PDA

View Full Version : My turn to Straighten up and Fly Right!

AngieM
09-07-2012, 08:53 PM
I have been following and learning from your forum for two years now and am about to have surgery on September 24 with Dr. Lenke. A huge “Thank You!” to all of you as I owe you so much. I am 74 years old (yes, it happens) and was diagnosed with scoliosis (thoracic) at 13 – past my growth spurt and at my adult height. My back didn’t hurt then and still doesn’t. So I put it “behind me,” as I like to say.

In my 40’s I had a thoracic curve of about 30 degrees. But in my 60’s (trying on clothes in a department store), I could see that the small indent on the left side of my lower back had grown to be a big indent. I don’t remember how I found your forum, but am very grateful that I did.

My initial consult with Dr. Lenke was on November 16, 2011 and my Pre-Op appointment was Wednesday, August 15, 2012. I have never tried to post on a forum before, but look forward to meeting you all on the Forum.

All the Best,
Angie

Surgery Planned with Dr. Lenke on Sept. 24, 2012 – 74 years
Thoracic (66 degrees), Lumbar (66 Degrees),
Idiopathic Scoliosis, Kyphosis
Surgery Planned with Dr. Lenke on Sept. 24, 2012
Posterior Spinal Fusion T1/2 – Sacrum

susancook
09-07-2012, 09:14 PM
Welcome, Angie! We have a great group of us "older" persons with scoliosis on the forum. I am 66 and have not had surgery as I was only diagnosed last year although I had pain much before that and tons of physical therapy. What a surprise! I am certain that you are probably in pretty good shape and I think, from what I have heard that you have an awesome surgeon! Best of luck to you!
Another twisted sister, Susan

JenniferG
09-07-2012, 09:18 PM
Welcome Angie! I'm glad you've learned a lot from the forum, I think we all do. How amazing that you still have no pain. If we must have scoliosis, that's the kind we all want. Are you having pelvic fixation? If you have any last minute questions, fire away. Wishing you the best of luck on the 24th. Please let us know how you go.

PS you've done a great job for a forum newbie - signature and all!

AngieM
09-08-2012, 10:53 AM
Welcome, Angie! We have a great group of us "older" persons with scoliosis on the forum. I am 66 and have not had surgery as I was only diagnosed last year although I had pain much before that and tons of physical therapy. What a surprise! I am certain that you are probably in pretty good shape and I think, from what I have heard that you have an awesome surgeon! Best of luck to you!
Another twisted sister, Susan

I am, probably, the older of the "older" persons on the forum and that's the reason I felt I had to join in. Of course, I have no idea how I will be able to handle this surgery (which is going to be the biggest challenge ever for me!). No matter, I need to let you all know what scoliosis surgery is like at my age. I owe you that, because I wouldn't be taking this step without the help you all gave me.

I am getting in better shape all the time, because I have recently started walking more regularly. For my Pre-Op last month I was proud to tell my surgeon that I was now walking 2 miles on the treadmill. When I asked what else I needed to do, he answered "Walk 3 miles!" And now I am.

All the Best,
Angie

Doodles
09-08-2012, 08:37 PM
Angie--
We're so happy you joined us. How nice that you will share your experiences. It sounds like you are doing all the preparations for mind and body. You already know you've got a great surgeron! Best wishes. Janet

golfnut
09-08-2012, 08:42 PM
Welcome to the forum, Angie. You have probably already been to Dr. Lenke's web site where a few women in their 70's have amazing before and after pictures. Best of luck with your surgery and recovery. You can do it!

mabeckoff
09-08-2012, 08:49 PM
Wishing you all the best

kennedy
09-08-2012, 09:09 PM
Angie! your welcome.

titaniumed
09-09-2012, 04:26 AM
Angie

You did it! Your first thread. That’s the easy part. The posts are much harder to do. (smiley face)

You have had scoliosis for a long time...and with the math correct, you were diagnosed in 1951. Where was this? Did you see a scoli surgeon back then? and who was it and what did they say back then?

