PDA

View Full Version : Good news!!!

Kat3573
07-02-2012, 06:29 PM
Hi everybody!! So i'm stuck in a brace at 53* thoracic curve and i went to my brace doctor who originally said that he might be able to bring me down to 30*(not knowing the fact that im 53* i dont know what my parents told him) well i went to him today and i showed him the brusies and everything and told him that im 48* in a brace and he said what r u with out the brace and i told him 53* and my parents ask him what do you think her curvature is in the brace right now and he said no less than 46*!!! He ask who my surgeon and i told him and he said that he and his protoche(pro- tow- shay) are one of the best scolisis surgeons in the world !! He said that he even met one of them in the morning today!!! My parents asked him is the brace or surgery a better option he said surgery!! Because the brace has very random outcomes it might be good or bad it all depends on how it was fitted surgery has much better out comes and my parents were like 0.0 so i *might* get surgery but my parents want to get another xray and talk to my surgeons

do u think i should get another two xrays cuz here are my xray dates and i dont want to get cancer from all that radiation

1/19/12
3/3/12
5/3/12

what do u think?!vdont forget that if i get surgery then ill havee to get an mri and more xrays etc.

Im sooo happy everything is coming together!

Pooka1
07-02-2012, 06:45 PM
protoche(pro- tow- shay)

protégé - (pro-teh-jhay)

do u think i should get another two xrays cuz here are my xray dates and i dont want to get cancer from all that radiation

1/19/12
3/3/12
5/3/12

what do u think?!vdont forget that if i get surgery then ill havee to get an mri and more xrays etc.

You are getting unnecessary radiation and it is unconscionable (un-CON-sheon-able).

Im sooo happy everything is coming together!

I am also. You need to get away from the amateurs and back to an island of sanity with your surgeon.

mabeckoff
07-02-2012, 07:21 PM
what wonderful news!

susancook
07-03-2012, 02:27 AM
I am happy for you too! If you are worried about the risk of radiation, then you need to talk with the doctor and ask the doctor [or he a guy or a girl????] about that and tell him/her that you are worried. Have the doctor explain to you how much radiation you are getting with each xray. It's YOUR BODY and if it worries you, ask questions....look it up on the internet.
Susan

rohrer01
07-03-2012, 10:33 AM
That's good news for you! As far as x-rays go, since you have only had three, I'm quite confident you'll be fine. You will need an MRI for surgery and possibly a CT/myelogram, which gives a ton more radiation than x-rays and definitely more x-rays. But on the positive side, once this is all over with, you should need very few x-rays after you are all healed. Many of us get a lot of x-ray exposure. It comes with the territory of having scoliosis. If your curve is rapidly progressing, then they do x-ray every couple of months so they can determine your progression. I would insist on having them shield your breast area and your reproductive area. Sometimes they can't always do shielding because they may need to see an area of your spine that the shield interferes with, but if not, please insist.

I'm actually horrified that this guy put you in a brace without knowing your original curve size! How did he fit you for it without knowing that information? Did he put you in a randomly generic brace? I feel really bad about that and especially your bruising. That must be really painful. =(

When do you go back and see your surgeon?

Please keep us updated!

Kat3573
07-04-2012, 10:28 PM
That's good news for you! As far as x-rays go, since you have only had three, I'm quite confident you'll be fine. You will need an MRI for surgery and possibly a CT/myelogram, which gives a ton more radiation than x-rays and definitely more x-rays. But on the positive side, once this is all over with, you should need very few x-rays after you are all healed. Many of us get a lot of x-ray exposure. It comes with the territory of having scoliosis. If your curve is rapidly progressing, then they do x-ray every couple of months so they can determine your progression. I would insist on having them shield your breast area and your reproductive area. Sometimes they can't always do shielding because they may need to see an area of your spine that the shield interferes with, but if not, please insist.

I'm actually horrified that this guy put you in a brace without knowing your original curve size! How did he fit you for it without knowing that information? Did he put you in a randomly generic brace? I feel really bad about that and especially your bruising. That must be really painful. =(

When do you go back and see your surgeon?

Please keep us updated!

