Neck issue after surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neck issue after surgery

Has anyone else had an issue with their neck after having spinal surgery? I am 8 weeks post-op and am doing great otherwise but I keep having an issue with my neck recently. This is going to sound funny but it seems as if it gets tired of supporting my head. LOL I just recently started taking a muscle relaxer to see if it will help but I don't want to be taking a muscle relaxer all the time. My surgery was from T2 to the sacrum.

Marjorie
    Marjorie

Surgery in 2 phases, May 17 & May 22, 2012
    Prior to surgery: Thoracic 75, Lumbar 45
    After surgery: Thoracic 27, Lumbar 28
    Surgeon: Dr. Nathan Lebwohl, Miami, FL

Marjorie,

I have had issues with my neck and usually when this happens I will go visit my Chiro. At 8 weeks, this would not be a great idea. It takes around 6-12 months to fuse, and then they don’t really know for sure if you are fused...

They do have cervical traction units for sale pretty cheap. I would ask your surgeon about using one of these so early. They also have the inflatable neck collars...just google neck collars or cervical traction.

Try a soft down pillow for your neck, or a small towel rolled up into a 2-3 inch circle. Lay under you neck laying supine, it helps with lordosis of the neck.

Ed
    49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
    Pre surgery curves T70,L70
    ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
    Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

I didn't have neck problems myself, but I do recall other people saying the same thing that it felt like their neck couldn't support their head. Have your contacted your surgeon's office about this? I would. Hope you feel better ((Hugs))

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
      Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
      Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
      Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
      Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Update on Neck Issue

I saw my surgoen on Monday and it ends up I have what is called a Frozen Shoulder. When I looked it up on the internet, the Frozen Shoulder syndrome can affect your neck and other areas surrounding your shoulders. He gave me a prescription to see a physical therapist. I also pulled some great information and basic exercises off the internet which I started implementing until I can see the PT.

Thanks for the advice and the Hugs!!

Marjorie
        Marjorie

Comment

I did continue to have neck issues---then I had a cervical fusion{C5-6-7}. It did help with numbness, but I continue having a problem with the right shoulder area. I guess this is what to expect with spinal issues!
          T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
          C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
          T2--T10 fusion 2/11
          C 4-5 fusion 11/14
          Right scapulectomy 6/15
          Right pectoralis major muscle transfer to scapula
          To replace the action of Serratus Anterior muscle 3/16
          Broken neck 9/28/2018
          Emergency surgery posterior fusion C4- T3
          Repeated 11/2018 because rods pulled apart added T2 fusion
          Removal of partial right thoracic hardware 1/2020
          Removal and replacement of C4-T10 hardware with C7 and T 1
          Osteotomy

Comment

Originally posted by mbeckett View Post
            I saw my surgoen on Monday and it ends up I have what is called a Frozen Shoulder. When I looked it up on the internet, the Frozen Shoulder syndrome can affect your neck and other areas surrounding your shoulders. He gave me a prescription to see a physical therapist. I also pulled some great information and basic exercises off the internet which I started implementing until I can see the PT.

Thanks for the advice and the Hugs!!

Marjorie
            I had a frozen shoulder as a result of my surgery! The shoulder doctor told me it's common in upper back and chest surgery patients. I saw a PT for 12 weeks, and then continues exercises on my own. Within 6 months of PT, it was totally gone.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
            Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
            Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
            Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
            Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

I haven't had surgery, but I had some problems with my left shoulder and arm from Botox injections. It turned out that when the upper trapezius was relaxed a little, it pulled on my shoulder and affected my neck, shoulder and arm. My arm actually went numb for a little while. The doc said it reconfigured my anatomy. I can't imagine how straightening the spine would be, but I'm sure a whole lot worse than what I experienced. It makes sense, though. Some of your muscles are used to being short and now have an unusual pull on them and will take time for them to lengthen. Other muscles that have been elongated would tend to be floppy now that the tension is off of them. I hope you feel better.
              Be happy!
              We don't know what tomorrow brings,
              but we are alive today!

Comment

PT & Your Doctor

Originally posted by debbei View Post
                I had a frozen shoulder as a result of my surgery! The shoulder doctor told me it's common in upper back and chest surgery patients. I saw a PT for 12 weeks, and then continues exercises on my own. Within 6 months of PT, it was totally gone.
                Wow, it really took 6 months to get better. I haven't seen the PT yet because I haven't been driving. I've been doing some exercises on my own at home and switching out between ice and heat. I found an excellent source on the internet that had some exercises noted so I'm doing the ones that I can in the meantime. The last couple of nights have been rough though because I can't get comfortable in the bed, hence, I'm up writing on this forum at 12:19 am at night.

I noticed the name of your surgeon and the name seemed familiar and then it hit me, he wrote a book on scoliosis. His book was one of the two sources that I read and referred to quite frequently before I had my surgery. How very interesting.

Marjorie
                Marjorie

Comment

Working...
                X