Ed

hasteffen
09-09-2012, 03:49 PM
Hi Angie,
My initial consult with Dr. Lenke was the same as yours... I probably was in the waiting room with you! Welcome to the forum. Please keep us updated on your recovery. I am sure we will all be thinking about you. The wait has flown by for me until now and October 5th seems to be taking forever to get here. Take care and best wishes for a successful surgery and recovery!
Heidi

AngieM
09-09-2012, 04:30 PM
Welcome Angie! I'm glad you've learned a lot from the forum, I think we all do. How amazing that you still have no pain. If we must have scoliosis, that's the kind we all want. Are you having pelvic fixation? If you have any last minute questions, fire away. Wishing you the best of luck on the 24th. Please let us know how you go.

PS you've done a great job for a forum newbie - signature and all!

It's amazing that I feel like I know you, already, after reading all your posts. It's true that my scoliosis has given me no pain, but if I am standing in the kitchen for a really long time, my left lower back gets very tired. If I can sit down for a while, or lie down, that feeling goes away. But still, my back is very distorted, and I am quite out of balance - leaning to the left and forward, Ugh. My surgery is planned from T1/T2 (probably T/2) to Sacrum, with Pelvic Fixation.

I worried for two years, about whether I would be able to navigate the forum. After my Pre-Op visit, I wrote my introduction and waited until our son came to visit for the weekend to post it for me and show me how to reply. He left this morning and was a great help to Hank (hubby) and I. We exercised, bought a replacement printer, installed a new toilet, took our sailboat out for an afternoon, and posted (last but not least) on your forum!

All the Best,
Angie

AngieM
09-09-2012, 04:42 PM
Angie--
We're so happy you joined us. How nice that you will share your experiences. It sounds like you are doing all the preparations for mind and body. You already know you've got a great surgeron! Best wishes. Janet

Thank you, Janet. I am hoping that my hubby, Hank, will be able to post for me after surgery, because we (that includes me) all want to know what surgery will be like at my age. Finding the surgeon that I did is what made the decision easy. And, yes I have been reading up on positivity, meditation, mindfulness, etc.

All the Best, Angie

AngieM
09-09-2012, 04:52 PM
Welcome to the forum, Angie. You have probably already been to Dr. Lenke's web site where a few women in their 70's have amazing before and after pictures. Best of luck with your surgery and recovery. You can do it!

Hi, Karen, and thank you for the warm welcome. I know you well from your posts that I have followed closely. Like me, you haven't had pain before surgery - and you are still very glad you did. Tap dancing and getting back to golf - how great is that! Glad you reminded me about Dr. Lenke's website, I'll check out the older women to see what I can, realistically, expect. Thank you for your best wishes, Angie

AngieM
09-09-2012, 05:04 PM
Wishing you all the best

Thank you, Melissa, for your good wishes. I am one of the many that have been following you since you first started posting. This has been a really tough journey for you, but you have handled it with courage and resillence. Totally inspiring! Hoping for good outcomes for you going forward. Luv, Angie

AngieM
09-09-2012, 05:09 PM
Angie! your welcome.

I hope you are happy with your surgery, Kara. How great to have done it at your age! I had scoliosis then, also, but probably a 30 degree thoracic curve.
All the Best, Angie

mabeckoff
09-09-2012, 05:36 PM
Thank you, Melissa, for your good wishes. I am one of the many that have been following you since you first started posting. This has been a really tough journey for you, but you have handled it with courage and resillence. Totally inspiring! Hoping for good outcomes for you going forward. Luv, Angie

Thanks for your good wishes. I am really looking forward to my next surgery. I hope it will help with my neck pain. My husband will post here so you will know how I fare with the surgery.

AngieM
09-09-2012, 07:41 PM
Angie

You did it! Your first thread. That’s the easy part. The posts are much harder to do. (smiley face)

You have had scoliosis for a long time...and with the math correct, you were diagnosed in 1951. Where was this? Did you see a scoli surgeon back then? and who was it and what did they say back then?

Ed

Hi, Ed,
Thank you for your many posts. It's so encouraging to think of you skiing (and painting your garage) with a fused back.

Your math is correct. As far as I can remember I saw a "back doctor," after my Mom discovered I had scoliosis. First she took me back to our family doctor, who I had been seeing weekly for hay fever shots and asked him why didn't he ever check my back? I guess he referred us to a "back doctor" who was knowledgable about scoliosis. He said that I was too old to brace and already past my growth spurt. ( I was very tall at a very young age, always the tallest in the class until high school.) Then he said my back wasn't bad enough for surgery; instead, he sent a woman to our home to teach me exercises, mostly isometric. (I didn't keep them up and I think she said I didn't have to?)

