneously thinking that that surgeon simply does things better such that a shorter restriction period is possible. That is false. My comment was if that was their concern then they should have gone to the guy who has no restrictions. He is playing the odds but they are very good odds.

See what your surgeon says.
    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

By the way I have never heard of a surgeon restricting going out or walking or anything like that. Based on that, I think the more the better.
      Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
      Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

King

Most of us here are older.... You have the advantage, you are young!

When I went in to try for a handicapped placard, my surgeon laughed and asked why I need that? He told me from now on, park in the back of each parking lot and walk in. That attempt went over like a lead balloon. Talk about crash and burn. (smiley face)

Sitting in a movie theater might be tough since sitting for long periods is hard....you might want to wait till next weekend. lol

Walking short distances multiple times per day is a good thing. Being active keeps many things moving in the body which is good. Blood barely flows in the legs unless one gets up and walks, you don’t want a clot forming down there...

My surgeon wanted me walking outside. It’s a clean air thing. Air does get polluted inside homes and open windows are good things.

Sounds like you are kicking butt! If only we could do that, most of us seniors would be surfing in Misfits mosh pits more often.....He he

No falling now. That’s against the rules....And NO car accidents! Don’t drive with someone you don’t trust as a good driver.

Ed
        49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
        Pre surgery curves T70,L70
        ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
        Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

I should clarify

I have been walking outside everyday between 1.5 to 2 miles depending on the day. I'm not taking any painkillers unless I'm having a "bad" day. I also wear a TLSO brace whenever I am outta bed so I feel extra protected.
          I did go to the movies, brought a painkiller in case I needed it ( I didn't)-laughter is great medicine! Came home walked a mile and now off to nap.
          I was just wondering if we are to stay home for fear Of getting sick, or being exposed. Are people not getting out and about (besides walking) because they are restricted by pain or are Dr.'s telling you to stay put for a bit. (dinners, outings, etc) Stuff like that.
          But to end, I spend more time outside than I do indoors. Great Cali weather is super healing!!

Comment

Way to Go!!! Good for you--just remember you may have both good and bad days yet.
            T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
            C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
            T2--T10 fusion 2/11
            C 4-5 fusion 11/14
            Right scapulectomy 6/15
            Right pectoralis major muscle transfer to scapula
            To replace the action of Serratus Anterior muscle 3/16
            Broken neck 9/28/2018
            Emergency surgery posterior fusion C4- T3
            Repeated 11/2018 because rods pulled apart added T2 fusion
            Removal of partial right thoracic hardware 1/2020
            Removal and replacement of C4-T10 hardware with C7 and T 1
            Osteotomy

Comment

way to go king.
              Kara
              Brace 4-15-05-5-25-06
              Posterior Spinal Fusion 3-10-10
              T4-L2
              Before 50T
              After 20T

Comment

Sounds to me like it's the perfect medicine for you!
                Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Are you bionic??

If I ever need more surgery (please nooooooo), I'm booking your surgeon!!!

Seriously -- I'm very happy for you that you're doing so well. It's awesome!
                  Chris
                  A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
                  Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
                  Post-op curve: 12 degrees
                  Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

You do sound like you're doing amazingly well!!! Movie at 1.5 weeks ? What! I was still in the hotel in St. Louis and so drugged up I can hardly remember it. What are your fusion levels again? Sounds like you are heeling like a teenager!!!!!
                    age 48
                    80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
                    Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
                    Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
                    Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
                    Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

Did Dr Bederman give you any restrictions?
                      Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

Hahaha

Bionic.... that would be amaZing! high tolerance for pain?!? I don't know.
                        I'm fused T4 to L1.
                        Dr. B said - no BLT for 3-6 months. Wear TLSO if up, out, and about. After 6 weeks PT to work on core, but said its probably stuff that I do already. (Previously did) after 3 months yoga esq type things... And fully released After 12 months. He said the more walking I do the quicker ill heal. So I've been hitting the pavement.
                        Combination of a miracle worker surgeon and being in shape before (remember I own a pilates studio) core core core!!!
                        But actually - I don't think I'm in so much pain because it wasn't painful for me to bend my spine all sorts of ways in bikram yoga/ pilates / and I was a dancer so I think having flexibility in the spine helped tremendously!
                        Blessed, blessed, blessed!

Comment

Hey you!
                          Your doing so well.whats "no BLT for 6wks".i was going to say definately go to the cinema if you feel like you can sit for that long,take a cushion and painkillers.iv been wondering if I can make it but my body cast is hard and not too comfortable plus the cinema seats lift so not sure if I would be able to sit comfortably but im thinking in a few weeks,plus im not going to know unless I try it.
                          Are you allowed to do any exercise?are you walking alone or with someone?your doing really well to walk that far.
                          I know my fusions long but thought even with my fusion my age would mean I can do more but im not allowed to exercise (swim or gym) for 12mths! My surgeon said my body needs calories to help me heal so I had to up my diet.im now a size uk10 instead of a uk8 so im hoping increasing my walking will help get my weight downseems silly worrying about one dress size after such surgery.hope your well in yourself an not feeling bored or too restricted xx
                          27 yr old Female.
                          Scoliosis since 12yrs, fusion to lower curve in 1998, costioplast 2001 and further corrective surgery 26 July 2012.
                          Now the proud owner of a very straight spine. T1- L5 fusion.
                          Mr Dunsmuir, Orthopaedic Surgeon, LGI Leeds.

Comment

King, Say what you want, but you are bionic! You go girl! You are my role model!
                            Susan
                            Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
                            2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
                            2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
                            2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
                            2018: Removal L4,5 screw
                            2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

Wow, going to see and sit through a whole movie at 2.5 weeks. I barely could do that at four months... :-)

Walking 1-2 miles this quickly. Sounds like you are having a great recovery.

CONGRATULATIONS!
                              Discovered scoliosis when 15 years old.
                              Wore Milwaulkee Brace for 1.5 years.
                              Top curve 85 degrees, bottom curve 60 degrees

Surgery completed August 23, 2011 (during an earthquake, can you believe that?)
                              Dr. Charles Edwards, II
                              The Spine Center at Mercy Hospital in Baltimore, MD
                              Before and after xrays:
                              http://www.valley-designs.com/myspine

Comment

Working...
                              X