I guess my parents told him I was in the 40's (which I originally was) 2 days ago I we t to him and he put in a pad he really wanted me to have surgery but my parents want me o grow to my ful height before surgery I'm seeing my surgeon in7 hours sooo ya probably tomorrow will be the day I parents will agree on surgery just pray/ hope that they do :D

Kat3573
07-04-2012, 10:32 PM
Ve actually had 6 xrays 2 xrays on each date is that ok?

leahdragonfly
07-04-2012, 11:39 PM
Hi Kat,

That is not much radiation exposure from 6 x-rays. Try not to worry about those. Insisting on shielding is a very good idea, though.

I am glad things are finally looking up for you. It was ridiculous for you to have to wear any brace, and at this point surgery is the best option. You surgeon should be able to reassure your parents about whether or not you will lose potential growth from surgery. Feel free to ask the surgeon whatever questions YOU want answered, too, even if you think they might sound dumb or something.

Good luck, and let us know how things go tomorrow!

Pooka1
07-05-2012, 07:31 AM
Hi Kat,

That is not much radiation exposure from 6 x-rays. Try not to worry about those. Insisting on shielding is a very good idea, though.

I am glad things are finally looking up for you. It was ridiculous for you to have to wear any brace, and at this point surgery is the best option. You surgeon should be able to reassure your parents about whether or not you will lose potential growth from surgery. Feel free to ask the surgeon whatever questions YOU want answered, too, even if you think they might sound dumb or something.

Good luck, and let us know how things go tomorrow!

I agree with Gayle.

Just remember, whenever you are in any room without the surgeon, you are the most informed person there. You will have better questions than anyone else. I am sorry you are surrounded by amateurs when not with the surgeon.

Kat3573
07-05-2012, 05:22 PM
Yay!!! My surgery is on august 17 2012!!!
But I'm 59*
but who cares!!

Pooka1
07-05-2012, 05:27 PM
Yay!!! My surgery is on august 17 2012!!!
But I'm 59*
but who cares!!

My kids were 57* and 58*. No worries.

Good luck, Kat. You will be a star! :-)

Kat3573
07-05-2012, 08:50 PM
My kids were 57* and 58*. No worries.

Good luck, Kat. You will be a star! :-)

That's why my nurse said
She said u will do really well
And
I like her!(I'm really funny in person!)

leahdragonfly
07-05-2012, 10:19 PM
Hi Kat,

I'm glad your parents saw the light and you got your surgery scheduled. You will do great and have a quick recovery, I am sure.

Let us know how you're doing,

Kat3573
07-06-2012, 12:04 AM
I'm really disappointed by the fact that I'm going to be fused from t2-L2 I'm afraid I won't be that flexible :/

Pooka1
07-06-2012, 06:19 AM
I'm really disappointed by the fact that I'm going to be fused from t2-L2 I'm afraid I won't be that flexible :/

That is similar to the fusion for my kids... T4-L1 and they say it really doesn't affect them. They can't bend sideways where they are fused but they can below that. They can bend forward and backward and they have good posture.

Most people don't bend too much through the area you will be fused so it may not affect you at all.

Kat3573
07-06-2012, 01:42 PM
He things that I dance alot and I need to be able to move my hips
Like bellydancing, meringue, salsa

Like this kind of dancing

Pooka1
07-06-2012, 06:02 PM
He things that I dance alot and I need to be able to move my hips
Like bellydancing, meringue, salsa

Like this kind of dancing

Your fusion won't affect that. It ends too high.

Kat3573
07-06-2012, 08:55 PM
Your fusion won't affect that. It ends too high.
Oh u made me feel soo much better! Although I prefer it ends up to T12

What should I bring at the hospital
In bringing
Blankets
Chapstick

That's about it
Anything else?

Kat3573
07-06-2012, 10:03 PM
Idk why but now it hit now the idea of a major change in my body it sorta scares me becuz good or bad it will stay/be like that and I won't have a normal flexible back

Pooka1
07-06-2012, 10:14 PM
Idk why but now it hit now the idea of a major change in my body it sorta scares me becuz good or bad it will stay/be like that and I won't have a normal flexible back

It could be a lot worse. You are lucky to only have a thoracic curve.

