Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

wore a brace for 10 years, and i still need surgery........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wore a brace for 10 years, and i still need surgery........

Well, i'm 17 years old, living in western PA. I've worn a brace since i was about 7 and a half. My curves have progress steadily and are up to 55 and 54 degrees. My doctor says the best option is surgery. I am worried about what to do for college coming up next fall. When should i have surgery so that i can still go to college in time. What is the best time for surgery so that i'll be in good enough shape to leave for school?

Mmmmm is a little stale isn't it. Trust me I can understand your feelings completely. Me 23 hours a day seven days a week for 7 years in a row, then a further 2 and a bit when I was older. Read my siggy and you'll get the idea :-) But bracing always has to be given a go, the chance is one that has to be taken.

My memory of Northern Hemisphere seasons is a bit sketchy (you're the opposite to us :-) but I think thats about September ish.... (I think :-) the one piece of helpful advice I can give you is that once College starts its much easier to "put it off" when your in college and then you'll find it difficult to make time to fit it in. BUt you've also got to think about that you'll need about 4 months to be "pretty much" recovered, especially if your going away to college and don't quite have the same help you get at home. In high school most people are back at school after 6 to 8 weeks and then are on further restriction from anywhere from 3 to 6 months after surgery. . I'd say before college have the surgery........but that's just me and whilst the curves aren't too high and your chances of better correction are in your favour. I'd want to put it all behind me and then start afresh in college without worries of surgery and having to fit it in. If you did have surgery pretty close to school could you perhaps take less classes in first semester, whilst you were still recovering and pretty tired etc and then pick them up again later on.

I know I've probably not been much help, but hopefully I've given you stuff to think about. Ultimately the decision is up to you and your parents.

Regards

Alison

Comment

Hi Faris...

You should discuss this issue with your surgeon. It's possible that you'd be able to have the surgery as soon as school is out this year, and still be able to start college on time.

Regards,
      Linda
      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

college student

I too am a college student and although I had my surgeries before I started college I would suggest you taking the Fall semester off and start fresh with the Spring semester. It is really hard to find time to have surgery after you start your classes. If you really wanna start in the fall then maybe plan on taking spring semester off, that way you have the whole semester to recoup and if your well enough you can either take summer classes if they are offered or rest some more and really get yourself in gear for the next fall. If you do wait till spring semester to go, you can always complete all your registration information and placement tests in the fall so your ready to go in the sping. Some schools offer classes online too, so if you try to register for a couple of these then even if you can't physically handle school you can practice your sitting up and homework at the same time :-) I've taken quite a few of these and it has saved my butt a few times on a bad day. Also make sure that you look into your school's Disability Services (sometimes called Special Student Services). They can offer you a lot of help. Everything from cart rides to your classes to someone taking notes for you (or a tap recorder) to more times on tests. It's a great resource!
        Last edited by Littleone1016; 01-19-2005, 10:19 PM.
        Jennifer

26 years old. Diagnosed with severe Scoliosis/Kyphosis and CMT at the age of 8. Have had a total of 6 surgeries, 4 on my spine and 2 on both of my feet. Including rod removal surgery. I am fused from T-2 to T-12.

Comment

Working...
        X