PDA

View Full Version : How do you use an Ipad or Amazon Kindle HD in the Immediate Post Surgery Period?

lisazena
09-18-2012, 06:17 PM
Hi,
I know I have seen people make posts from their IPad in the first three months after surgery? A Kindle Fire HD weighs less than an IPad (13 ounces), but how can you use it post surgery if you can't carry? I'm interested to know if others have made this work. Thanks.
Lisa

TwinmomTN
09-18-2012, 06:57 PM
I'm not recommending this, but I put a bed pillow on my stomach and then set it on the pillow.

lisazena
09-18-2012, 07:38 PM
I'm not recommending this, but I put a bed pillow on my stomach and then set it on the pillow.

Why are you not recommending it? Because everyone is different or because you think it caused you some problems. Thanks. And if I do this it would be with an Amazon Kindle HD Fire, which is only 13 ounces, which I think is a lot less than the iPad. Thanks for your answer Pam.

Marina63
09-18-2012, 08:09 PM
I bought an iPad expressly for use after my surgery. I had no problems carrying it around. If you are just looking for a reader, get the Kindle. The iPad does so much more. A purchase that I am so glad I made even over a year post surgery.

TwinmomTN
09-19-2012, 07:58 AM
Lisa,

That position may not be the best for the head/neck but it didn't cause me any problems. It just worked for
me for use in bed.

lisazena
09-19-2012, 08:23 AM
Thanks Pam for clarifying.
And Marina good to know you can carry it after and I was going to get a Kindle Fire HD, which is much lighter. I want to use it for more than reading.
Lisa

lisazena
09-19-2012, 08:53 AM
I bought an iPad expressly for use after my surgery. I had no problems carrying it around. If you are just looking for a reader, get the Kindle. The iPad does so much more. A purchase that I am so glad I made even over a year post surgery.

Hi Marina,
So now I know you could carry it, but how did you use it? Put it on your body or a table?
Thanks!
Lisa

Marina63
09-19-2012, 07:36 PM
Lisa, the iPad is incredibly light. I had it on my lap mostly. Or propped up against a pillow on my lap. Months later I discovered the keyboard from Logitech and it's much better than before. Like a tiny laptop. I never had a problem moving it or getting it in a comfortable position.

I LOVE my iPad :))))

golfnut
09-19-2012, 08:23 PM
During my recovery, I had time to watch a lot of Netflix movies on my Ipad and really enjoyed it.

lisazena
09-19-2012, 08:45 PM
Thanks Golfnut and Marina. I sound like a commercial, but the Kindle Fire HD is same idea as the Ipad and even lighter. I was just concerned because I know you cannot carry anything, but good to know it is not a problem.
Lisa

naptown78
09-19-2012, 09:33 PM
Thanks Golfnut and Marina. I sound like a commercial, but the Kindle Fire HD is same idea as the Ipad and even lighter. I was just concerned because I know you cannot carry anything, but good to know it is not a problem.
Lisa

Lisa,
I'm not sure why you think you can't carry things after surgery. You will have a lifting restriction of about 5-10 pounds for about 3 months but that will not limit you from carrying small items like what you are talking about.

lisazena
09-19-2012, 09:48 PM
Lisa,
I'm not sure why you think you can't carry things after surgery. You will have a lifting restriction of about 5-10 pounds for about 3 months but that will not limit you from carrying small items like what you are talking about.

Thanks--what not lifting means wasn't explained to me yet.