Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question about why scoliosis pain is burning?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about why scoliosis pain is burning?

I have never had scoliosis surgery. My pain is in my lumbar area on the Right [the concave area of my scoliosis]. It is intense burning pain all along my side [lateral area]. Why is the pain burning? That just seems strange. I could understand it if it was a pulling feeling, but it is a burning sensation. Thoughts?
    Susan
    Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
    2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
    2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
    2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
    2018: Removal L4,5 screw
    2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Could be inflammation Susan which can feel a little like that. Just a thought if it continues I would get a doctor's advice. All the best,

Lorraine
    Operated on in 1966, harrington rods inserted from T4 to L3, here in Australia. Fusion of the said vertebrae as well. Problems for the last 14 years with pain.
    Something I feel deeply,"Life is like money,you can spend it anyway you wish, but can only spend it once.

Comment

Could it be a pinched nerve? I've had all sorts of weird pains with my scoliosis. It could also be the onset of Shingles. Have you checked your skin? I would definitely go back to the doctor if it continues. I hope it goes away and you feel better!
      Be happy!
      We don't know what tomorrow brings,
      but we are alive today!

Comment

Originally posted by rohrer01 View Post
        Could it be a pinched nerve? I've had all sorts of weird pains with my scoliosis. It could also be the onset of Shingles. Have you checked your skin? I would definitely go back to the doctor if it continues. I hope it goes away and you feel better!
        Thanks! No shingles....I never thought to ask other people to describe their pain, but mine has always been a burning pain. Just seems strange to me.
        Susan
        Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection

Comment

Lactic acid?

Originally posted by susancook View Post
          I have never had scoliosis surgery. My pain is in my lumbar area on the Right [the concave area of my scoliosis]. It is intense burning pain all along my side [lateral area]. Why is the pain burning? That just seems strange. I could understand it if it was a pulling feeling, but it is a burning sensation. Thoughts?
          Susan
          Hi Susan,

I remember asking my dr. about this when my back starting hurting so much with standing or walking. She gave me some print outs to read. When muscles burn, it's because of a build up of lactic acid. It happens to people when they exercise/work out, but it also happens when muscles are injured from overuse, and I think that's what happens to us. Basically, it's the body's defense mechanism, trying to protect itself from injury. (The body is also trying to protect itself in that same way when we get muscle spasms, BTW.)

My pain is the same as yours, on the right side, because of my curve. I think our paraspinal muscles on the right side are constantly being overworked, just in trying to keep us upright and straight when we stand and walk, etc. And the "cure" for this burning muscle pain is to let those overworked muscles rest, which we can never really do because of the curve.

I sometimes wonder, if we were to ignore this pain (as if that's even possible!) and keep going, through the pain, would it get to the point where we would cause ourselves to have a stress fracture or other serious injury?

Lisa

Comment

Originally posted by SpineTime View Post
            Hi Susan,

I remember asking my dr. about this when my back starting hurting so much with standing or walking. She gave me some print outs to read. When muscles burn, it's because of a build up of lactic acid. It happens to people when they exercise/work out, but it also happens when muscles are injured from overuse, and I think that's what happens to us. Basically, it's the body's defense mechanism, trying to protect itself from injury. (The body is also trying to protect itself in that same way when we get muscle spasms, BTW.)

My pain is the same as yours, on the right side, because of my curve. I think our paraspinal muscles on the right side are constantly being overworked, just in trying to keep us upright and straight when we stand and walk, etc. And the "cure" for this burning muscle pain is to let those overworked muscles rest, which we can never really do because of the curve.

I sometimes wonder, if we were to ignore this pain (as if that's even possible!) and keep going, through the pain, would it get to the point where we would cause ourselves to have a stress fracture or other serious injury?

Lisa
            Thanks for the info on the buildup of lactic acid. I'm thinking that maybe the muscles could rest by bending to the Left? It's not that simple, I think. I was reading some info last night on the internet on why scoliosis causes pain.

The spine is strong enough to stand the pull of the muscles...it just would hurt more with time. So, the pull would not cause the spine to break. I have tried to "ignore the pain" and find that if I can really get relaxed and take some deep breaths it is a little bit less, but just a little bit.