Kat3573
07-07-2012, 04:02 PM
What should i bring to the hospital

susancook
07-07-2012, 07:58 PM
I just wanted to say that you must be a very smart young lady! You will do very well at whatever you decide to do in life, including this surgery!!!

I look forward to reading about your surgery.

Bring your great attitude and sense of humor to the hospital. Chapstick, your favorite blanket, your favorite stuffed animal or whatever you have on your bed that you like to snuggle with, chapstick [of course!], a camera to take pictures, and the usual stuff like: comb, brush, toothbrush, fav lotion, slippers. Hospitals have gowns and robes.

Susan

rohrer01
07-09-2012, 04:55 PM
Wow, Kat. I'm just catching up on your thread. That is a quick surgery date! Be glad it is sooner than later. That way you won't stress over it for as long. ANY time you are faced with surgery for any reason it is nerve wracking. Remember, this is what you wanted. Just think, you had 6* of progression IN BRACE and in a short time. You seem to have an aggressive curve. I'm glad that you are getting it taken care of. Linda Racine has a list of things that are helpful to bring to the hospital. If you have a laptop, I would bring that so you can watch movies, get on the internet (and let us know how you are doing - wink, wink!) You might want an i-pod if you are into music. IF you are having periods, you'll want to bring stuff for that. I've heard of women starting their period from the stress of surgery. BUT the fortunate thing for you is that you have your parents there. You can't forget them! They can go and get anything you forgot or think of that you want! =0) Kids have a MUCH easier time than adults. If/when I ever get fused, I'll be having the same levels done (maybe one higher) so I'll be asking YOU for advice! How's that for a turn of events?! We're all thinking of you! Pass the time by keeping busy. Get as much fun out of your summer as possible. Maybe your family can go on vacation! That would be nice. I know if one of my kids asked me to do something like that, I'd probably go out on a limb to go somewhere, even if I didn't have a lot of money. Keep us posted. ((((HUGS))))

Pooka1
07-09-2012, 05:46 PM
Remember, this is what you wanted.

No. Nobody wants surgery. Some people like Kat and my daughters need it though.

rohrer01
07-09-2012, 08:10 PM
No. Nobody wants surgery. Some people like Kat and my daughters need it though.

I didn't mean it in that sense. I meant it in the sense that Kat thought, and rightly so, that surgery was the best treatment option for her. Apologies if offense was taken. =(

Kat3573
07-09-2012, 10:47 PM
Don't worry no offense was taken of course I want surgery becuz I need surgery

Idk if I'll have the energy to keep u guys updated but i will try..pinky swear lol

Haha don't worry I won't mind helping u guys!! U were there for me so y shouldn't I be there to u!

U guys r like my base, scadolffing, pilar, support, etc

(((HUGS EVERYONE)))

Kat3573
07-09-2012, 10:50 PM
Yes we r going on vacation next week! They said enjoy ur time and do everything and anything that u want nowadays :D
This will proabaly be he best summer!

rohrer01
07-09-2012, 10:58 PM
Yay! Enjoy your summer!

susancook
07-10-2012, 04:30 AM
Enjoy your vacation! You have a BIG team on your side wishing you the best. You sound like you have a lot of energy. You will do well in the surgery and will heal quickly so you can be with your friends. I bet that you are educating your friends about scoliosis! Keep us posted on how you are doing and we can't wait to see a picture of you smiling after your crooked back is straight!!!!!!
Susan PS: Please let us know YOUR suggestions for being in the hospital after your surgery.

Kat3573
07-10-2012, 11:45 PM
Enjoy your vacation! You have a BIG team on your side wishing you the best. You sound like you have a lot of energy. You will do well in the surgery and will heal quickly so you can be with your friends. I bet that you are educating your friends about scoliosis! Keep us posted on how you are doing and we can't wait to see a picture of you smiling after your crooked back is straight!!!!!!
Susan PS: Please let us know YOUR suggestions for being in the hospital after your surgery.

Thanks guys! I guess I do have a big team!

It's so funny how people know stuff about me and I dont tell them it

I Promise I will give my suggestions