PDA

View Full Version : what works for you?

achin_back
01-21-2005, 11:18 PM
what treatment methods would you recommend to others?

IansMommy
02-23-2005, 09:18 PM
For myself, I had chiropractic care. However, for my son, he is going to Shriners Hospital to see if casting will help him.

tommyo
06-17-2005, 10:45 PM
Could people post what these "other exercises" are?

JillfromCanada
06-18-2005, 03:08 AM
massage therapy can work wonders...

i also went to a personal trainer, and he designed a program for me (including stretches) that i can follow to strengthen my core and my spine.

keep in mind this is all post-surgery.

nutmeg
06-20-2005, 12:15 AM
The "other exercises" that worked for me are the Alexander technique.
Not that I had any massive problems to start with - although my curve is large enough that surgery was recommended, (and turned down), it never gave me any real pain, nor affected my breathing enough to stop me leading a normal life.

Alexander technique did not reduce my "real" curve, but almost removed my compensatory curve, and slightly reduced the rotation. It also got rid of the mild aches I used to get in my lower back after carrying heavy shopping. I think it also slightly increased my lung capacity - hard to say, since I wasn't aware of any problems before, but I think I can manage longer phrases in singing now.

flowerpower
06-20-2005, 01:37 PM
nutmeg,

What exactly is the Alexander technique? I do some yoga that seems to help with mobility, flexibility and pain management.

FlowerPower

nutmeg
06-21-2005, 11:46 PM
Here are a few websites to give more information on Alexander technique:

www.stat.org.uk
www.alexandercenter.com
www.alexandertechnique.org.au

ericsdottir
01-24-2006, 08:40 PM
This is kinda kooky, but makes lots of sense:

I get in a pool with a floation collar and ankle weights. Traction! And it's VERY gentle too. I'm 50 years old, so it's not going to straighten me out, but it sure loosens things up I think.

I also use homeopathy for my near-constant pain. It's not going to straighten me out either, but it gives me a lot of relief. My homeopath has had to guide me to the correct remedies, as each is different for this/that kind of pain.

I've just been referred today to UCSF medical center for a fusion. I'm looking forward to having my homeopath help me recover from that.

Jacque's Mom
01-25-2006, 12:04 PM
I have been working with my Alex. Tech. teacher for over three years now. It has done wonders for my posture and nagging pain. It is NOT a cure all by no means and does NOT replace surgery, but does reduce my symptoms. That combined with my pain management doctor/meds is a great combination for me. I have less anxiety and feel much calmer. You must go faithfully in the beginning (I went once a week for six months) and then you can taper off to every other week, once a month. I presently go every four to six weeks now and it's over three years. Here are two websites as well. Elizabeth is my teacher......... www.alextechmetro.com and www.alexandertech.org (this one lists teachers in the US). It is not covered by your insurance but if any of you have the health FSA at your employment, you do get reimbursed if you have a note from your doctor stating it is "medically necessary". They immediately sent me my checks without a problem. Any questions, you can private message me. Have a good day. LYNN