Again, thanks for the insight. It also helps to know that someone else is feeling the same way as I do. Susan

Comment

Burning Pain

Hi Susan, I have a 87 degree thoracolumbar curve (was 116 prior to fusion, I have lost some correction over the years) The concave side (left) has burned off and on over the years. For myself I have discovered doing stretches on the left side alleviates the burning. I'm not sure how you'd stretch just one side of the lower back. For me the relief is immediate.
              Roxanne
              Roxanne
              Milwaukee Brace 2 years
              Fused 1976
              Fusion Repair 1979

Comment

Originally posted by Roxanne1979 View Post
                Hi Susan, I have a 87 degree thoracolumbar curve (was 116 prior to fusion, I have lost some correction over the years) The concave side (left) has burned off and on over the years. For myself I have discovered doing stretches on the left side alleviates the burning. I'm not sure how you'd stretch just one side of the lower back. For me the relief is immediate.
                Roxanne
                Thanks. How exactly do you do the stretches? Like arm over your head and lean to the side and then straighten and repeat? I'll try that and see if it helps.
                Susan

Comment

Hi Susan,

I had an increasing amount of trouble with this type of burning pain similar to what you describe, prior to my original surgery. During the year prior to the surgery my lumbar curve increased from 30-35 degrees to 47 degrees, which may account for a lot of the pain. I found it helpful to lay on my side on the bed, with a pillow under the convex side of the curve, so it could hopefully stretch open some and it did feel good. I have an s-curve so I would do this both sides, laying across the pillow under the fulcrum of the curve if that makes sense.

Best of luck,
                  Gayle, age 50
                  Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
                  Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
                  Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
                  2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
                  2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

Comment

No leaning, I don't twist or lean since I'm fused. I reach for the top of the door molding with my left hand, I'm 5' 4' and can just barely touch it. If I'm at work i just reach up against a wall. I don't think this would help the lumbar. But the pillow exercise that Leahdragonfly describes sounds like it would work for the lumbar. I also do the kneeling lumbar flexion exercise, but it really stretches the whole lumbar.
                    Hope you find some relief.
                    Roxanne
                    Roxanne
                    Milwaukee Brace 2 years
                    Fused 1976
                    Fusion Repair 1979

Comment

Originally posted by leahdragonfly View Post
                      Hi Susan,

I had an increasing amount of trouble with this type of burning pain similar to what you describe, prior to my original surgery. During the year prior to the surgery my lumbar curve increased from 30-35 degrees to 47 degrees, which may account for a lot of the pain. I found it helpful to lay on my side on the bed, with a pillow under the convex side of the curve, so it could hopefully stretch open some and it did feel good. I have an s-curve so I would do this both sides, laying across the pillow under the fulcrum of the curve if that makes sense.

Best of luck,
                      Thanks I will try that!

Comment

Originally posted by Roxanne1979 View Post
                        No leaning, I don't twist or lean since I'm fused. I reach for the top of the door molding with my left hand, I'm 5' 4' and can just barely touch it. If I'm at work i just reach up against a wall. I don't think this would help the lumbar. But the pillow exercise that Leahdragonfly describes sounds like it would work for the lumbar. I also do the kneeling lumbar flexion exercise, but it really stretches the whole lumbar.
                        Hope you find some relief.
                        Roxanne
                        Sorry to be so dumb, but what is Kneeling lumbar flexion exercise? Susan

Comment

I tried to find a picture and instructions on line, but I could not find one exactly like what i do. I kneel on the floor with my palms on the floor, then keeping my hands stationary i slide the trunk of my body backwards onto my heels. For me it's a gentle stretch on the lumbar. All of the instructions on line do it differently, so perhaps I'm not doing it correctly, but it works for me.
                          Roxanne
                          Roxanne
                          Milwaukee Brace 2 years
                          Fused 1976
                          Fusion Repair 1979

Comment

Exercise ball!

One of my favorite ways to stretch is by using an exercise ball. In fact, this thread reminded me of it, so I just used it to stretch and thought "Why am I not doing this more often?!" I like to have the exercise ball underneath me, around the stomach/hip area, with my arms and legs out (almost like in a postion to do a push-up) then move my hips to the left, then to the right to stretch the back. It feels fantastic. I do have kind of small exercise ball, not one of the bigger ones, and I think it let's me stretch more than a bigger one would, but I don't know. The relief doesn't last, of course, but feels good while you do it.

Comment

Susan

I have one of these and it really works well at stretching the lower spine. A great lumbar stretch!
                              http://www.a3bs.com/Body-Arch-Tracti...034_12880.html

I used to lay on it prone and supine dead center, hanging both arms and legs. I didn’t lay on this sideways, but you could.

I also used an exercise ball for many years....

Pelvic tilts are good to do....
                              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pelvic_tilt

I don’t have an answer on pre-fusion burning....only that its probably nerve related. I had the burning in my recovery, but it eventually went away. Felt like a really bad sunburn around my hips and made sleeping that much harder.

Ed
                              49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                              Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                              ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                              Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Working...
                              X