PDA

View Full Version : Incision Scab, Redness & Itching

mbeckett
07-03-2012, 11:03 PM
I am 6 weeks post-op and within the last couple of days, mid-way down my back around the incision site, it is red and itchy. The rest of my incision above that area the scabs have fallen off and are healing nicely. But this area just started turning red and when my clothes brush over it, it itches. My daughter says that the incision itself does not look infected but we can't understand why the outer area is now red. I've had her apply over the counter antibiotic cream twice today and yesterday. Tonight I am going to take a benedry tablet in hopes that it will help calm it down. It's not so itchy that I am going crazy, it's more worrisome than anything. I do "not" have a fever and as a matter of fact, my spirits have been real good the last couple of days so I don't think it is infected but why would it be red and itch? Has anyone else gone through this?

Marjorie

6 weeks post-op from 2-stage spinal surgery
Both anterior and posterior surgery

leahdragonfly
07-04-2012, 12:20 AM
Hi there,

I would definitely put in a call to your surgeon's office about this, and run it by them.

Were you putting any lotion or creams on it prior to this?

rohrer01
07-04-2012, 02:01 AM
I haven't had spine surgery, but I would suggest you call your surgeon ASAP. Infections don't always cause fever. I had an infection in my c-section incision that actually burst open and didn't have a fever. It was red and itchy as well. I'm not trying to scare you, but it's best to get it checked out just to be on the safe side. Is it hot/warm to the touch?

Jenna.KB
07-04-2012, 03:08 AM
Hi,

My scar from my first operation was red and itchy in parts. I just got a nurse to put cream on and when it had soaked in she covered it with a thin gause type material and a little loose padding and put tape around the edges to keep it on. That stopped me knocking it and in a few days it was fine. They thought it might be where the stitches still hadn't dissolved.

If its not better in a few days maybe get it checked out though

Marina63
07-04-2012, 07:58 AM
Hi!
I had the same thing and of course immediately thought my body was rejecting the metal. I went to my primary care doctor and he gave me a steriod pack which honestly did nothing. It took a couple of months and eventually went away by itself. I wouldn't be too worried about it. I've read on other posts that it might be residual surgical tape. Call your doctor but chances are, it's nothing other than a reaction to the tape. Mine didn't show up until about 4 weeks post surgery.

Good luck!

LindaRacine
07-04-2012, 11:14 AM
Hi Marjorie...

It could be nothing, or it could be an internal stitch trying to make it's way to the surface, or it could be the beginning of an infection. I suspect your doctor will want you to come in so that someone can take a look at it for you.

Regards,
Linda

mbeckett
07-04-2012, 11:21 PM
Thank you everyone that responded to my post. It sounds like it might not be anything major to worry about but everyone seems to be in agreement that I notify the surgeon and perhaps have him or my primary take a look.

Thanks again & I hope everyone had a safe & happy 4th of July!

Marjorie

gardenia
07-20-2012, 08:40 PM
Could it be the nerve endings coming back? I have not had the surgery but I had a surgery for endometriosis many centuries before and as the nerves started coming back, the ends itched and no scratching would help.

Just a thought.