All the Best,
Angie

Pooka1
09-09-2012, 07:51 PM
Hi Angie,

The thing is, with a 30* T curve in your forties, the paradigm is that you would need never have to worry about progression to surgical range. But yet here you are. There are several others who are in your shoes on this forum. And now you have two major curves, not one. That said, it took you a long time to reach this point so that's a positive.

Good luck with the surgery.

Sharon

AngieM
09-09-2012, 08:49 PM
Hi Angie,
My initial consult with Dr. Lenke was the same as yours... I probably was in the waiting room with you! Welcome to the forum. Please keep us updated on your recovery. I am sure we will all be thinking about you. The wait has flown by for me until now and October 5th seems to be taking forever to get here. Take care and best wishes for a successful surgery and recovery!
Heidi

Thank You, Heidi,
We probably were in the waiting room at the same time, because we remember being there a long time. I am hoping that my husband will post my progress after surgery. When you have your surgery, I should be in Rehab. The wait took a long time for me, until now when it feels like it's on top of me. I am working to get into shape, and I still have pre-surgery appointments to make, Forte to order, etc. Best wishes to you - a great surgery and easy recovery, Angie

AngieM
09-09-2012, 09:59 PM
Hi Angie,

The thing is, with a 30* T curve in your forties, the paradigm is that you would need never have to worry about progression to surgical range. But yet here you are. There are several others who are in your shoes on this forum. And now you have two major curves, not one. That said, it took you a long time to reach this point so that's a positive.

Good luck with the surgery.

Sharon

Thank You, Sharon,
You're exactly right. I should have known, but didn't, that curves progress over time. I also didn't know about compensatory curves. All that, plus my back never hurt, allowed me to not do anything about it or even check it for many years. I am grateful to all of you on the Forum for sharing your knowledge and experiences. Your posts are always on the mark and informative. All the Best, Angie

AngieM
09-22-2012, 09:39 PM
Hi, to everyone,

After a full schedule of doctor visits, blood tests, a Pulmonary Function Test, a Stress Test, a CAT Scan, Bone Density Tests, Teeth Cleaning, etc., we finally drove up to St. Louis for Friday's central line and check-up exam at Anesthesiology! Everyone that we met at the Hospital was extremely helpful and qualified. That gave us a lot of confidence going into this surgery.

A big "Thank You" to whoever suggested the Drury Inn and Suites. We love this place! As they say, this is "where the extras aren't extra!" - full hot breakfast in the morning, cocktails and hot food in the evening, indoor-outdoor pool, exercise room, etc. Don't forget to ask for the "hospital rate."

Al the Best, Angie

hasteffen
09-23-2012, 07:10 AM
Angie,
Wishing you a peaceful day. I will be thinking about you tomorrow and praying for your recovery.
Best,
Heidi

AngieM
09-23-2012, 05:28 PM
Hi, Everyone,

Just to keep you updated - the day of surgery does finally roll around and for me it's tomorrow! And I am feeling pretty good about it all. After all it's time already - I'm 74!

We are having a beautiful, warm and sunny day in St. Louis. After visiting the Missouri Botanical Garden yesterday, it was suggested that we spend today at Forest Park. It is lovely and includes a zoo, art museum, World's Fair pavilions, and a skating rink in winter/beach volley ball in summer. We stopped at the Boathouse Restaurant on the lake and had a great lunch outside on the water's edge. It was picture perfect!

Tonight I will be turning in early after scrubbing down with the anti-bacterial lotion I was given and shampooing my hair (without conditioners or hair products). I will be sleeping on fresh clean sheets, as I was instructed. Tomorrow we will get up at 4a and repeat the shower with the remainder of the anti-bacterial lotion and I will shampoo my hair (again without conditioners, etc.)
I will dress in clean clothes and show up at 5:30a, squeaky clean for surgery to begin at about 7:30a! I am hoping my husband will be able to post and let you know how I am doing...

All the Best, Angie

mabeckoff
09-23-2012, 06:36 PM
Glad that you had a nice day today. Prayers for you tomorrow

golfnut
09-23-2012, 08:36 PM
Angie,
My thoughts and prayers will be with you tomorrow. You will do just fine. Dr. Lenke is the best and you have done your part. I will be looking for your posts. Best of luck!

