Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Please list questions one should ask when interviewing a surgeon, how do you decide?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please list questions one should ask when interviewing a surgeon, how do you decide?

For all of you that have had scoliosis surgery: I am interested in making a list of questions that I should use when interviewing a doctor to possibly be my surgeon for scoliosis. Then when you get different approaches or answers, how do you decide?

What questions should I ask the surgeon?

Also, what criteria do you suggest someone should consider when choosing a scoliosis surgeon?

What questions DIDN'T you ask before the surgery that you wish that you HAD ASKED?

When you have the information about a couple of different surgeons, how do you choose between them?

When one doctor says that he would fuse from T3 to L3 and the next doctor says he will fuse from T3 to S1, how do you figure that out? Obviously I might want to go with the lesser fusion, but how do I know that the longer fusion might be better for me in the long run?

Then there are questions about anterior and posterior approach and 1 day or multiday surgery. How do you make sense out which one is best for you if different doctors suggest different approaches?

How important is it to choose a doctor near your home town/city?

What else should I ask?

Thanks. Susan
    Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
    2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
    2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
    2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
    2018: Removal L4,5 screw
    2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Originally posted by susancook View Post
    For all of you that have had scoliosis surgery: I am interested in making a list of questions that I should use when interviewing a doctor to possibly be my surgeon for scoliosis. Then when you get different approaches or answers, how do you decide?

What questions should I ask the surgeon?

Also, what criteria do you suggest someone should consider when choosing a scoliosis surgeon?

What questions DIDN'T you ask before the surgery that you wish that you HAD ASKED?

When you have the information about a couple of different surgeons, how do you choose between them?

When one doctor says that he would fuse from T3 to L3 and the next doctor says he will fuse from T3 to S1, how do you figure that out? Obviously I might want to go with the lesser fusion, but how do I know that the longer fusion might be better for me in the long run?

Then there are questions about anterior and posterior approach and 1 day or multiday surgery. How do you make sense out which one is best for you if different doctors suggest different approaches?

How important is it to choose a doctor near your home town/city?

What else should I ask?

Thanks. Susan
    HELP! I keep checking to see if anyone posted here and nobody has. I did receive an email from someone with his suggestions, so if nobody is posting here, maybe it is because this message has already been posted and everyone already answered w/ a list? PLEASE DIRECT ME to that Message. Thanks. Susan....and I really don't know the answers to these questions or I would not ask!
    Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection

Comment

Susan

I will post on this for you soon.....I promise.

I have been extremely busy, AND doing CONSTRUCTION work on my home.

At least I answered David’s “construction after surgery” question from Florida from a few years ago...

I’m way too tired tonight.

Beast of burden.

Ed
      49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
      Pre surgery curves T70,L70
      ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
      Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Originally posted by titaniumed View Post
        Susan

I will post on this for you soon.....I promise.

I have been extremely busy, AND doing CONSTRUCTION work on my home.

At least I answered David’s “construction after surgery” question from Florida from a few years ago...

I’m way too tired tonight.

Beast of burden.

Ed
        Good luck w/ your construction! At least I know that my email appears on someone else's email than mine! You should reply to the email that asked if anyone was physically active after a fusion.
        Susan

Comment

I still don't like the idea of going to one's surgeon with a list of questions made up by some else, but I have to admit there are several questions on this list that make a lot of sense.

http://www.srs.org/patient_and_family/questions_to_ask/
          Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
          Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Working...
          X