View Full Version : Plum Excited!

Country Bunkin
07-23-2012, 01:29 PM
Hello Everyone! I am new to this board but have read several post through out. I know this may sound a little weird but I have finally scheduled me an appointment with a scoliosis specialist that I found off this board. His name is Dr. Brandon Kambach out of Jacksonville, FL.

To give you a little insight on myself. I am 33 years old, married to the most amazing man and I have a wonderful 9 yr. old step-daughter (though I don't never say that) and a beautiful 2 yr. old. I have known since I was 11 or 12 that I had scoliosis. Wore a brace (which I hated) for two years. Since that time, I have had to go to a regular doctor on and off until now for pain. Usually it consisted of muscle spams with inflammatory. For the past year I have been going to a spine clinic for them to only tell me that they can't do much for me as they don't usually treat scoliosis patients. =(

Has anyone else been this doctor? If so, did you like him? Did you get good results? Please give advise if you have.

One excited Country Bunkin =)

loves to skate
07-25-2012, 11:17 AM
Country bumpkin,
I don't know your Doctor, but I would like to welcome you to this board. Make sure the Doctor does many scoliosis surgeries a year and has tons of experience on adults.


Country Bunkin
07-25-2012, 01:48 PM
Thank you for the welcome!

I will make sure but as of right now (unless necessary), surgery is out of the question. I have never been to a scoliosis specialist since I first found out I had it when I was 11/12 yrs. old. I am going because of the pain, but I also want to find out more about me. I have never been told what degree or rotation I am, if it is getting worse or is it stable, etc. I want to have a better understanding.

Also, I have a 2 yr. old that I constantly keep a look at her back. I do not want her to go through what I have. I also know that I can not stop her from getting it but I feel if she is going to have it, then I will try my hardest to catch it as early as I can.

07-25-2012, 02:10 PM
Thank you for the welcome!

I will make sure but as of right now (unless necessary), surgery is out of the question.

Hi. Even if you don't need surgery, orthopedic surgeons are the only game in town for treating scoliosis. There is simply nobody else out there with relevant training. If you don't need surgery, they can prescribe PT for pain in some cases. Or they can refer you to a pain management doctor. But the first step with scoliosis is to get an accurate read of your situation from an orthopedic surgeon trained in spine/scoliosis. They can tell you how big your curve is and if it is progressive if you return over time. They can diagnose ancillary problems.

If you can find them, it would be very helpful to get any radiographs from when you were treated as an adolescent. They can tell if you you progressed and how fast if you can get those.

Good luck.

07-25-2012, 02:55 PM
Welcome to the forum!

I must say that it's a good idea to go to a scoliosis specialist. I don't understand how they could have braced you as a child without you seeing one!??? Anyway, what Pooka1 said are all the right reasons to go.

However, don't be disappointed if he doesn't treat your pain. I've been to many, many scoli docs. It's my experience that VERY few give attention to pain. They are more worried about the mechanics of what is going on. Once you know, then I would suggest going to a pain management doctor or physical medicine docs. The physical medicine docs work with your musculature and know how to find and break up the muscle spasms. They will often refer you to physical therapy. If that doesn't help, the pain docs come in with the drugs and other procedures to block the pain.

I wish you all the best. Please keep us informed on what you find out.


07-25-2012, 05:41 PM
I would like to say welcome to the forum

Country Bunkin
07-26-2012, 01:14 PM
rohrer01....Maybe I didn't type out the way my brain was thinking (which happens:D). For the life of me, I can not remember who my doctor was when I first found out I had it. However, if I am not mistaken, he was an ortho. That's about all I know.

I do remember going to Augusta, GA to have a body cast done to make my brace. I swear I hated that thing with a passion! I just haven't been to a scoliosis specialist since I was at least 15 or so. Just regular docs to help with the pain when it would flare up. Since having my baby in 2010, I have been getting worse. My baby was more important the first year as she was a premmie and it was all about her. Now that she is 2, she has "caught" up to where she needs to be. I know that I need to take care of myself before I get worse so that I can take care of her.

Thanks for giving me some insight. The more information I can get before I go to the doctor, the more prepared I can be with questions and concerns.