Doodles
09-23-2012, 08:38 PM
Angie--
I need to get caught up on here. It's great to see tomorrow is the day for you. Positive thoughts and prayers for you tomorrow and through recovery! Janet

JenniferG
09-24-2012, 12:09 AM
Wishing you the best for tomorrow! You sound positive and excited, one of the lucky ones who reach that point just prior to surgery.

I'll be looking out for your good news!

hasteffen
09-24-2012, 06:31 AM
It is 6:30 St. Louis time and I know you are getting ready for your big day. Your wait is finally OVER! I will be thinking about you and praying for a successful outcome and smooth recovery
Best,
Heidi

tae_tap
09-24-2012, 06:55 AM
Good luck today! I will be praying!
Tamena

gardenia
09-24-2012, 10:57 AM
By now, you must be feeling roughed up but know that you will have years ahead without pain.

Gardenia
Nov 27, 2012 surgery w/Dr Bridwell

life
09-24-2012, 11:06 AM
Does anyone know Dr Paul Glazer(BID hospital boston) and would you recommend him for surgery?

JenniferG
09-24-2012, 06:06 PM
Hope everything went smoothly and you are resting comfortably.

king14
09-25-2012, 08:53 AM
Thinking of you Angie!!! Hope your getting some rest and are healing wonderfully!! The hard part is over! :)

AngieM
09-26-2012, 05:39 PM
This is Angie's husband with a progress report on Angie since her Surgery.

Everything went exceeding well during a difficult surgery which lasted all of ten hours. She spent the next 40 hours after surgery in the ICU. The first 16 hours still hooked up to a breathing tube (no talking, but communicating by hand signals). Angie stayed in bed the 1st day after surgery, she was feeling good on the meds, mostly intravenous Tylenol and occasionally an oral pain killer. No solid foods into the second day. Before noon on the second day Angie walked a few steps with a wheeled walker and sat in a straight-back chair for an hour. Around 3 pm, the second day after surgery, she moved out of the ICU and to the Orthopedic Ward. The nurses say should be here for about five days of watchful relaxing and exercises. So far so good.

JenniferG
09-26-2012, 06:41 PM
Thank you so much Angie's husband! That's wonderful news. Ten hours! That's one huge surgery. She's doing remarkably well. May her recovery continue smoothly and uneventfully. Great to get that news!

hasteffen
09-26-2012, 09:00 PM
Thank you for the update! Hang in there, Angie. We are all thinking about you.

Doodles
09-26-2012, 10:25 PM
Thanks for this info. It sounds like Angie is doing well at this early stage! Keeping her in thoughts and prayers as she goes into recovery phase. All the best. Janet

AngieM
09-28-2012, 03:19 PM
Thank you for your kind replies. This is Angie's husband posting for her during her recovery from surgery, Sep. 24th. Angie started solid food today and had her longest walk (40 yards). She has been getting out of bed 2 or 3 time per day and is feeling better every day, even as they ease off the pain meds. Her back is looking great - she has grown 2 inches since Monday.

JenniferG
09-28-2012, 03:33 PM
Thank you for your kind replies. This is Angie's husband posting for her during her recovery from surgery, Sep. 24th. Angie started solid food today and had her longest walk (40 yards). She has been getting out of bed 2 or 3 time per day and is feeling better every day, even as they ease off the pain meds. Her back is looking great - she has grown 2 inches since Monday.

Angie's doing so well - and easing off her pain meds so soon? <where's that bug-eyed smilie?>

How different she must look - straight and tall!

Keep up the good work, Angie!

golfnut
09-28-2012, 07:24 PM
Thank you for posting for Angie. It sounds like she is doing really well for her first few days. Tell her we are all rooting for a smooth recovery.

jackieg412
09-28-2012, 07:54 PM
Such great news--keep up the good work!

AngieM
11-05-2012, 11:43 AM
Hi Everyone,

Thank you so much for your well wishes and prayers that got me through my surgery. I am thrilled with the results. I'm 2 inches taller and straight way beyond anything I ever hoped for! My surgery was longer than expected and Dr. Lenke had to use long screws because of my osteoporotic bones.
Here's a quick summary of my post-op recovery . . .

