PDA

View Full Version : Spinal fusion

andromeda441
09-13-2012, 05:06 AM
I had a spinal fusion done in my lumbar last tuesday (sept. 4), just curious if someone else has had this surgery and how long it might be before I wake up one morning and don't want to kill myself because of the pain. Thanks.

Marina63
09-13-2012, 05:38 AM
Where was your fusion specifically? I am amazed that you are able to type coherently. I was pretty much in a drug addled fog for the 2-3 weeks after my surgery.

Pain definitely lessens....unfortunately it takes time. I walked a lot around the house. To this day, over 14 months post surgery, standing and walking feel the best for my back.

andromeda441
09-13-2012, 05:47 AM
L5-S1 were fused. I ran out of pain medication this morning and my surgeon's office didn't call me back yesterday. I don't know what to do other than cry.

andromeda441
09-13-2012, 07:42 AM
Guess I'm headed to the emergency room...any other ideas?

Marina63
09-13-2012, 10:16 AM
I am so sorry to hear you have so much pain! I can't believe they only gave you enough meds to last a week or so. Did you go to the ER? How are you doing now?

andromeda441
09-13-2012, 11:52 AM
Called the doctor's office when they opened this morning because I had a whole lot of drainage, which I haven't had since like the day after surgery so it scared me. When I went in they x-rayed me, took blood to make sure there's no infection, said my incisions look wonderful AND they gave me stronger pain meds. SO glad he's my doctor, that staff is the shiz-nitz!
Thank you all for your concern and advice...love this board.

JenniferG
09-13-2012, 03:15 PM
Amazing the difference adequate pain control makes! Very glad to hear you've received the help you need.

It always horrifies me that people are sent home without enough pain meds, or advice on how to get it. We all need pain meds for weeks or months, not a few days.

LindaRacine
09-13-2012, 11:21 PM
Be sure to keep an eye on the number of pills you have, and call for a refill at least 3-4 days prior to running out. Potent narcotics require a special prescription that cannot be faxed or called in.

--Linda

susancook
09-14-2012, 05:18 AM
I agree with Linda. What do people that live alone do for refills? It must be hard to go get your own refills so few days postop. Count your pills and plan ahead, maybe on a calendar. So sorry that you found yourself in such pain. I imagine that it was agonizing.
Susan