Are there Rehab Cruises? not for drugs & alcohol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are there Rehab Cruises? not for drugs & alcohol

Just wondering if there could be a cruise starting at the end of October that takes you to places, caters to all your needs, food, PT, yoga, shrink sessions etc. I could also use a total make-over on board, like that show on TV. New wardrobe, hair, etc.

I am not even on drugs right now, this is just my spaced out wishing mind...

Have a great day everyone! this thread is for just those who want to be silly taking a break from reality.. Be positive and send an answer, it might brighten your and others day

gardenia
    Gardenia
    Baja California, Mexico & El Centro, Ca
    pre-surgery 75° and 89° - post ?
    Dr. Bridwell Nov 27, 2012 @Barnes Jewish @62yrs
    T11 to Sacrum Dural leak at L2 & L3 ccmail4g@gmail.com

Gardenia--
    I'm not on drugs right at the moment either but it sounds like an awesome idea! I'm in--even 3 years later sounds fantastic. Janet
    Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
    Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
    Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
    Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
    T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Chairs Chairs (recommendations) if not a cruise

Hi Everyone,
      I am realizing that I have become extremely compulsive in many ways. I am in a super crazy hurry to get ready. As you know, I live in Baja Mexico but staying with my daughter during my surgery and recovery here in St Louis. She has a cute apartment but does not have a chair with arms. So this weekend, we went out and I wanted to buy a cute recliner at Costco at the warehouse. It was very nice and firm with wood arms. It fit my small body and it has nice cushions.

Problem, the box is too large to fit in her car and we would not be able to take up 3 flights up. But, I was ready. Then, we went to Ashley Furniture. Found many armed chairs and they deliver. I was ready to buy whichever she thought it would fit her apt decor. She wanted to come home and measure first to see how it would fit. Then, I could call and make the order thru phone.

We measured and the chair would be too bulky. Maybe, I could use a different chair like for a dining room etc ???? So, she suggested I ask my fellow friends on this forum before going crazy buying chairs.

I know I need to be able to sit and learn to do it by myself.

How much will I be sitting for the first 2 months? I won't be using it for watching TV, knitting or reading because by then I would be flying back home to Baja.

Can I lay on the couch and get out by myself? Is that a good idea at all?

How important is having an armed chair what do you suggest?
      My husband will be here the first month more of less. After that, I hope everyone could go back to their working activities leaving me home during the day. Will I be able to be left alone (more or less?) during the week? weekends I will have another daughter visit from Columbia but she is also in school.

Should I just buy a chair (like those in waiting rooms that are functional but not to keep?) or one for the dinning room type?

I just need to hear about your SITTING experience for the first 2 months.

I am here in St Louis for one more week because of blood testing (how important or special the blood works are I don't know but Dr B's office asked that I stay over in case the test have to be re-done)

Thanks, Gardenia
      Gardenia

Comment

Originally posted by gardenia View Post
        Hi Everyone,
        I am realizing that I have become extremely compulsive in many ways. I am in a super crazy hurry to get ready. As you know, I live in Baja Mexico but staying with my daughter during my surgery and recovery here in St Louis. She has a cute apartment but does not have a chair with arms. So this weekend, we went out and I wanted to buy a cute recliner at Costco at the warehouse. It was very nice and firm with wood arms. It fit my small body and it has nice cushions.

Problem, the box is too large to fit in her car and we would not be able to take up 3 flights up. But, I was ready. Then, we went to Ashley Furniture. Found many armed chairs and they deliver. I was ready to buy whichever she thought it would fit her apt decor. She wanted to come home and measure first to see how it would fit. Then, I could call and make the order thru phone.

We measured and the chair would be too bulky. Maybe, I could use a different chair like for a dining room etc ???? So, she suggested I ask my fellow friends on this forum before going crazy buying chairs.

I know I need to be able to sit and learn to do it by myself.

How much will I be sitting for the first 2 months? I won't be using it for watching TV, knitting or reading because by then I would be flying back home to Baja.

Can I lay on the couch and get out by myself? Is that a good idea at all?

How important is having an armed chair what do you suggest?
        My husband will be here the first month more of less. After that, I hope everyone could go back to their working activities leaving me home during the day. Will I be able to be left alone (more or less?) during the week? weekends I will have another daughter visit from Columbia but she is also in school.

