Physical Therapy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Physical Therapy

How many of you have had physical therapy and at what point in your recovery? I am 5 months post-op and was told by Dr. Lenke's office that I need to do p.t. I realize others have been told NOT to do p.t. so I guess this is supposed to help with the pain? I don't really understand how p. t. would reduce nerve pain. It seems to me that it would actually aggravate it. Can any of you nurses or other health professionals please chime in? Anyone else had physical therapy at or prior to the 5 month post op point? Anyone had p.t. for nerve pain specifically?

Thanks,
    Pam
    Pam, age 49
    Thoracolumbar curves 80 and 40 corrected to 20 degrees
    April 20, 2012 surgery with Dr. Lenke
    T-3 to sacrum

Our son had great experiences w PT both pre and post-surgery. He began post at 6 weeks & continues to increase weights & bands, doing the prescribed exercises after his release. Strengthening the muscles seems to help in recovery - core muscles w planks, resistance bands for upper body - shoulders, arms, traps, rhomboids, upper back. Great pain relief pre-surgery - surgeon wanted him stronger going into surgery; Jacob had continually been in a lot of pain. They focused on rhomboids & the very day he began PT he had relief - not total, but a big difference. Do whatever Dr. Lenke prescribes for you re PT. And keep walking! Best of luck to you in your recovery.
    Mom of 14yo son diagnosed Oct 2011
    Surgery 1/3/12 w Dr. Geof Cronen,
    Tampa General Hospital T3 to L1
    Jacob's pre surg curves: T58 & L31 12/28/11
    photos & xrays in "First-Time Surgery" thread "Before & After"

Comment

Originally posted by TwinmomTN View Post
      How many of you have had physical therapy and at what point in your recovery? I am 5 months post-op and was told by Dr. Lenke's office that I need to do p.t. I realize others have been told NOT to do p.t. so I guess this is supposed to help with the pain? I don't really understand how p. t. would reduce nerve pain. It seems to me that it would actually aggravate it. Can any of you nurses or other health professionals please chime in? Anyone else had physical therapy at or prior to the 5 month post op point? Anyone had p.t. for nerve pain specifically?

Thanks,
      Pam
      Hi Pam, I started PT after 6 weeks after fusion T9-S1. I cannot stress what it has done and continues to do for me. Every month I see so much more improvement. I seriously would be lost without it. Although the stretching hurts it feels so good if this makes sense. I too have nerve issues with my foot and it has helped me not so much with the nerve problem but with the ability to lift my foot up which has helped me not to stumble. I can't say enough about it, give it a try.

Comment

I was just about to ask everyone that question!

I had surgery w/Dr. Lenke August 8 and stayed 2 weeks in St. Louis rehab. which really helped. However, when I got home I had a physical therapist who had me doing an exercise that really messed up my knee--inflammation and heated up. My occupational therapist had me doing exercises that caused very painful muscle spasms in my ribs. I would suggest you be very careful which exercises you do. I would have loved to have a therapist that stretched me (that's GOOD pain). I'm putting off any more therapy until I see Dr. Lenke in October, but continuing to do the exercises I got from his therapist and rehab.
        another pam

Comment

PT post surgery

My surgeon told me I did not need PT because I was so active before surgery. The problem was, I was so eager to get back to my exercise/weight lifting routine and did not have a clue as to how to do it safely. I asked my surgeon for PT and then went to a fabulous place here in Atlanta. My therapist helped me regain strength and flexibility. She was amazing and without her, I would not have recovered as quickly as I did. I started at three months post op and went for about three months.

I am 14 months post op and am back to my regular workout routine. I have been for about six months now. I feel great. The only issue I still have is tightness in the thoracic area that comes and goes in severity. Not painful at all. Just annoying.
          50 years old!!!!!
          Wore Milwaulkee Brace 1976-77
          Original curve 36 degrees ( measured in the 70s)
          Advanced to 61 degrees 01/2011
          Surgery 07/11/2011
          Fused T1-L2 (curve now in the 20s!)

Comment

I think most of the top spine center docs start physical therapy at 6 weeks for most patients.
            Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
            ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
            Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Originally posted by LindaRacine View Post
              I think most of the top spine center docs start physical therapy at 6 weeks for most patients.
              Six weeks? Did you mean six months, Linda? Lenke's staff wouldn even discuss it until three months and has yet to prescribe it for me (at six months), despite my repeated requests. Hoping I'll get a script tomorrow!!
              age 48
              80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
              Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
              Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
              Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
              Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

Originally posted by Confusedmom View Post
                Six weeks? Did you mean six months, Linda? Lenke's staff wouldn even discuss it until three months and has yet to prescribe it for me (at six months), despite my repeated requests. Hoping I'll get a script tomorrow!!
                I am scheduled for 6 weeks to begin my pt maybe it depends on How many levels are fused.

Comment

Working...
                X