Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long might the numbness last?

Hi all; me again.

Tomorrow will be 7 months since my surgery (T9 to sacrum with pelvic fixation). I'm still quite numb in my feet, lower back/butt, and a few other spots here and there. I'm wondering if it's still possible for some feeling to ever return to those areas. Has anybody else had feeling return after more than 7 months?

-- Thanks,
    Mary
    -- Mary D. Taffet
    Lumbar curve 27 degrees in 07/2007 > 34 degrees in 03/2009 > 38 degrees in 02/2011 > 42 degrees in 09/2011
    Laminectomy L2-L5, Fusion T9-S1 (sacrum) with pelvic fixation 01/23/2012 w/ Dr. Richard Tallarico, Upstate Orthopedics, Syracuse, NY

Hi Mary...

It can be anywhere from minutes to forever. I was successful in dealing with the numbness I had after the first surgery, and eventually got almost full feeling back. I have been totally unsuccessful in getting feeling to come back to my tummy after my surgery early last year. The technique that helped me the first time was to use objects of different texture (think a boar bristle brush, a wash cloth, a feather, etc), and rub it across the area of numbness while thinking about what it should feel like. The thought is that you rebuild the nerve connection from the brain side of the injury.

Hope you get some relief.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Originally posted by LindaRacine View Post
      Hi Mary...

The technique that helped me the first time was to use objects of different texture (think a boar bristle brush, a wash cloth, a feather, etc), and rub it across the area of numbness while thinking about what it should feel like. The thought is that you rebuild the nerve connection from the brain side of the injury.
      I could try that with my lower back/butt, but I still can't reach any of the other numb spots, which are mostly below my knee. My toes are in general the numbest places, but I notice it most when I'm barefoot, which isn't often -- just a couple of hours a week on Saturday and Sunday nights. Otherwise I'm wearing socks or socks and shoes on my feet all day long. I could try using my grabber to see if that would help in regard to my feet, but I would probably not be able to fully "rub" any items across my feet using the grabber.

-- Thanks,
      Mary
      -- Mary D. Taffet
      Lumbar curve 27 degrees in 07/2007 > 34 degrees in 03/2009 > 38 degrees in 02/2011 > 42 degrees in 09/2011
      Laminectomy L2-L5, Fusion T9-S1 (sacrum) with pelvic fixation 01/23/2012 w/ Dr. Richard Tallarico, Upstate Orthopedics, Syracuse, NY

Comment

Mary, do you mean partial numbness in feet....????
        i have had several foot surgeries...anytime my feet were numb, i could NOT walk
        at all...when i could not feel my toes or feet, it was impossible to walk...

hope you get feeling back everywhere that is numb very soon....

jess...& Sparky

Comment

Working...
        X