PDA

View Full Version : Kats surgery

Kat3573
08-02-2012, 05:10 PM
Heyy guys well im in the hospital in admitted rite now a surgery is tomorrow soooo excited

Pooka1
08-02-2012, 05:14 PM
Hi Kat,

You will do great. Your attitude will carry you.

With just the thoracic curve that you will get fixed now, this hopefully will be one-stop shopping for surgery for you. See what your surgeon says.

Good luck!!!!

Sharon

susancook
08-02-2012, 06:31 PM
Can I have some of your awesome attitude? You will do well.
Ask questions about anything that you are not sure about.
Tell someone when you need pain medications.
Hugs
Susan

JenniferG
08-02-2012, 07:32 PM
Best wishes for a great correction and smooth recovery Kat. I'm sure you're going to do just fine!

mabeckoff
08-02-2012, 08:56 PM
You are going to do great,

Kat3573
08-03-2012, 03:44 AM
Three hours before surgery!!!! Soooo excited and super nervous that I can't stop shaking

JenniferG
08-03-2012, 05:22 PM
Nearly there! Soon you'll be waking up with a new back!

rohrer01
08-03-2012, 05:56 PM
Hi, Kat.
You've already had your surgery by now. Sorry I haven't checked in sooner. I'm thinking about you and hoping that your pain is under control. We'll be anxious to hear from you when you are feeling better. ((((gentle hugs))))

mabeckoff
08-03-2012, 09:17 PM
Hope all went well

LSKOCH5
08-04-2012, 09:48 AM
Hey Kat - thinking of you, know you're in rough pain right now but do what you're supposed to do - walk, move, hydrate & nourish that body as it heals & you'll notice that every few days is so much better than those before. Each week will get easier. Keep up that great attitude, and know we're all rooting for you! Go Kat!

susancook
08-06-2012, 02:47 AM
Hope that you are doing well! I know that you are pretty overwhelmed with the whole thing, but with your attitude, you'll succeed. Can't wait to hear from you!!! SENDING WARM THOUGHTS YOUR WAY!
Susan

Kat3573
08-14-2012, 12:04 AM
Hi guys!!!
I am 1 week and 3 days post op I'll tell u my story

Admission day-
Did bloOd work
Gave urine samPle
Xrays
And I have to shower in this special shampoo

Surgery day-
I showered again in that shampoo to sterilize my body then they put wires on mr to meassure my nervous system. After that they gave my "happy juice" to calm me down( u guys who swear a lot should stop swearing before surgery because I rarely swear and I told my uncle to stop lying otherwise he will go to hell and I told him it's really hot over there lol XD) I don't remember anything after the happy juice

I woke up with some pain and I was like oh I need to go for my surgery and then after that my moms like its done and I was like it is?!!?

Then I said look mommy I can move my toes!!! Then I was begging my nurses to let me walk cuz Ifelt so stiff.... They didn't let me D:

At the worst moment my pain was 7.5-8.5( I mean there r a ton of other things more painful than this surgery keep that in mind) it's feels very sore and achey and stiff
I still have pain and that's really annoying it tends to stay around 3-6 (keep in mind u have a high pain tolerance)

I'm fused from t4-l1 with a 60* curve

I got my first period in the hospital (yip de do) awesome place to get the first on huh hehe
My mom thinks the catheter is the readin for the blood but I'm pretty sure ts my period although it was VERY light

If u have any quetions I'll be happy to answer but I have questions for YOU

How long will the pain last

One side of my rubs are A LOT smaller than the other side but will it still grow

Will my periods be regular?

susancook
08-14-2012, 03:22 AM
Hi guys!!!
I am 1 week and 3 days post op I'll tell u my story

Admission day-
Did bloOd work
Gave urine samPle
Xrays
And I have to shower in this special shampoo

Surgery day-
I showered again in that shampoo to sterilize my body then they put wires on mr to meassure my nervous system. After that they gave my "happy juice" to calm me down( u guys who swear a lot should stop swearing before surgery because I rarely swear and I told my uncle to stop lying otherwise he will go to hell and I told him it's really hot over there lol XD) I don't remember anything after the happy juice

I woke up with some pain and I was like oh I need to go for my surgery and then after that my moms like its done and I was like it is?!!?

Then I said look mommy I can move my toes!!! Then I was begging my nurses to let me walk cuz Ifelt so stiff.... They didn't let me D:

At the worst moment my pain was 7.5-8.5( I mean there r a ton of other things more painful than this surgery keep that in mind) it's feels very sore and achey and stiff
I still have pain and that's really annoying it tends to stay around 3-6 (keep in mind u have a high pain tolerance)

I'm fused from t4-l1 with a 60* curve

I got my first period in the hospital (yip de do) awesome place to get the first on huh hehe
My mom thinks the catheter is the readin for the blood but I'm pretty sure ts my period although it was VERY light

If u have any quetions I'll be happy to answer but I have questions for YOU

How long will the pain last

One side of my rubs are A LOT smaller than the other side but will it still grow

Will my periods be regular?

