October 22 surgery date

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• October 22 surgery date

I am excited to finally have a surgery date. October 22 with Dr. Gaines in Columbia, MO. Asking for prayers for the hands of the doctors and to keep the calmness with in my family.

Tamena
    Diagnosed at age 12 with a double major curve

Braced till age 15

SSBOB T12-L2 Anterior age 34. (October 22,2012) Dr. Robert Gaines Jr. ( Columbia, MO)

Revision Surgery T2-Sacrum with Pelvic Fixation Prosterior age 35 (November 13,2013) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

Revision Surgery L4/L5 due to BMP Complication age 36 (November 20,2014) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, Mo)

Revision Surgery due to broken rod scheduled for October 19, 2016 with Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

Prayers said! Glad you have a family to support you!
    Discovered scoliosis when 15 years old.
    Wore Milwaulkee Brace for 1.5 years.
    Top curve 85 degrees, bottom curve 60 degrees

Surgery completed August 23, 2011 (during an earthquake, can you believe that?)
    Dr. Charles Edwards, II
    The Spine Center at Mercy Hospital in Baltimore, MD
    Before and after xrays:
    http://www.valley-designs.com/myspine

Comment

Hi Tamena,

Sending positive thoughts your way. I read your previous posts about how to prepare your family and hope that both you and your children feel calm and at peace. It's good to have a date set, isn't it? In just two months you'll be on the other side, on your way to a better life.
      I am stronger than scoliosis, and won't let it rule my life!
      45 years old - diagnosed at age 7
      A/P surgery on March 5/7, 2013 - UCSF

Comment

Originally posted by Irina View Post
        Hi Tamena,

Sending positive thoughts your way. I read your previous posts about how to prepare your family and hope that both you and your children feel calm and at peace. It's good to have a date set, isn't it? In just two months you'll be on the other side, on your way to a better life.
        Irina,

It does feel good to have a date, but now I think my nerves are kicking in a tad. I Can't wait to feel better, but my mind keeps playing the "what if" game. Thanks for the positive thoughts.

Tamena

Braced till age 15

SSBOB T12-L2 Anterior age 34. (October 22,2012) Dr. Robert Gaines Jr. ( Columbia, MO)

Revision Surgery T2-Sacrum with Pelvic Fixation Prosterior age 35 (November 13,2013) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

Revision Surgery L4/L5 due to BMP Complication age 36 (November 20,2014) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, Mo)

Revision Surgery due to broken rod scheduled for October 19, 2016 with Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

Comment

Tamena - Prayers are with you. The what-if's are completely normal. It is a big surgery, but many of us have had it and feel so much better on the other side. May you be encouraged by the posts on this forum. I had a tremendous amount of encouragement from posts on this site when I was anxiously awaiting my date.
          Glenda
          Age 66 Georgia (63 at time of surgery)
          Bi-lateral laminectomy 2006
          Kyphoscoliosis, approx 38* lumbar scoliosis, stenosis, disk herniations, lower back and hip pain, w/radiating pain, stinging and numbness in legs.
          A/P fusion (T10-S2) 5/17/10 and 5/20/10
          Dr Yoon, Emory Orthopaedic and Spine Hospital, Atlanta, GA
          Pleased with outcome

Comment

Originally posted by gmw View Post
            Tamena - Prayers are with you. The what-if's are completely normal. It is a big surgery, but many of us have had it and feel so much better on the other side. May you be encouraged by the posts on this forum. I had a tremendous amount of encouragement from posts on this site when I was anxiously awaiting my date.
            Glenda,

Thank you. I do find this site encouraging. It is amazing at how many people have gone through or are going through the same thing when for so long I felt like I was on a abandoned island.

Tamena

Braced till age 15

Comment

Originally posted by tae_tap View Post
              Irina,

It does feel good to have a date, but now I think my nerves are kicking in a tad. I Can't wait to feel better, but my mind keeps playing the "what if" game. Thanks for the positive thoughts.

Tamena
              Oh Dear,

I totally understand the "what ifs" and I would be the same. I don't have the date yet, just waiting for a follow-up appointment on October 31 and it is hard...

Would it help trying to plan something that you can do during your recovery that you didn't have time for before? For example, when I was a kid, I liked to draw and I was pretty good at it. Then I had family, job, etc and never had any time for drawing. I am going to purchase an adjustable easel that I can use while standing up, and go back to drawing while I am recovering. I would draw a fireplace, a bookcase, a vase with flowers, whatever - you've got the idea. I am also going to plan a gazillion of trips up to the smallest detail - read tour guides, search reviews about hotels and activities, eventhough travel would be out of question for a while - it makes me happy to plan this stuff and may be my friends would use my itineraries.

Try to think of something positive you can do during your recovery and hopefully it will take your mind away. Thinking about you...

Irina.
              I am stronger than scoliosis, and won't let it rule my life!
              45 years old - diagnosed at age 7
              A/P surgery on March 5/7, 2013 - UCSF

Comment

Tamena,
                I doubt that there are many on the forum who have not had the "what ifs" thoughts prior to surgery. The waiting period was by far the most difficult for me and, fortunately, I had people who had already experienced the presurgery stress and post surgery recuperation tell me that the presurgery was the most difficult. I wasn't in much pain, so I really had doubts about my decision to have surgery, but decided to do what was best for my future. I signed up for Netflix and watched a lot of movies that I'd never had time for until I had some "down" time during recovery.
                Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
                Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
                70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
                Rib Hump-GONE!
                Age-60 at the time of surgery
                Now 66
                Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
                Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
                Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
                tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
                http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Working...
                X