Spinal fusion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spinal fusion

I had a spinal fusion done in my lumbar last tuesday (sept. 4), just curious if someone else has had this surgery and how long it might be before I wake up one morning and don't want to kill myself because of the pain. Thanks.

Fusion pain

Where was your fusion specifically? I am amazed that you are able to type coherently. I was pretty much in a drug addled fog for the 2-3 weeks after my surgery.

Pain definitely lessens....unfortunately it takes time. I walked a lot around the house. To this day, over 14 months post surgery, standing and walking feel the best for my back.
    50 years old!!!!!
    Wore Milwaulkee Brace 1976-77
    Original curve 36 degrees ( measured in the 70s)
    Advanced to 61 degrees 01/2011
    Surgery 07/11/2011
    Fused T1-L2 (curve now in the 20s!)

Comment

L5-S1 were fused. I ran out of pain medication this morning and my surgeon's office didn't call me back yesterday. I don't know what to do other than cry.

Comment

Guess I'm headed to the emergency room...any other ideas?

Comment

I am so sorry to hear you have so much pain! I can't believe they only gave you enough meds to last a week or so. Did you go to the ER? How are you doing now?
          50 years old!!!!!
          Wore Milwaulkee Brace 1976-77
          Original curve 36 degrees ( measured in the 70s)
          Advanced to 61 degrees 01/2011
          Surgery 07/11/2011
          Fused T1-L2 (curve now in the 20s!)

Comment

I'm fixed! (well, as fixed as I can be)

Called the doctor's office when they opened this morning because I had a whole lot of drainage, which I haven't had since like the day after surgery so it scared me. When I went in they x-rayed me, took blood to make sure there's no infection, said my incisions look wonderful AND they gave me stronger pain meds. SO glad he's my doctor, that staff is the shiz-nitz!
            Thank you all for your concern and advice...love this board.

Comment

Amazing the difference adequate pain control makes! Very glad to hear you've received the help you need.

It always horrifies me that people are sent home without enough pain meds, or advice on how to get it. We all need pain meds for weeks or months, not a few days.
              Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
              Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
              T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
              Osteotomies and Laminectomies
              Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Be sure to keep an eye on the number of pills you have, and call for a refill at least 3-4 days prior to running out. Potent narcotics require a special prescription that cannot be faxed or called in.

--Linda
                Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

I agree with Linda. What do people that live alone do for refills? It must be hard to go get your own refills so few days postop. Count your pills and plan ahead, maybe on a calendar. So sorry that you found yourself in such pain. I imagine that it was agonizing.
                  Susan
                  Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
                  2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
                  2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
                  2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
                  2018: Removal L4,5 screw
                  2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

Working...
                  X