Anterior/Posterior Incisions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anterior/Posterior Incisions

For people who had an anterior-posterior surgery – where is your anterior scar – side or stomach? Do doctors give you a choice of where to have an anterior incision? Is one better than the other? I would think that side incision is better than stomach, but want to hear from others.
    I am stronger than scoliosis, and won't let it rule my life!
    45 years old - diagnosed at age 7
    A/P surgery on March 5/7, 2013 - UCSF

Originally posted by Irina View Post
    For people who had an anterior-posterior surgery – where is your anterior scar – side or stomach? Do doctors give you a choice of where to have an anterior incision? Is one better than the other? I would think that side incision is better than stomach, but want to hear from others.
    I have a stomach incision, the choice was up to my surgeon , not me.
    Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

Mine is on the side...actually I was surprised that I had both incisions when I awoke! Total surgeon call. I do have pain and cannot sleep on my left side for more than a few minutes at a time...I do not like to be touched at all on my side. I can't compare it to stomach as I don't know what that feeling is like. Best of luck to you!

Always Smilin'
      Colleen

1982 fused T2-L1
      pre op 45 - post op 33 (left thoracic)
      pre op 53 - post op 18 (right thoracic)

recheck 2006
      right thoracic 57
      lower lumbar 34

surgical revision April 28,2009
      revision T3-L1; new fusion L1-L4
      unsure of degrees at this point

Comment

Irina...

The incision is a function of the type of anterior procedure you're having. At UCSF, ALIF incisions are placed vertically, usually on the left side of the abdomen. The length of the incision is a function of the number and level of fusion. TLIF incisions are small and on the side. TLIFs and PLIFs are done from the back incision.

Regards,
        Linda
        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
        Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

I have one on the left lower part of my stomach. one on the side and two on the back. I think they go thru the side when they don't have to fuse the sacrum. They only went thru my front because he had to put a cage at the bottom of the fusion. So I am assuming that is the case. But the scars are not big. They are only about 4 inches long. THe posterior one is about 12 inches. Hope that helps

Comment

Originally posted by LindaRacine View Post
            Irina...

The incision is a function of the type of anterior procedure you're having. At UCSF, ALIF incisions are placed vertically, usually on the left side of the abdomen. The length of the incision is a function of the number and level of fusion. TLIF incisions are small and on the side. TLIFs and PLIFs are done from the back incision.

Regards,
            Linda
            Hi Linda,

What is ALIF, TLIF and PLIF?

Comment

Anterior Lumbar Interbody Fusion
              Transforaminal Lumbar Interbody Fusion
              Posterior Lumbar Interbody Fusion

In other words, there's lots of ways to get to the front of the lumbar spine.
              Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
              ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
              Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

How do these scars look after it's all healed? Of course, any scar is better than a crooked back, but just curious.

Comment

Hi Irina

I had an ALIF from L1-S1 anterior, then a PLIF from T2-Pelvis posterior. My front scar is a vertical scar in the center from my sternum down...they made a turn around the belly button. There are quite a host of entry points for particular surgeries, and for different reasons. I have read about the ALIF scars running off center vertically like Linda mentioned and of course find it of interest...I have bought surgical books to answer my own surgical questions.

My scars are fading away and are hardly noticeable. Scars really do blend in after the years go by.

http://www.coloradospineinstitute.co...plif-alif-tlif

I had major degeneration with my discs, (DDD) degenerative disc disease, and what can happen is after years, the vertebrae can end up getting diseased. That happened to me and had to have a bunch of bone removed from the front to make sure I fused. I was in bad shape.
                  They needed full access to the front. Sometimes this is necessary. They were also looking for cancer and didn’t find anything....

Leave all surgical decision’s up to your surgeon.
                  Ed
                  49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                  Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                  ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                  Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                  http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                  http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Working...