Kat: You are totally awesome and I love your spirit!!!!! Re: periods....they are frequently light and sometimes irregular for the first year or so. Bummer that your started when you had your surgery, but surgery is a stressor...that's another reason that your period was light.

I will let people that had surgery respond to the pain question....but yes, it does get better, but you need to have patience. Everything needs to settle some and your body needs to get used to it's new shape.

Congratulations on doing so well, and thanks for posting.

Where is your hospital?

HUGS, Susan

leahdragonfly
08-14-2012, 08:44 AM
Good news Kat, and I'm so glad to hear you're home and doing well! Keep up the good work, and remember that frequent, short walks are your friend. It seems strange at first when you hurt, but walking regularly does help.

Take care, thanks for letting us know how you are.

Pooka1
08-14-2012, 09:23 AM
Kat! So glad you are on the other side!

You are doing everything right. I agree with walking as much as you can when you are home. That will help you turn the corner faster than anything.

Good work. :-)

Sharon

Kat3573
08-14-2012, 10:38 AM
I went to a children's hospital but I won't say which one cuz I dont want to give away my location

mabeckoff
08-14-2012, 07:40 PM
I went to a children's hospital but I won't say which one cuz I dont want to give away my location

Why can't you tell us which hospital you are in?

Pooka1
08-14-2012, 08:12 PM

Kids should never give away their location. Kat is being smart.

Pooka1
08-14-2012, 08:13 PM

Please never ask kids personal questions on a public forum. By the way, it doesn't matter which hospital it is.

mabeckoff
08-14-2012, 09:29 PM
Sorry I did not realize that children should not give out their hospital location.

susancook
08-17-2012, 03:27 AM

No problem...I just thought about sending you some flowers and a card because I think that you have such a great attitude.
So, just my best thoughts for a speedy recovery and fast healing so that you can get back to doing all of those cool things that your friends are doing.
My best
Susan

rohrer01
08-20-2012, 04:31 PM
Kat,
It's great to hear that you are doing well. I think you are well above your years to say that there are more painful things than your surgery. I don't know if that is true or not. I rate pain by my unsedated c-section. That was a 10! Your surgery will hopefully be the most pain you will ever have. I hope you are able to keep it under control. I would ask for pain meds if you think it was around a 3 or 4. A 3 or 4 is tolerable, but pain is better controlled when you get at it BEFORE it gets out of hand. Once it is above a 5 it can be very difficult to get back down. It's okay to take the pain meds for now.

I know a young lady that had surgery at 16. She said it took a good six months to feel better. Don't let that be a discouragement to you. Everyone is different AND had you waited until you were middle aged it could have taken as long as two YEARS. So keep up doing what you are supposed to do. You seem feisty enough that you will probably heal faster anyway.

Gentle hugs to you!

Oh, how much did you "grow"? I'll bet it feels pretty strange to be suddenly tall! =)

Kat3573
08-21-2012, 05:15 AM
Aww that is so sweet Susan but I'm not in the hospital anymore and I'm not planning to give my house address to anyone especially over the Internet but don't be offended I'm just trying to prevent a preventable scenario

To me a ten is being amputated without anesthesia and I'm pretty sure my pain is nothing compared to it

Now a days my pain stay around 1-4 and it's only been two weeks! I feel much better already that's for sure!I don't even take my pain meds anymore! Only and hour before a car ride somewhere just incase
Gentle hugs back

I've never met such a nice group of people over the Internet

You guys are amazing!!

Love you all
Kat

Kat3573
08-21-2012, 05:20 AM
Oh I gained 2.5 inches
My curve in the end was 60*

JenniferG
08-21-2012, 05:19 PM
Wonderful!

You must be thrilled Kat. You're doing great.

rohrer01
08-24-2012, 04:19 PM
Oh I gained 2.5 inches
My curve in the end was 60*

Wow! Your curve progressed very rapidly. You must have gone through a growth spurt. How small is your curve now? Just curious. Two and a half inches is a LOT! I'm glad to hear that your pain is so minimal and only two weeks out. You are a super trooper!

Kat3573
08-24-2012, 04:51 PM
Wow! Your curve progressed very rapidly. You must have gone through a growth spurt. How small is your curve now? Just curious. Two and a half inches is a LOT! I'm glad to hear that your pain is so minimal and only two weeks out. You are a super trooper!

It's like 5* now

susancook
08-26-2012, 01:24 AM
Aww that is so sweet Susan but I'm not in the hospital anymore and I'm not planning to give my house address to anyone especially over the Internet but don't be offended I'm just trying to prevent a preventable scenario

To me a ten is being amputated without anesthesia and I'm pretty sure my pain is nothing compared to it

Now a days my pain stay around 1-4 and it's only been two weeks! I feel much better already that's for sure!I don't even take my pain meds anymore! Only and hour before a car ride somewhere just incase
Gentle hugs back

I've never met such a nice group of people over the Internet

You guys are amazing!!

Love you all
Kat

I love your attitude and wish you the best!
Susan