PDA

View Full Version : Can Yoga Stop Progression of Scoliosis?

Irina
09-04-2012, 03:20 PM
Is there any scientific evidence that yoga can stop progression of scoliosis?

I am really getting into yoga and wonder if doing it on a regular basis can stop the progression of scoliosis or it's a wishful thinking. I understand that yoga can improve the posture, help with pain and built up muscles, but can it really hault the progression?

LindaRacine
09-05-2012, 08:34 AM
Hi Irina...

This has never been studied. If it was studied, I hope that progression would not be a goal, as one would need a relatively long follow-up to know anything. At UCSF, we've discussed a yoga and scoliosis study. There are a lot of coqnssssiderations when setting up a random controlled study, so I've had to put it off until I have more free time.

For the time being, you should check out www.yogaforscoliosis.com. Elise Browning Miller has managed to avoid surgery.

Linda

Irina
09-05-2012, 10:57 AM
Hi Irina...

This has never been studied. If it was studied, I hope that progression would not be a goal, as one would need a relatively long follow-up to know anything. At UCSF, we've discussed a yoga and scoliosis study. There are a lot of coqnssssiderations when setting up a random controlled study, so I've had to put it off until I have more free time.

For the time being, you should check out www.yogaforscoliosis.com. Elise Browning Miller has managed to avoid surgery.

Linda

I am taking classes with Elise...