One Year Anniversary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One Year Anniversary

Well, today is my one year anniversary. I just wanted to relay my thanks to everyone on this forum who gave advice and offered encouragement going through this year.

It's certainly been an adventure this year, but I agree life got better as time passed.

It's nice to be taller (although I am still short) and actually have a waist! Getting more agile as time goes on.

Thank you everyone!
    Discovered scoliosis when 15 years old.
    Wore Milwaulkee Brace for 1.5 years.
    Top curve 85 degrees, bottom curve 60 degrees

Surgery completed August 23, 2011 (during an earthquake, can you believe that?)
    Dr. Charles Edwards, II
    The Spine Center at Mercy Hospital in Baltimore, MD
    Before and after xrays:
    http://www.valley-designs.com/myspine

Congratulations Dollie! Thank you for being a source of support to others as well!
    Pam, age 49
    Thoracolumbar curves 80 and 40 corrected to 20 degrees
    April 20, 2012 surgery with Dr. Lenke
    T-3 to sacrum

Comment

Congratulations on your one year anniversary. I hope you'll do something special to celebrate this milestone!
      Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
      Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
      T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
      Osteotomies and Laminectomies
      Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Congratulations on your one year anniversary! I can tell you that I feel even better as I'm approaching my 2 year anniversary on January 5, 2013. I am so appreciative of this forum (and my surgeon).
        Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
        Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
        70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
        Rib Hump-GONE!
        Age-60 at the time of surgery
        Now 66
        Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
        Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
        Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
        Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
        tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
        http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Congratulations! You will probably continue to feel better and a bit more flexible as time goes on. That's a great milestone for you. Janet
          Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
          Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
          Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
          Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
          T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Thanks everyone for even more encouragement to see what happens next year. I still have hopes of getting back on a jet ski: albeit the newer model that has a shock absorbing seat--and being mindful not to go where there is a lot of wild waves.

Have my one year anniversary visit with the surgeon on October 5th: right between two long business trips.

The year has been full of some great milestones: Getting out of the hospital (and the required being able to get out of bed, do stairs and get out of a chair on your own), getting to the end of my driveway (with my walker, going for a walk down my street (with a cane), going for a walk without a cane) ;-), driving the car to work (45 miles): did that one at 4.5 month marker. Other weird milestones: emptying the top rack of the dishwasher (and now the lower rack!), navigating the DC Metro for a business trip (I used a cane the first time mainly to keep people from bumping me), numerous business trips across the country.

One thing I want to say about the business trips: I am always astounded and grateful how helpful people are to help you. Sometimes they notice you need help on your own, sometimes you have to ask...but they always are willing.

This forum is full of great people. I hope I can continue to help others with encouraging words and best practices I found while on the road to healing.

Thank you!
            Discovered scoliosis when 15 years old.
            Wore Milwaulkee Brace for 1.5 years.
            Top curve 85 degrees, bottom curve 60 degrees

Surgery completed August 23, 2011 (during an earthquake, can you believe that?)
            Dr. Charles Edwards, II
            The Spine Center at Mercy Hospital in Baltimore, MD
            Before and after xrays:
            http://www.valley-designs.com/myspine

Comment

Working...
            X