Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who else has hardware down to their pelvis?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who else has hardware down to their pelvis?

I guess because of the lumbar curve and kyphosis, I had to have the rods or hardware attached at my pelvis. I had this done April 22, 2012 (major infection followed, all hardware had to be replaced, on IV antibiotics x 8 wk...I feel like my butt is soooo heavy (I weigh 112, 5'2") and I just can't sit comfortably...am I alone?
    Sincerely,
    Laura

laura, if you type in "fusion to sacrum" up on top, where it says
    advanced search, you will find many threads...
    i believe there are many on forum who had to have fusion to sacrum,
    with pelvic fixation...
    it was recommended to me, but i have put off surgery....

jess

Comment

Hi Laura,

Like many here, I have pelvic fixation. I can't say I feel it but many here say they can feel their hardware, even particular screws. I think this is a feeling that eventually either goes away or they get used to it.

As for sitting comfortably, many of us, including me, had trouble sitting for any length of time in the first weeks/months/year. It should improve as time goes by. It's a huge surgery and for most, it takes a year or more before they feel 100%.
      Last edited by JenniferG; 09-26-2012, 06:58 PM.
      Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
      Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
      T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
      Osteotomies and Laminectomies
      Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Thanks JenniferG

[B]Thanks for responding (everyone) it is comforting to know, perhaps like most of us, I'm wanting to get back to "life" so much that I have to remember that this recovery takes time! Technically, my first surgery was Mar 22, 2012...3 days post-op my surgeon said"You're still not straight, we've got to do it again, this time attaching to the pelvis". Ok, on April 16, 2012 we did it again! Went home, then began to decline...started falling, my hips would just "collapse" in an instant! Surgeon's answer? " You're taking too many narcotics...yeah, I probably was but the content burning in the center of my back was awful! Fast forward to Aug. 4, I said ENOUGH! Went to ER on a Sat, subsequent MRI showed massive infection! WBC and some labs were elevated but I never had a fever! Ok immediate surgery resulted in taking out a LITER of "stuff" and replacement of all of the hardware. 10 days later, 2 "cleanouts" I went home with a picc-line and am still on IV Nafcillin today, although I am now walking with a cane and feel so much better.
        OK, I'll pray for more patience and am so thankful to have caring people like you to be there to listen. BTW, I just turned 51 and didn't even show a bit of scoliosis until I was 47! Maybe cause I'm on the small side 5'2", 113lb is why I feel all of the hardware!
        Thanks again,
        Laura
        Last edited by Joey0917; 09-27-2012, 05:16 AM. Reason: Smile turned into question marks!

Comment

Hi Laurie,

I feel my hardware pretty much 24/7. I am 5'4" and 113lbs.
          Pam, age 49
          Thoracolumbar curves 80 and 40 corrected to 20 degrees
          April 20, 2012 surgery with Dr. Lenke
          T-3 to sacrum

Comment

Hi Twinmom

. wow, we are about the same age, about the same size, and had surgery on practically the same week! Are you walking with or without a cane or walker? Sometimes I think that if this is how I will always feel, I will go crazy!! But then I remember how I was b/4 the surgery and I guess...no, I know I am glad to be able to stand up straight. I am praying that we are just too soon out of surgery to get
            Discouraged...I hope you are doing ok, let me know (if you have time).
            Sincerely,
            Laura

Comment

Hi Laura,

I had surgery 9 weeks ago and was fused from T4 to sacrum. I am almost 67 years old and all went very well with my surgery. Dr. Lenke was my surgeon in St. Louis. I am sorry you have had such a hard time. I can sit for about an hour at a time with a cushion in my chair and a small pillow behind my back. I am walking now about 2 miles a day. I too am short. When I was younger I was 5'2" but in the last 3 1/2 years had lost 5 1/2 inches in height! I regained 2 inches with this surgery and am now 4'11". I was heavier than you before surgery and now weigh 113. I did do strength training for 3 1/2 years before my surgery. I think most of my weight loss after surgery unfortunately has been muscle mass. I can feel some soreness in both
              Hips at times but I did stop all pain meds at 6 weeks and now just take arthritis Tylenol. Any pain I have had has been primarily muscle pain but Flexeril didn't help so I stopped that too. With time I am sure things will get better for you.

Jane

Comment

Working...
              X