Should I just buy a chair (like those in waiting rooms that are functional but not to keep?) or one for the dinning room type?

I just need to hear about your SITTING experience for the first 2 months.

I am here in St Louis for one more week because of blood testing (how important or special the blood works are I don't know but Dr B's office asked that I stay over in case the test have to be re-done)

Thanks, Gardenia
        I've come to preface my comments with "we're all different, but..." For me, sitting was uncomfortable, so I spent most of my day sleeping in bed, lying on the sofa (firm) or walking. Ten minutes at a time, sitting at the computer was all I could manage for about a month, but it did improve a little each week.

Our sofa is quite firm and was easy to get on and off, no problems.

Honestly, I think a dining chair will do the trick, if all else fails. You need a firm chair with a padded back, that will hold you upright. From that position, you can use your body and legs to get up without help and if it's at the table, you can grip the table.

I was alone each day but my partner left food out for me which I only had to microwave/toast etc. He did early shift so went about 3.30am and was home about midday. So I was only really alone in the mornings. I found standing and walking no problem at all. I was far less helpless than I'd imagined.

Ed always advises lots of soft pillows. So if the sofa or chairs that you have aren't comfortable, the pillows might do the trick.

Hope it all goes smoothly Gardenia!
        Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
        Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
        T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
        Osteotomies and Laminectomies
        Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Jennifer,

When were you able to cook? Curious because I love, love, love to cook.
          I am stronger than scoliosis, and won't let it rule my life!
          45 years old - diagnosed at age 7
          A/P surgery on March 5/7, 2013 - UCSF

Comment

When did you start being alone?

Jennifer,
            That was a great and prompt answer, thanks. How soon were you able to be left alone after leaving the hospital? For the past year, I have lost interest in eating or cooking when I am alone. I can always call for delivery (no pizza).

Laying in bed has been the story of my life.... I could do anything in bed. I keep telling my husband that if I had a studio (with a balcony overlooking the ocean or sea) high above the ground, with a TV, computer, and refrigerator. I would be a happy camper.

I used to work full time and travelled constantly to South America every month for business. I raised 2 wonderful girls and they always knew that I lived in bed by 8pm. Lately in Baja, the demand for my time has been on the computer to keep in touch with the world and I spent much less time in bed lounging.

I can survive as long as I can get up and go to the bathroom and move around.

I am quite used to moving in.out and around the bed using my extremities. There has been lots of time when my hip area could not move so I had to be resourceful in order to get out of bed. I ask for a hand only when really bad but for stability seldom for anyone to help me out. I accommodate my body in all type of contorsion movements quite interestingly and it works for me.

Thanks for the reply,

Gardenia

PS> there was someone who had videos showing how to get in and out of bed - can't remember where they were...
            Gardenia

Comment

Originally posted by Irina View Post
              Jennifer,

When were you able to cook? Curious because I love, love, love to cook.

Hi, Irina, standing at the kitchen counter was not a problem for me. My problem was with sitting. So I pottered in the kitchen from about 3 weeks, but probably didn't cook a full meal until about 5-6 weeks out of pure laziness and the fact my partner enjoys cooking. <grin>

Comment

Originally posted by gardenia View Post
                Jennifer,
                That was a great and prompt answer, thanks. How soon were you able to be left alone after leaving the hospital? For the past year, I have lost interest in eating or cooking when I am alone. I can always call for delivery (no pizza).

Laying in bed has been the story of my life.... I could do anything in bed. I keep telling my husband that if I had a studio (with a balcony overlooking the ocean or sea) high above the ground, with a TV, computer, and refrigerator. I would be a happy camper.

I used to work full time and travelled constantly to South America every month for business. I raised 2 wonderful girls and they always knew that I lived in bed by 8pm. Lately in Baja, the demand for my time has been on the computer to keep in touch with the world and I spent much less time in bed lounging.

I can survive as long as I can get up and go to the bathroom and move around.

I am quite used to moving in.out and around the bed using my extremities. There has been lots of time when my hip area could not move so I had to be resourceful in order to get out of bed. I ask for a hand only when really bad but for stability seldom for anyone to help me out. I accommodate my body in all type of contorsion movements quite interestingly and it works for me.