Week 1 post-op,
I was discharged after 1 week in the hospital. The doctors and nurses all said everything was going great in all respects and I did not qualify for any further special care or rehab. They seemed to believe we can now make it on our own without their full time help and any more training sessions. We hoped they must know what they are doing, they'd been right on everything else so far. We moved back into the Drury Hotel where we initially planned to stay another 4 or 5 days, practicing what we'd learned, before the long drive back to Florida.

Week 3 post-op,
We ended up staying 2 weeks at the Drury hotel because I didn't feel like I could sit for long enough in the car to make any headway on our trip home. I also had very little energy and appetite, and started to have a shooting pain from my hip to my knee especially when sitting. The doctor prescribed a steroid which alleviated some of the pain and certainly got me feeling well enough to get on the road. We finally left St. Louis driving slow and easy, about 4 hours per day with stops and walking every hour. When I got tired, we just pulled into the nearest Hotel or Motel and spent the night.

Week 4 post-op,
We arrived home on Oct 16th. All I could say was "there's no place like home, there's no place like home", just like Dorothy in the Wizard of OZ. Needless to say it was great to be home. I was doing well in all respects, and finally getting an appetite back, walking easier and starting to ease off all meds.

Week 6 post-op,
For the past 2 weeks, I've been walking regularly but have not wanted to be out of the house. I'm officially off all pain medication for a week now. The oxycodone did not suit me well because of the nausea and constipation and I was only taking 2.5mg every four hours since right after surgery. Boy, I'll tell you getting off that oxycodone was rough though, not because of the pain, but because of the withdrawal side effects (mostly headache and sweating during the night). I didn't feel good on oxycodone and I didn't feel good coming off of it. I've had very little pain since surgery but still have the mild shooting pain from my hip to my knee on my left side when sitting. The oxycodone never really helped with that pain anyway.
My daughter is visiting for a long weekend and she finally got me out and about, shopping for food and a bra that fits my new shape and out to my favorite restaurant. I'm curious to see how I'll feel after she leaves.

Love and hugs,
Angie

Surgery with Dr. Lenke on Sept. 24, 2012 – 74 years
Thoracic (66 degrees), Lumbar (66 Degrees),
Idiopathic Scoliosis, Kyphosis
Posterior Spinal Fusion T1/2 – Sacrum

golfnut
11-05-2012, 04:00 PM
Angie,
Thanks for your update. It sounds like you are doing really well for so early in your recovery. I can't imagine how you made it from St. Louis to Florida, even with stopping every 4 hours. I'm so thankful I had a 30 minute drive from Barnes to our house. Best of luck with your recovery.

yacpatty
11-05-2012, 05:00 PM
Hi Angie,

I was so anxious to hear drom you. I was tickled pink to hear how good you are doing. I am also an oldster, being 61, and having surgery in St. Louis on Dec 11. My husband and I have been flying back and forth from Harrisburg, Pa. to St. Louis for all my visits...I can't imagine driving home to Florida after your surgery. Please keep me updated. I am also being fused to the sacrum and worried about the pain but was elated to see you went shopping 6 weeks out. How is your sitting 2 months after surgery? I wish I would be recovering in the warm weather in Florida. Take care and keep us posted.

Blessings,
Patty

yacpatty
11-05-2012, 05:04 PM
Angie,

How long was your fusion?

Patty

AngieM
02-03-2013, 09:18 PM
Hi, All!
At 4 months I think I am doing great, at least I feel great. I had an X-Ray this week, which noted that my hardware appears intact. Can anyone remember when it was OK to bend, as in put things in or out of lower cupboards, the floor, the dryer, etc., etc? I have been using my grabber whenever possible. But whenever I forget, I can feel it in my left hip so I am guessing that's not good.

mabeckoff
02-03-2013, 09:46 PM
Hi, All!
At 4 months I think I am doing great, at least I feel great. I had an X-Ray this week, which noted that my hardware appears intact. Can anyone remember when it was OK to bend, as in put things in or out of lower cupboards, the floor, the dryer, etc., etc? I have been using my grabber whenever possible. But whenever I forget, I can feel it in my left hip so I am guessing that's not good.

