No announcement yet.

Can Yoga Stop Progression of Scoliosis?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can Yoga Stop Progression of Scoliosis?

Is there any scientific evidence that yoga can stop progression of scoliosis?

I am really getting into yoga and wonder if doing it on a regular basis can stop the progression of scoliosis or it's a wishful thinking. I understand that yoga can improve the posture, help with pain and built up muscles, but can it really hault the progression?
    I am stronger than scoliosis, and won't let it rule my life!
    45 years old - diagnosed at age 7
    A/P surgery on March 5/7, 2013 - UCSF

Hi Irina...

This has never been studied. If it was studied, I hope that progression would not be a goal, as one would need a relatively long follow-up to know anything. At UCSF, we've discussed a yoga and scoliosis study. There are a lot of coqnssssiderations when setting up a random controlled study, so I've had to put it off until I have more free time.

For the time being, you should check out www.yogaforscoliosis.com. Elise Browning Miller has managed to avoid surgery.

Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Originally posted by LindaRacine View Post
      Hi Irina...

This has never been studied. If it was studied, I hope that progression would not be a goal, as one would need a relatively long follow-up to know anything. At UCSF, we've discussed a yoga and scoliosis study. There are a lot of coqnssssiderations when setting up a random controlled study, so I've had to put it off until I have more free time.

For the time being, you should check out www.yogaforscoliosis.com. Elise Browning Miller has managed to avoid surgery.

Linda
      I am taking classes with Elise...
      I am stronger than scoliosis, and won't let it rule my life!
      45 years old - diagnosed at age 7
      A/P surgery on March 5/7, 2013 - UCSF

Comment

Working...
      X