Advice about Chiari

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice about Chiari

Can anyone advise me about Chiari. I have scoliosis and in the last year or so I have increasing symptoms of tingly hands and fingers and I often cannot swallow, particularly in the morning and in the middle of the night I wake up with a sort of blocked windpipe where I gasp to get air. My hands shake really badly and after exercise they are impossible to control.

I suffered with Superventricular tachycardia all my life and finalyl had cardiac ablation two years ago to sort it out but it was never assessed in the light of my scoliois.

I have no idea who to go for advice - I suspect my GP will look at me blankly and I don't want to go looking for problems if there are no solutions etc.

I have had an MRI recently - full spine but it did not do my neck or head even though I have a cervical curve as well as thoracic and lumbar! I don't really want another one as they are really painful to have because of the lying on back bit.

There is a Filum terminae surgery. The only one non surgical method I know attempting to reduce the medullary traction (one of the causes for some people) is the craneosacral therapy http://www.osteopathie-france.net/es...till11?start=1 although I have read a good article saying that the same outcome may be achieved with the practice of Yoga.

Comment

Originally posted by flerc View Post
      There is a Filum terminae surgery. The only one non surgical method I know attempting to reduce the medullary traction (one of the causes for some people) is the craneosacral therapy http://www.osteopathie-france.net/es...till11?start=1 although I have read a good article saying that the same outcome may be achieved with the practice of Yoga.
      Be EXTREMELY careful with craniosacral therapy. It was invented by a D.O. but is largely done by chiros as far as I know. It is NOT medicine.

People have died.

http://www.chirobase.org/16Victims/gallagher.html

The theory underlying craniosacral therapy is erroneous because the sphenoid and occipital bones (important for "cranial" practitioners) fuse by the end of adolescence, many other skull bones begin to fuse by age 25 or 30, and no scientific research has demonstrated convincingly that manual manipulation can move the individual bones of an adult human skull or that lightly touching the head has any therapeutic value [7]. Nor is there any credible evidence that "the rhythms of the craniosacral system can be felt as clearly as the rhythms of the cardiovascular and respiratory systems," as an Upledger Institute brochure claims [8]. In short, the theory and practice of cranial therapy and "correction of the meninges" have no basis in reality [9,10].

http://www.quackwatch.com/01Quackery...s/cranial.html

I do not believe that craniosacral therapy has any therapeutic value. Its underlying theory is false because the bones of the skull fuse by the end of adolescence and no research has ever demonstrated that manual manipulation can move the individual cranial bones [11]. Nor do I believe that "the rhythms of the craniosacral system can be felt as clearly as the rhythms of the cardiovascular and respiratory systems," as is claimed by another Upledger Institute brochure [12]. The brain does pulsate, but this is exclusively related to the cardiovascular system [13], and no relationship between brain pulsation and general health has been demonstrated.

A few years ago, three physical therapists who examined the same 12 patients diagnosed significantly different "craniosacral rates," which is the expected outcome of measuring a nonexistent phenomenon [14]. Another study compared the "craniosacral rate" measured at the head and feet of 28 adults by two examiners and found that the results were highly inconsistent [15].

In 1999, after doing a comprehensive review of published studies, the British Columbia Office of Health Technology Assessment (BCOHTA) concluded that the theory is invalid and that practitioners cannot reliably measure what they claim to be modifying. The 68-page report concludes that "there is insufficient evidence to recommend craniosacral therapy to patients, practitioners, or third party payers." [16]

In 2011, the Archives of Disease in Childhood published the results of a well-designed randomized, controlled study of 142 children ages 5-12 with cerebral palsy. About half received cranial therapy (up to six sessions) and the others were placed on a "waiting list." After six months, the researers found no difference between the treatment and no-treatment groups in gross motor function or the child's quality of life [17].

In 2002, two basic science professors at the University of New England College of Osteopathic Medicine concluded:

Our own and previously published findings suggest that the proposed mechanism for cranial osteopathy is invalid and that interexaminer (and, therefore, diagnostic) reliability is approximately zero. Since no properly randomized, blinded, and placebo-controlled outcome studies have been published, we conclude that cranial osteopathy should be removed from curricula of colleges of osteopathic medicine and from osteopathic licensing examinations [11].

I certainly agree! In fact, I believe that most practitioners of craniosacral therapy have such poor judgment that they should be delicensed.
      Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
      Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Originally posted by Pooka1 View Post
        Be EXTREMELY careful with craniosacral therapy. It was invented by a D.O. but is largely done by chiros as far as I know. It is NOT medicine.
        If we means as medicine only all supported by medical community and if we would suppose that only all belonging to that definition is good, the non-surgical section would not have any sense.
        I never heard noone talking to take care with craneo sacral therapy.
        I believed that only Osteopaths learn CS

People have died.
        People may die and certainly some people died because surgery, but trying to say the same about CS therapy..
        Is EXTREMELY tendentiousness and absurd to say that that man died because that therapy . You should to realize that.

Unfortunately I lost my hard disk some months ago. I have read an article about a study measuring this rhythm before, during *and after a CS session.
        lt not inspired me any kind of respect someone referring as silly what osteopaths does and knows.

Comment

It's quackery.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

May be..as everything. Surgical or non surgical. A quack is what it was for people who chose a solution and not worked for them as the professional said it will work. Is the same if the solution comes from medical community or from that people announcing the end of the world.
            The question is how we may know if something worked at least in one case or definitely never worked for nobody. What I do is to give my data (email..) to the professional in order that he may give it to her patients having really good results with the treatment. If nobody write or call me or simply the professional refuse to do that, I conclude that his work is a fraud. If the same happens with other professionals of the same discipline, I conclude that is enough information for me to conclude that I have not any element to believe that that treatment may work.

Comment

Burdle

Did someone diagnose you with Chiari?

Ed
              49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
              Pre surgery curves T70,L70
              ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
              Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

It's quackery as much as perpetual motion machines are quackery.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

I might say the same if I would want about the surgery that surgeons does for Chiari. I don’t do that because I’m not trying (as you) to convince nobody about what they should to do and I don’t want to cut the hopes of nobody having a health problem.
                  Burdle you should to know about that official surgery. I suppose that in the surgical section you might find something.

Comment

As I have said you once in a large discussion,perpetual motion idea means a violation of physics laws. Which laws are violating CS?

Comment

And about the link you posted.. as I know, Sutherland, not Upledger was the first working in CS, probably the name was different and Upledger made some variations, I don’t know. As I know, Sutherland arrived to that technique because an accident, an extraordinary improvement of a patient because some pressure on the head or something like that. I never heard an Osteopath talking about talking with the inner physician or something like that..

Comment

I'm not absolutely sure but I beleive that Sutherland was also a physcian..this will make him belonging to the troup of the good guys, not?

Comment

Originally posted by flerc View Post
                          I'm not absolutely sure but I beleive that Sutherland was also a physcian..this will make him belonging to the troup of the good guys, not?
                          Well it would mean he was trained at least. D.O.s have similar training to M.D. but chiros are untakable. They have no relevant training. Chiro is not a science and is based on fantasy (chiro subluxation).

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Por favor, trate de ser mucho más escéptica.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Well it would mean he was trained at least. D.O.s have similar training to M.D. but chiros are untakable. They have no relevant training. Chiro is not a science and is based on fantasy (chiro subluxation).
                              Sorry, I don't know what means D.O. or M.D. ..
                              I'm not sure why, but I continuos without reading about chiropractic principles. Anyway I realy believe that could not have nothing to do with Osteopathy, so nothing to do with CS, that probably should only be used by Osteophaths

Comment

Working...
                              X