What to bring for scoliosis surgery?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to bring for scoliosis surgery?

I know I already ask this question before but now I want to start a thread so I cab get more answers

Im have scoliosis surgery in a week and so far this is wat I'm bringing

Fuzzy blanket
    Chap stick
    Robe
    Pjs
    Disposable toothbrushes with toothpaste on it
    Slippers
    Nite mask
    Panties
    Hair ties and clips

That's about it am I missing anything

Girl questions!!
    Also this is an awkward question should I bring a bra? Like will I be able to put one on?
    I haven't started my periods yet but is it likely that the anestisea start my firsr period (I think I'm pretty close)

Any addition info is appreciated!!

You guys are like my second family you have all the qualities a family should have you guys are
    Caring
    Sweet
    Loving
    Supportive
    Etc

Y have no idea how much support u guys gave me
    Ur like my scaffolding

Thx again

Kat

Is this ok

My mom has this special pjs made out of silk and I was thinking to use them in the hospital because it's very smooth and lose but my concern is will I be even more cold in the hospital what do u guys think?

Comment

Hey Kat,

You can bring all that stuff but may not use much of it.

For my girls, they were hot and wanted the room temp set so cold that I had to wear a light jacket when I was in the room. Maybe you will be different.

You'll do great. :-)

Sharon
      Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
      Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

I find hospitals to be very drying. I need chapstick and lots of moisturizers, face and body
        Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

Can any one answer the girl questions

Comment

Hi Kat,

You will not want to wear a bra, as the strap will cross right over your incision and be uncomfortable.

Also, don't worry about your period. If it starts, the nurses (or your mom) will be able to help you, and you will not care at all. They have supplies available if you do.

Don't forget socks. I also used my iPod and heaphones a couple of times while I was in the hospital and found it relaxing.

Best of luck, you are going to do great!
            Last edited by leahdragonfly; 07-27-2012, 05:19 PM.
            Gayle, age 50
            Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
            Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
            Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
            2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
            2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

Comment

Originally posted by leahdragonfly View Post
              Hi Kat,

You will not want to wear a bra, as the strap will cross right over your incision and be uncomfortable.

Also, don't worry about your period. If it starts, the nurses (or your mom) will be able to help you, and you will not care at all. They have supplies available if you do.

Don't forget socks. I also used my iPod and heaphones a couple of times while I was in the hospital and found it relaxing.

Best of luck, you are going to do great!
              Well the answer for the bra question was sorta obvious how did I not realize that before

But is it likely to start my first period or not?

Comment

Hi Kat,

I don't think it's super likely since you haven't had your period yet. Try not to worry about that too much.
                Gayle, age 50
                Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
                Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
                Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
                2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
                2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

Comment

Button down jammies & shirts for when you get home - and elastic waist bottoms as well - you're not going to want to mess w zippers for a while. Fav stuffed animal & music too. As the others said, your nurses & mom can take care of your female issue if it happens. Surgery seems to bring it on, guess it's the trauma in the body, at least for me. When are you scheduled for surgery?
                  Mom of 14yo son diagnosed Oct 2011
                  Surgery 1/3/12 w Dr. Geof Cronen,
                  Tampa General Hospital T3 to L1
                  Jacob's pre surg curves: T58 & L31 12/28/11
                  photos & xrays in "First-Time Surgery" thread "Before & After"

Comment

Originally posted by LSKOCH5 View Post
                    Button down jammies & shirts for when you get home - and elastic waist bottoms as well - you're not going to want to mess w zippers for a while. Fav stuffed animal & music too. As the others said, your nurses & mom can take care of your female issue if it happens. Surgery seems to bring it on, guess it's the trauma in the body, at least for me. When are you scheduled for surgery?
                    August 3 which is this Friday

Thanks for all ur help!!

Comment

Good luck Kat, have your mom get on the board for advice or help from any of us patients or parents of patients, if she'd like. Wishing you a very effective surgery & smooth, fast recovery. I've been talking/texting a LOT -since before, then during & now after- w a mom whose 16yo son just had surgery on 7/13; we all help each other through! Also, just remember through it all - it gets better fast; each week will be so much better than the week before, and you'll be doing great before you know it. Just keep walking once you get the go ahead. Movement is key to your pain relief & to your healing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Jacob still maintains that walking (or at least pacing) is the fastest way to relieve the pain.

ps - does your mom have a stepstool or plastic chair for you to sit on in the shower? You'll need help in the shower for a while. AND don't skimp on eating - you need to have food every time you take pain meds - unless your dr tells you differently - as they can really cause nausea. Jacob & the boy I just mentioned both had really bad nausea, but PB crackers & anti-nausea meds really helped. And drink lots of water, juice, etc as they'll also make you constipated. Good luck kiddo!
                      Last edited by LSKOCH5; 07-31-2012, 11:30 AM.
                      Mom of 14yo son diagnosed Oct 2011
                      Surgery 1/3/12 w Dr. Geof Cronen,
                      Tampa General Hospital T3 to L1
                      Jacob's pre surg curves: T58 & L31 12/28/11
                      photos & xrays in "First-Time Surgery" thread "Before & After"

Comment

Working...
                      X