I would ask your surgeon as he will know best

golfnut
02-04-2013, 07:18 PM
Angie,
I didn't attempt to bend too much until I was six months post-op and still usually went down on one knee most of the time keeping my back straight. I pulled a chair up to the dishwasher and removed the dishes to the table before standing and putting them away. I have a front loader washer and dryer, and stil used my grabber. I just decided that it wasn't worth it to rush things during this important time of fusing. It's nice to hear from you, again.

AngieM
04-12-2013, 04:56 PM
My 6 Month Check Up with Dr. Lenke is in the afternoon of April 17.
Will anyone else be there also? Maybe we could get together.

Any suggestions on what to ask the Doctor? It will be my first
appointment since surgery and I am really looking forward to it.

Thanks, Angie

JenniferG
04-13-2013, 01:43 AM
Angie, I had been wondering how you're going. Great I hope?

Confusedmom
04-13-2013, 10:49 PM
Angie,

I am pretty sure Heidi and TwinMomTN (Pam) will be there on the 17th and Linda (Babyboomer) on the 18th. You might want to PM them. Bummed I missed you gals by a few weeks!

Evelyn

AngieM
06-29-2013, 08:25 PM
Hi, Everyone,

I have been keeping up with you all, but am very late to update my thread. My 6 Month Check Up went very well and it was SO good to see my surgeon and his staff. I learned that I gained 2 inches (which is amazing), my X-Rays look good, and my posture was good. I had no complaints, except that my neck bothers me when sleeping. I was reading a short list of questions. Dr. Lenke took the paper that I was bent over and lifted it way up to my head, suggesting that that was the way I should be holding it. He reminded me of what he said at my first appointment, that heads are heavy and tend to pull us forward and downward. He said that I should keep my head up and my husband should remind me! That is something that doctors who perform long surgeries are very aware of...

Since he knew we live far from St. Louis, he suggested that I not come for my one year check up, and just come for the two year! I forgot to ask what exercises I should do. But found out that I can walk on the treadmill.

Missed you, AngieM

P.S. Hope to post my X-Rays soon.

susancook
06-29-2013, 08:44 PM
So glad that everything went well. Continue to take your calcium and do weight bearing exercise. My only worry about treadmills is that it might be set too fast and then you might fall.

Hugs, Susan

golfnut
06-29-2013, 09:38 PM
Hi, Angie,
It's so good to hear from you. It sounds like you are doing well. I definitely noticed improvements between 6 months and a year, between 1 and 2 years, and now in my 3rd year, it's the best yet. Dr. Lenke is amazing and I am so thankful he was my surgeon. Keep up the good work.

Irina
06-29-2013, 10:07 PM
Glad to hear that you're doing so well, Angie! Thanks for sharing.

gardenia
06-30-2013, 02:14 PM
[QUOTE=AngieM;151894]Hi, Everyone,
...... I can walk on the treadmill.

HI Angie,
After my 6 months visit with Dr. Bridwell in the beginning of May, I came home and bought a treadmill. I started upping my speed from a comfortable speed to 1.8m/h as I heard the PT saying that it is the speed required to walk across a street.

I did not hear or remember the part (according to my daughter) that he said: by the year mark you should be walking at that speed.

I over walked with speed and time in the last weeks of May and beg of June. Then, my tailbone started to hurt really bad slowly going up my spine. Then, I smartly figured out that the screws to my hips were being affected somehow. So, I rested for 2 weeks then did a bit on and off.

I now, feel all my back muscles go into spasm and I could not sleep on my sides as of 2 nights. The weight on my hip area is there sooooooo... take it slow.

I must have some loose screws on my brain area and figured that tissue around the hip or elsewhere must have suffered somewhat.

I live in Baja California so it is not all that convenient to get an appointment to check this out with Dr Bridwell as I don't think it is anything that can be fixed.

So, please take caution. I had almost zero pain the first 6 months and since I have gone up a couple of numbers due to my back muscles.

gardenia

AngieM
09-27-2014, 02:24 PM
September 24th was the Two Year Anniversary of my Scoliosis Surgery in St. Louis with Dr. Lenke. I owe so much to all of you who educated me and helped me along the path of finding the right surgery and surgeon for me. (Golfnut, Doreen1, Jennifer G, titaniumed, susancook, mabeckoff, Pooka1, gardenia, yacpatty, and confusedmom - to name a few) I consider myself very fortunate as I had no pain before or after surgery and understand that one cannot count on such an outcome.

