Blind Courage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blind Courage

My nights awake restless with the thoughts of all that I need to accomplish gave me some extra time to study scriptures and write. I came accross the following scripture:

"This is my command—be strong and courageous! Do not be afraid or discouraged. For the LORD your God is with you wherever you go." (Joshua 1:9)

This is a great scripture of strength and courage for us as we travel our journey of surgery and recovery. It also layed the following poem/prayer upon my heart. I wanted to share because many of you have been an inspiration to me these past few months just by watching/stalking your experiences and recovery and gave me courage to follow through with a surgery that I had put off for 15 years. You always feel like your alone until you find a group that is accepting and friendships are made all over the country. My turn for surgery will come in three short weeks, but there are many on here getting prepared to hand over complete control and this prayer of Blind Courage is for you, because in the end there is only one person in control using the hands of some amazing doctors all over the world.

Blind Courage
    By: Tamena Estes

Lord, you said you'd never leave me. To this I will tightly cling.
    In my time of pain and scared anticipation, I will look to you for direction.
    My heart is open to hear the important words you have spoken.
    So guide and lead me from the darkness.
    Thank you for my surgeons hands and the patience he has had.
    Your plan I may not always know, but with love and trust I am willing to go.
    Hold me tight in your protective arms and bring me back once your magnificent work is done.
    Last edited by tae_tap; 09-28-2012, 12:50 PM.
    Diagnosed at age 12 with a double major curve

Braced till age 15

SSBOB T12-L2 Anterior age 34. (October 22,2012) Dr. Robert Gaines Jr. ( Columbia, MO)

Revision Surgery T2-Sacrum with Pelvic Fixation Prosterior age 35 (November 13,2013) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

Revision Surgery L4/L5 due to BMP Complication age 36 (November 20,2014) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, Mo)

Revision Surgery due to broken rod scheduled for October 19, 2016 with Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

That's beautiful, Tamena. Your faith is everything - it would be so easy to get mentally & emotionally strung out about what's to come. I've said a prayer for your upcoming surgery & recovery, & hope that you continue to be bouyed up by both faith and by all the people who are praying & rooting for the very best outcome for your surgery.

LeighAnn
    Mom of 14yo son diagnosed Oct 2011
    Surgery 1/3/12 w Dr. Geof Cronen,
    Tampa General Hospital T3 to L1
    Jacob's pre surg curves: T58 & L31 12/28/11
    photos & xrays in "First-Time Surgery" thread "Before & After"

Comment

That was a beautiful prayer. You have a strong faith and you will get through this emotionally difficult period and soon be on the other side. The weeks before my surgery were absolutely the most stressful for me.
      Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
      Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
      70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
      Rib Hump-GONE!
      Age-60 at the time of surgery
      Now 66
      Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
      Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
      Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
      Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
      tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
      http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

You are so talented! And I promise, the hard part happens before surgery!

Comment

Thank you for the support guys!

Braced till age 15

SSBOB T12-L2 Anterior age 34. (October 22,2012) Dr. Robert Gaines Jr. ( Columbia, MO)

Revision Surgery T2-Sacrum with Pelvic Fixation Prosterior age 35 (November 13,2013) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

Revision Surgery L4/L5 due to BMP Complication age 36 (November 20,2014) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, Mo)

Revision Surgery due to broken rod scheduled for October 19, 2016 with Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

Comment

Tamena--
            That really is lovely! And so perfect for this surgery. Good luck. Janet
            Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
            Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
            Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
            Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
            T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

You're so talented, Tamena. I will be thinking about you and sending warm and positive thoughts your way.
              I am stronger than scoliosis, and won't let it rule my life!
              45 years old - diagnosed at age 7
              A/P surgery on March 5/7, 2013 - UCSF

Comment

Thank you Irina and Janet. I have found such strength through many on this forum.

Braced till age 15

Comment

What a beautiful poem. My faith in God is what got me through my surgery and recovery. God Bless you!
                  Sally
                  Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
                  Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
                  Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
                  Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
                  New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
                  Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Working...
                  X