Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sciatica/ Sacral Pain

Hi there,
    It's been a long time since I posted on here.. I am 24 years old. I had my surgery when I was 21 (which means.. I am 3 years post-op- WOW!), Man, how time flies. I am fused from T2 to my sacrum. Anyway. I have been having pain in my sacrum/sciatic nerve (so i'm told) ever since my surgery and it just seems to be getting worse. My surgeon said he can remove the tops of the screws and see if that helps but I really don't want to go back for another surgery. I had been getting cortizone injections into my sacral joints but those are VERY painful and seem to work less and less each time. Does anyone have any exercises or other alternatives to reduce the amount of Sacral/Sciatica pain they are expierencing?

Thanks for your help!

Crystal

We are fused the exact same amount. I don't know how you feel about chiropractic care but that's what I've used for leg pains, etc. Not the pushing/jerking type at all. I only allow him to use what he calls Impulser. I usually call it the Clicker Thing! It just allows the nerve to not be impinged and it helps me when I have leg/hip pain, etc. He wasn't sure if there would be any movement possible with it since I was fused, but can get just the tiniest amount to help. Also I see a microfascial massage therapist who I think is a magician or something. She can find the sore spots on me and then carefully slowly works those areas. I don't know if these will help you or not but it certainly has kept me going! Good luck--sciatica is a definite pain in the you-know-what and the legs. No fun. Janet
    Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
    Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
    Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
    Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
    T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

If your pain is generated by the sciatic nerve running along the sacrum, I can't imagine how removing the screw heads would help. On the other hand, removing the screw heads is a very small surgery with relatively little risk and a quick recovery.
      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

get a second opinion

I am just guessing here but if I go back to my surgeon and he is saying that it could be that removing the screws could help, then he is guessing.

If you have the option, I would consult a neurologyst that is specialized in the lower spine area for his opinion. You are too young to get rid of one problem and to live the best years of your life dealing with the sciatic pain. I have had it many times and I know it is major pain.

I would not go into a second surgery until your doctor can identify for sure the real cause. We should not subject our bodies to be experiments. It is the same to a smaller degree when you see a doctor and he/she tells you take this med and call me in two weeks if it does not work. He doesn't know for sure only what the pharmaceutical person told him that would cover xyz problems.

Where do you live? in what area?

I have done many years of chiropractors and they work. One of the things they recommended is to stretch your leg straight back to your shoulders and another exercise was using a hard piece of foam conical shape to roll and stop at certain points (hard to explain) but chiropractors usually have a room with equipment that folks can use with guidance, of course.

Hope you get better.
        Gardenia
        Baja California, Mexico & El Centro, Ca
        pre-surgery 75° and 89° - post ?
        Dr. Bridwell Nov 27, 2012 @Barnes Jewish @62yrs
        T11 to Sacrum Dural leak at L2 & L3 ccmail4g@gmail.com

Comment

Working...
        X