Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dr. Geiger or Dr. Montgomery in Michigan

Hi everyone,
    I posted this on the physician feedback board also. If anyone has any information on a Dr. Geiger out of St. Joseph Hospital in MI or a Dr. Montgomery out of Royal Oak, MI I would really appreciate hearing from you. If you have any experiences with either doctor I would be most thankful for your help. A friend has an appointment this week with Dr. Montgomery (January 26) and would like to have some knowledge before the appointment. Thanks so much!

Peggy,

I have heard of Dr. Geiger. He specializes in reconstructive spine surgery, minimally invasive spine surgery, and does both adult & pediatric scoliosis surgery. He's completed a research fellowship in Orthopedic Spine Surgery at the University of Minnesota and a spine clinical fellowship at the Twin Cities Scoliosis Spine Center, both very prestigious. So from a CV perspective, he looks pretty darn impressive. I'd be curious to hear what your friend thinks once she's met him.

I don't know much about Dr. Montgomery, other than he did complete a spinal fellowship at University of Rochester.

Hope this helps a little.

Susanna
    Susanna
    ~~~~~~
    Mother of a 17 year old daughter. Her "S" curve was 40 degree thoracic from T3 to T9, and a 70 degree rotatory thorcolumbar from T9 to L4. She was operated on March 9th, 2005 by Dr. Boachie-Adjei at the Hospital for Special Surgery in NYC. She was fused from T11 to L3, using an anterior approach, and the major curve corrected to 20 degrees. She's doing great!

Comment

Thanks Susanna, I appreciate the info!

Comment

Has Anyone Seen Dr. Geiger Yet?

Hi Peggy,

Your post is from last year. Did you (or anyone else) see Dr. Geiger yet? What did you think? I had a 2nd visit with him yesterday. His credentials are indeed excellent but he wants to fuse four additional vertebrae than Dr. Hoekstra, the surgeon I've seen for treatment for over 20 years! It's making me a bit nervous. I'd really love to hear from anyone who had their surgery from Douglas Geiger or Dale Hoekstra. Thanks!

Comment

Wendy:

We saw Dr. Hoekstra 2 years ago regarding my daughters spine. Since then, we saw three other doctors, one at U of M and two out of Wm. Beaumont. We did decided on one of the Drs. at Beaumont and was VERY pleased. Dr. Hoekstra, although his credetials were good and came recommended to us, we felt that he was rushing us into surgery and for that reason we decided to go elsewhere.
          xo Sam

Comment

I saw Dr. Montgomery when I was first diagnosed with scoliosis... A friend of the family had her op done by him and was very happy with the outcome. However, I was pretty much told to live with a 52 degree curve and pain that was getting in the way of me doing the things most important to me...

I ended up going with a Beaumont (royal oak) surgeon too. Dr. Herkowitz. He showed interest in finding a cause for my pain and increasing curve than to simply rush into surgery. But also as soon as everything else was ruled out, surgery was recommended to me, and without a long wait (could have had it done the next month). However, I heard from somebody that he is no longer handling scoliosis cases. I really hope this isn't the case, because he did such a WONDERFUL job on my back.
            Blair

Dec 15th, 2003 @ age of 20
            Posterior Fusion and CD Horizon instrumentation T2-L1.
            Surgery by Dr. Herkowitz- Beaumont Hospital of Royal Oak, Michigan
            Excellent correction of 52 degree single left thoracolumbar curve. Slight curve remains in unfused lumbar region but seems stable.
            February 5, 2005- Failed Scar Revision Surgery
            September 17, 2005- 2nd Failed Scar Revision.

Comment

Working...
            X