Leg discrepancy after surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leg discrepancy after surgery

Around 6mths after my surgery I noticed my torso leaned over slightly but my surgeon didn't seem concerned. I had a CT scan which revealed-his words 'a very slight leg discrepancy' not significant enough to do anything about. As time went by (I'm now 20 mths post op) I noticed that it was uncomfortable to stand with both legs straight-I would drop my one leg to feel 'even' I also get some low back pain.

I saw a physio 3wks ago and straight away she noticed that my hips were uneven-she said I have a significant leg discrepancy and it would be causing me a lot of discomfort. Shes made a makeshift heel raise for me to try and I immediately felt more even and able to stand with both legs straight, it also feels better when I'm walking. She wants me to get used to it and she reckons it needs raising slightly more.

My surgeon isn't very interested in this and just said to do whatever I feel comfortable with but I'm afraid to have it raised more I case it's too much. Did anyone here develop a leg discrepancy after surgery?
    Fused T2-L4 with costoplasty on 3/11/10

Yes, leg discrepancy or one hip higher than the other, not sure which. My surgeon wasn't concerned about it either and I asked about a heel lift and he said No. 3 years out, I still feel I should have one. My gait is bumpy and I feel it would be smoother if I had a heel lift. If I stand with both feet together flat on the ground looking in the mirror I'm definitely down on one side (left, I had a left curve) but when I raise one heel, my shoulders even up and I feel more comfortable. I'm thinking I should get a heel lift regardless. I walk a lot and am hoping the bumpy gait isn't doing some harm somewhere.
    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

I would definately try the heel raise, in my case I'm sure it's the right thing to do because I feel much more balanced in my hips with it. People I have shown can see I have one hip higher.
      My physio wanted me to wear it 24/7 but I can't live in trainers especially during the hot spell we had.
      I have worn it when walking the dog and around shopping centres. Ive also managed to cram it into a light pump to wear when cooking-I can stand much easier with it. I'm uncertain about whether to raise it more though-my physio wants me to bring a boot for next time because it will pop out of a shoe but...boots in August! I don't think so!

I've looked on line and you can buy an adjustable shoe raise, something to look into maybe.

Comment

Would that be possible to add some thikness to the bottom of the hill on the outside of a shoe? Not a removable shoe lift, but something permanently attached to the bottom of a shoe. It would be visible, but then you can wear sandals in summer.

My father has hip issue and leg discrepancy so he always takes his shoes to a shoe repair store and they build up his hill on the outside. He also wears an insert in addition to that because his discrepancy is big.
        I am stronger than scoliosis, and won't let it rule my life!
        45 years old - diagnosed at age 7
        A/P surgery on March 5/7, 2013 - UCSF

Comment

Me too have a same issue.When my surgery was done in feb 2012.They have done correction in my leg.But as i started walk the same thing happens to me,leg discrepancy occur.But i don't use to wear soul shoe but i think I should also wear it must.I have swear pain in lower back and i think this pain is also because of this issue.
          I don't know that why these problems and issues occur after a successful surgery.
          I am more stronger than scoliosis. And I will not allow it to control my life.

Comment

leg length discrepancy

Hi Everyone,
            My left leg has always been about 1/2-3/4" longer than my right and I wore a small lift preOp in my right shoe when I exercised or walked for long periods. This longer left leg (and my curve) definitely caused me to lean to the right. After surgery, I was still leaning right when I stood, although when I sit I do not. My doc said that wearing a lift was pretty much up to me, that doing so (or not) would not affect the fusion either way. So I chose to put lifts back in my shoe on the right (bought a bunch on amazon, the kind that you can peel off the diffferent layers to make a certain height). I feel much more comfortable when I have one in, although don't have them in many pairs of shoes for summer use! Of course I would always recommend checking with your surgeon/PT before just adding one to your shoe.

Comment

Ive seen some adjustable raises on line which look pretty good.

I'm wondering though is it okay to sometimes wear it and sometimes not?
              I always use it if I'm walking the dog-I feel so much better being able to stand on two flat feet when the dogs sniffing around!

I'm still getting some low backache though so i will see if that changes when my physio raises it up more-she plans to do this next week.

Comment

Just a word of caution to everyone. I haven't had surgery but do have a small leg length discrepancy. I actually "feel" like my left leg is shorter when I walk, so I put a shoe lift in my shoe. But when my doctor measured my legs, it is actually my right leg that is shorter!

I also wore a shoe lift as a teenager. I don't remember which leg it was for. I was able to get my shoes permanently altered by a shoe repairman. They glued the appropriate size lift to the bottom of my shoe. Unfortunately, my mom could only afford to have one pair altered. So I either had to wear my "special" tennis shoes or go without the lift. When the shoes wore out I never got a replacement. So YES you can get permanent lifts.
                Be happy!
                We don't know what tomorrow brings,
                but we are alive today!

Comment

I've just ordered a couple of different styles of heel lifts, to try....
                  Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                  Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                  T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                  Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                  Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Working...
                  X