PDA

View Full Version : Anterior/Posterior Incisions

Irina
07-23-2012, 01:26 PM
For people who had an anterior-posterior surgery – where is your anterior scar – side or stomach? Do doctors give you a choice of where to have an anterior incision? Is one better than the other? I would think that side incision is better than stomach, but want to hear from others.

mabeckoff
07-23-2012, 02:35 PM
For people who had an anterior-posterior surgery – where is your anterior scar – side or stomach? Do doctors give you a choice of where to have an anterior incision? Is one better than the other? I would think that side incision is better than stomach, but want to hear from others.

I have a stomach incision, the choice was up to my surgeon , not me.

always smilin'
07-23-2012, 09:53 PM
Mine is on the side...actually I was surprised that I had both incisions when I awoke! Total surgeon call. I do have pain and cannot sleep on my left side for more than a few minutes at a time...I do not like to be touched at all on my side. I can't compare it to stomach as I don't know what that feeling is like. Best of luck to you!

LindaRacine
07-24-2012, 12:34 AM
Irina...

The incision is a function of the type of anterior procedure you're having. At UCSF, ALIF incisions are placed vertically, usually on the left side of the abdomen. The length of the incision is a function of the number and level of fusion. TLIF incisions are small and on the side. TLIFs and PLIFs are done from the back incision.

Regards,
Linda

annabeller
07-24-2012, 11:38 AM
I have one on the left lower part of my stomach. one on the side and two on the back. I think they go thru the side when they don't have to fuse the sacrum. They only went thru my front because he had to put a cage at the bottom of the fusion. So I am assuming that is the case. But the scars are not big. They are only about 4 inches long. THe posterior one is about 12 inches. Hope that helps

Irina
07-24-2012, 11:50 AM
Irina...

The incision is a function of the type of anterior procedure you're having. At UCSF, ALIF incisions are placed vertically, usually on the left side of the abdomen. The length of the incision is a function of the number and level of fusion. TLIF incisions are small and on the side. TLIFs and PLIFs are done from the back incision.

Regards,
Linda

Hi Linda,

What is ALIF, TLIF and PLIF?

LindaRacine
07-24-2012, 02:37 PM
Anterior Lumbar Interbody Fusion
Transforaminal Lumbar Interbody Fusion
Posterior Lumbar Interbody Fusion

In other words, there's lots of ways to get to the front of the lumbar spine.

Irina
07-24-2012, 07:15 PM
How do these scars look after it's all healed? Of course, any scar is better than a crooked back, but just curious.

titaniumed
07-25-2012, 12:53 AM
Hi Irina

I had an ALIF from L1-S1 anterior, then a PLIF from T2-Pelvis posterior. My front scar is a vertical scar in the center from my sternum down...they made a turn around the belly button. There are quite a host of entry points for particular surgeries, and for different reasons. I have read about the ALIF scars running off center vertically like Linda mentioned and of course find it of interest...I have bought surgical books to answer my own surgical questions.

My scars are fading away and are hardly noticeable. Scars really do blend in after the years go by.

http://www.coloradospineinstitute.com/subject.php?pn=treatment-plif-alif-tlif

I had major degeneration with my discs, (DDD) degenerative disc disease, and what can happen is after years, the vertebrae can end up getting diseased. That happened to me and had to have a bunch of bone removed from the front to make sure I fused. I was in bad shape.
They needed full access to the front. Sometimes this is necessary. They were also looking for cancer and didn’t find anything....

Leave all surgical decision’s up to your surgeon.
Ed