Now I am working on walking outside (and not on the treadmill), because I am convinced that is the best exercise. And also becoming a better driver, especially merging in traffic by turning my whole upper body.

Again, my gratitude and thanks to the NSF Forum. This would not have been possible without all of you. All the best, AngieM

titaniumed
09-27-2014, 09:51 PM
This is good news.....thanks for the update Angie

In my signature, I have age 55, the new 39. If you did your signature the same way, what would your new age be?

I have been 39 for 5 years now, so that has to be raised at some point. (smiley face)

Ed

PeggyS
09-28-2014, 08:57 AM
Angie! Congrats on your 2 yr anniversary! I agree with you about the value of this forum! I've learned a great deal and I'll be going to St. Louis for my surgery this fall.

AngieM
09-28-2014, 10:40 AM
Hi, Ed,

I am glad you asked because I wanted to add surgery facts, etc. to the bottom of my reply but could not figure how to do it. In answer to your question I would say: 74 at time of surgery, now 76 the new 60. Yeah, I was feeling great at 60!
Maybe, and hopefully, you are the new 40!

All the best, Angie

AngieM
09-28-2014, 10:54 AM
Thank you Peggy.

I looked up your surgeon, Dr. Buchowski. A very impressive resume, I have to say and I wonder how you came to find him. Does he do a lot of scoliosis surgeries? It looks like he does a lot with kyphosis and that might be your main concern?

All the best, Angie

titaniumed
09-28-2014, 01:59 PM
I would say: 74 at time of surgery, now 76 the new 60. Yeah, I was feeling great at 60!

I find it amazing how some of us can make it so long with large curves.....I couldn’t make it past age 49, my pain levels were completely out of control. You made it a long time, and I’m assuming you recovered just fine.

In my signature I did lift my age up a tad only because of my neck. I had 2 cervical herniation’s diagnosed in April 2013, and I guess the best way to look at it now is like having a tire patched.... I’m rolling along but don’t know when I will need new tires. I try not to freak out about it if the pain is manageable.

Congratulations!

For your Signature;
FORUM
FORUM ACTIONS
EDIT PROFILE
MY SETTINGS
EDIT SIGNATURE (Enter your data)

Ed

golfnut
09-28-2014, 08:43 PM
Angie,
Congratulations on a good 2 year report. I am happy to hear you are doing so well. It will be 4 years for me in January. I don't know where the time goes. Keep walking. I truly believe it's the best exercise.

susancook
09-29-2014, 10:15 PM
Angie, awesome 2 year visit! I just tuned 68, and am planning on finding the New Susan at 70. Keep walking. You are amazing and a great role model!
Susan

PeggyS
09-29-2014, 10:31 PM
Hi Angie!

Dr. Lenke referred me to Dr. Buchowski. I sent my medical records & MRI to Dr. Lenke to request an appt. His PA called to tell me I wasn't 'bad' enough for Dr. Lenke to take on & he was referring me to a dr he had trained. He's part of the 'group' with Lenke, etc.

Last year, my Columbus, OH dr told me his skills were adequate for my type of surgery since he does 1 or 2 a year. I turned to this forum for help & the consensus was to 'run'! I met with Dr. Buchowski last Oct. and I have a pre-surgery appt with him this week.

tae_tap
09-30-2014, 07:56 AM
Hi Angie!

Dr. Lenke referred me to Dr. Buchowski. I sent my medical records & MRI to Dr. Lenke to request an appt. His PA called to tell me I wasn't 'bad' enough for Dr. Lenke to take on & he was referring me to a dr he had trained. He's part of the 'group' with Lenke, etc.

Last year, my Columbus, OH dr told me his skills were adequate for my type of surgery since he does 1 or 2 a year. I turned to this forum for help & the consensus was to 'run'! I met with Dr. Buchowski last Oct. and I have a pre-surgery appt with him this week.

Peggy,
When are you in meeting with Dr. Buchowski?

Tamena

PeggyS
09-30-2014, 12:17 PM
Tamena-

Tomorrow! Darn, I see that you'll be there next week. I'm having tests & meeting with Dr. buchowski. (A couple of tests were completed in my hometown.) After that, I plan to start a thread about surgery journey.