How to prepare my family

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to prepare my family

Hi! I am the 34 year old wife and mother of four children ranging in age for 4-14. I was diagnoised at the age of 12, wore a brace for two years and opted not to have surgery. As I have gotten older my pain is worse. I have a double curvature with the top being 49 degrees and the bottom 69 degrees. I am hoping to set up surgery before the end of the year. My question is how do I really prepare my children for what to expect post op? The older kids have already taken on many of the chores to help me not over do it and my husband is a huge help. But I did not know if there was any special way to prepare them for the tough part of recovery.

Tamena
    Diagnosed at age 12 with a double major curve

Braced till age 15

SSBOB T12-L2 Anterior age 34. (October 22,2012) Dr. Robert Gaines Jr. ( Columbia, MO)

Revision Surgery T2-Sacrum with Pelvic Fixation Prosterior age 35 (November 13,2013) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

Revision Surgery L4/L5 due to BMP Complication age 36 (November 20,2014) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, Mo)

Revision Surgery due to broken rod scheduled for October 19, 2016 with Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

Hi and welcome!

Hi, I am 37 and a mother of 3. I am having surgery in Oct. My childrern are 14, 10 and almost 4. My 4 year old doesn't know yet but he does know Mommy has a bad back, Mommy's back hurts. I think it is way too soon to tell him. My older children know and are part of my recovery plan. My youngest doesn't have a concept of time yet so I am going to wait until my pre op appointment to really start talking to him about it. While I am in the hospital my husband will talk to him about being gentle, and mommy had surgery to fix her back and will prep him for my return and what to expect. I bought each of my children small gifts to open each day that I will be gone. We have hired someone that will stay with us for 12 weeks after my surgery in addition to hiring someone to clean the house and do laundry. We are not fortunate enough to have family close by. My older children are going to walk Jack to class and snuggle with the him while I am gone. My husband is only staying with me while I am in surgery and will be with the children the rest of my hospital stay. It is more important to me that he be with our kids. Our youngest has never not had one of us with him. I have only been apart from him for one night. I think children get their vibes from us SO as long as we are good they will be good.
    Our stories seem similar!
    Best,
    Heidi
    Scheduled for surgery with Dr. Lenke Oct. 2012
    53*T 71*L
    Surgery 10/05/2012 T4-pelvis
    Correction: looks perfect! Will find out how perfect at future appointments

Comment

Heidi,
      Our stories do sound very similar. I almost went to Dr. Lenke for a consult, but God put Dr. Gaines in Columbia in my path and it seems like things are falling into place very well. We have quite a bit of family around us, so the support team seems strong. My only concern is that we are a very active family in sports, outside, and with our cattle that I hope the kids don't begin to get sad if I am not at an event. I have never missed anything that they do, so that will be an adjustment. Good luck with your surgery, I will be awaiting your recovery results.
      Tamena
      Diagnosed at age 12 with a double major curve

Braced till age 15

SSBOB T12-L2 Anterior age 34. (October 22,2012) Dr. Robert Gaines Jr. ( Columbia, MO)

Revision Surgery T2-Sacrum with Pelvic Fixation Prosterior age 35 (November 13,2013) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

Revision Surgery L4/L5 due to BMP Complication age 36 (November 20,2014) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, Mo)

Revision Surgery due to broken rod scheduled for October 19, 2016 with Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

Comment

same here. My oldest will be right in the middle of field hockey when I have my surgery...I am hoping to catch a few games before the surgery
        Best,
        Heidi
        53*T 71*L

Comment

October 16th with Dr Bridwell

Heidi,
          When will you have your sugery? Maybe, we will touch bases in the hallways.

Gardenia
          Gardenia
          Baja California, Mexico & El Centro, Ca
          pre-surgery 75° and 89° - post ?
          Dr. Bridwell Nov 27, 2012 @Barnes Jewish @62yrs
          T11 to Sacrum Dural leak at L2 & L3 ccmail4g@gmail.com

Comment

Gardenia,
            I will arrive in St. Louis on the 10th of Oct. get my central line in on the 11th and surgery is on the 12th. If everything goes smoothly, I will fly back home on the 23rd. We may meet in the halls at some point but I am assuming I will not be in a socializing mood... but who knows? It is so nice to hear updates from everyone that the pain is not as bad as one fears!!!! I sure hope that is the case.
            Best,
            Heidi
            53*T 71*L

Comment

Working...
            X