PDA

View Full Version : Hand mirror for driving assistance

TwinmomTN
09-14-2012, 09:16 PM
I wanted to share my ah-hah moment that I had today while driving to pick up my daughter from practice. Has anyone used a hand held mirror for the over the shoulder head turns like when pulling out in traffic? It just occurred to me today that was needed in my car and should help me see when I cannot turn my head far enough before pulling out into traffic.

Hated to start a new post, but wasn't sure where to put this.

djkinkead
09-14-2012, 09:46 PM
I just put comdex mirrors (little round mirrors you stick to your rear view mirrors) on each side. They are rounded so they give you a better visual scope. I put them on the bottom outside corner of each side mirror.

TwinmomTN
09-14-2012, 10:47 PM
But doesn't the comdex only help with rear views and blind spots??? I am talking about side views for pulling out into traffic.

djkinkead
09-15-2012, 08:57 PM
You are right--that doesn't help when you need to look to your side to pull out into traffic. I would be too clumsy to hold a mirror and then zoom out into traffic :-) .

I do remember being at that stage (at one year I can turn my head better), but I remember one trick entrance ramp, I would move my rear view mirror (electronic) so I could see the traffic and then move it back once I was on the road. I also would delibertly manuever the car so I had better views.

If you are not so clutzy (like me), I think the hand mirror is a good thing!

Spring72
09-16-2012, 08:32 AM
too funny, I also keep a hand mirror in my suv, on the bottom 'pocket' of the door for the same reason...thought I was the only one! lol I also have the comdex mirrors on my side mirrors and a HUGE rearview mirror but nothing will help you in certain situations like a handheld mirror. When I use it I wonder what the other drivers are thinking....ha ha, great minds think alike :)

scooter950
09-22-2012, 12:36 PM
GREAT idea! I'm going to the dollar store now....

mbeckett
09-24-2012, 01:49 PM
What a great idea. I'll add it to my list of car items. I bought 3" blind spot mirrors for my outside review mirrors but haven't stuck them on the mirrors yet.

Marjorie