What are cages and osteotomies?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are cages and osteotomies?

[B]I see that many people have these and I am just wondering what they are, why are they used? I know my surgeon never used these terms and now I wonder why? OK, thanks for everything!
    Laura

Hi Laura...

Spinal osteotomies are a small group of procedures whereby a wedge is cut into vertebrae to realign the spine. There are good drawings here of the Smith-Peterson osteotomy (the most common type of spinal osteotomy) as well as the pedicle subtraction osteotomy, which is mostly used for revision surgeries. There is also an anterior osteotomy.

Cages are spacers that are placed into the disc space (after a discectomy). The cages are usually filled with bone or osteobiologic material to encourage fusion. Cages are used in interbody fusion procedures (e.g., TLIF, XLIF, PLIF, and ALIF). If you Google any of those procedures, along with the word ANIMATION, and you'll be able to see some great examples of how cages are used.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Can't help with the "cage" but I had several osteotomies (never did find out how many) and I believe I can thank the osteotomy for the lordosis I regained.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osteotomy
      Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
      Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
      T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
      Osteotomies and Laminectomies
      Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Working...
      X