Thanks for the reply,

Gardenia

PS> there was someone who had videos showing how to get in and out of bed - can't remember where they were...
                I think it might have been Doreen who did those videos.

If you have a chest of drawers next to your bed, you can use that for leverage when you get up, if need be.

I was a bit different to most here, in that I was in hospital for 19 days. When I came home my partner continued working as usual. I was alone from approx 3.30am to around 12-1pm. But I was fine. I think I could have managed if I'd lived alone just with help getting fresh food in. My pain was under control with Oxycontin which made me relaxed and I slept a lot of the time. I wish I still slept as well as I did then! 10 hours at night and 2-3 hours during the day - it was wonderful. So the time passed very quickly and I got stronger every day. I walked every day. At first it was nerve-wracking, until I found I could do it ok. But my surgeon gave me only one instruction, to walk, so I did it religiously. I still do. At my 6 week appt. I told him I was walking every day and he said, "Now do it twice a day."

Looking back I think the walking did several things. It made me stronger and more confident in myself. It made me feel more like I was back to normal. It probably helped me sleep and probably increased my appetite, because I enjoyed my food, despite the medication. Not sure if it helped with fusion but it was visible at 6 weeks. For these reasons, I think walking is a great idea for post-op patients.

Comment

Your cruise idea sounds relaxing.
                  I couldn't sit for very long at first, but was most comfortable on our couch. I added a large seat cushion from another couch so that it was about 6 inches higher than a normal couch. I had lots of pillows behind my back.
                  In the kitchen, I added extra seat cushions and also a pillow behind my back. I had planned to use a computer chair with arms, but I liked the couch better. It's kind of trial and error after surgery to find what's most comfortable.
                  Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
                  Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
                  70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
                  Rib Hump-GONE!
                  Age-60 at the time of surgery
                  Now 66
                  Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                  Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
                  Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
                  Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
                  tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
                  http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Everyone is different, but....

I couldn't sit really at all the first two months. I would force myself to sit for meals, but even then I would scarf the food down and be up in about 10 minutes (and in quite a bit of pain). I'm not sure you need an arm chair. I think any chair with a firm seat would have worked for my limited needs early on. I still can't sit comfortably in my leather recliner.

I put a twin-bed size egg-shell foam bed cover on top of my couch cushions. I put an electric blanket on top of that. That was my go-to place in the living room for months. I have only recently (4 months post-op) moved the foam, but I still lay flat on the couch. Doreen has a very nice video of logrolling. They will also teach you it in the hospital. Hold those an muscles as tight as you can--it cuts the back pain.

Irina, I did not cook for quite a while--2-3 months? But I was spoiled because neighbors brought meals and my mom was living with me. It is difficult to get things in and out of the oven, still. Think top of stove.

Best,
                    Evelyn
                    age 48
                    80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
                    Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
                    Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
                    Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
                    Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

Originally posted by Confusedmom View Post
                      Everyone is different, but....

I couldn't sit really at all the first two months. I would force myself to sit for meals, but even then I would scarf the food down and be up in about 10 minutes (and in quite a bit of pain). I'm not sure you need an arm chair. I think any chair with a firm seat would have worked for my limited needs early on. I still can't sit comfortably in my leather recliner.

I put a twin-bed size egg-shell foam bed cover on top of my couch cushions. I put an electric blanket on top of that. That was my go-to place in the living room for months. I have only recently (4 months post-op) moved the foam, but I still lay flat on the couch. Doreen has a very nice video of logrolling. They will also teach you it in the hospital. Hold those an muscles as tight as you can--it cuts the back pain.

Irina, I did not cook for quite a while--2-3 months? But I was spoiled because neighbors brought meals and my mom was living with me. It is difficult to get things in and out of the oven, still. Think top of stove.

Best,
                      Evelyn
                      Evelyn,

You’re saying it is still difficult to get things in-out of the oven, but is it allowed at 4 months post-op? I thought we should not bend at all for at least half-a-year or am I wrong?
                      Last edited by Irina; 07-25-2012, 03:16 PM.
                      I am stronger than scoliosis, and won't let it rule my life!
                      45 years old - diagnosed at age 7
                      A/P surgery on March 5/7, 2013 - UCSF

Comment

Working...
                      X