Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• opinions on whether this is "real" scoliosis

Hi all

someone posted the following link on horse riding forum I'm on about Feldenkrais in scoli but it seems to me that the X rays shown do not show scoli. What are everyone else's opinions?

http://www.movementlesson.com/Scoliosis.html

Cheers

Lisel

Sure doesn't look like it to me. There are no AP (front to back) spine x-rays of the thoracic or lumbar areas, just the neck x-rays. Everything else is taken from the side and looks ok. It looks like the person is holding their head to the side, but no true curve is shown in the x-rays.

I hate it when people with apparently normal spines use them as a testimonial for how great some body work program is.

I would kill to have such beautiful, wide-open disk spaces and undegenerated vertebrae!!
    Gayle, age 50
    Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
    Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
    Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
    2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
    2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

Comment

I agree. The spine looks extremely healthy. I have to really wonder about who the heck took spine films while the patient was seated.
      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

She doesn't appear to have had anyone with training diagnose scoliosis or kyphosis. The Feldenkrais people probably told her that and they are folk scientists.

She had rounded shoulders which is NOT kyphosis. I note she is large on top. I had rounded shoulders as do many women with large chests. I don't have rounded shoulders now ONLY because I had to fix it for dressage. You cannot establish elastic contact with the bit if your shoulders aren't back and down. I wore Shoulders Back(TM) for about a year 24/7 in an effort to fix this fault in rider position. That taught me just how far back and down I needed to have my shoulderblades. In fact exercises would have done it also and I have had to essentially do that whenever I am riding to maintain it because braces are the opposite of PT in the sense of strengthening muscle. I used the brace as a proprioception training device and also to pull the front of my chest open. I had such pain with that brace at first that I needed OTC meds for a few weeks. Exercise is what she did to fix her rounded shoulders. She didn't use a brace.

There is no evidence that the sagittal angle changed in that woman or in me after PT/Shoulders Back (TM). And here she is propounding this stuff to others. The blind leading the blind leading the naked. It's just cluelessness on the wing. People settle for folk science because actual science requires too much effort apparently.
        Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
        Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Working...
        X