PDA

View Full Version : Has anybody else been told to wear a bone growth stimulator since surgery?

mdtaffet
06-25-2012, 09:15 PM
I don't remember if I've asked this question before or not; I don't think I have.

Ever since the day after my first post-op visit (which was about 3 weeks after surgery), I've been told to wear a bone growth stimulator from Orthofix (http://us.orthofix.com/products/spine_spinalstim.asp?cid=37) for 4 hours every single day. I haven't been given an end date for this as of yet. I'm going to ask about it at my upcoming follow-up visit on July 5th, but was just curious if I'm the only one who has been prescribed a similar device to wear for several hours every day after surgery.

-- Mary

loves to skate
06-25-2012, 09:36 PM
Mary,

I wore the bone growth stimulator four hours a day for nine months. So far as I know, it helps older people to fuse. There are other threads on here about the bone growth stimulator. Just do a search and your should find them.

Sally

leahdragonfly
06-25-2012, 09:59 PM
Hi Mary,

I also have been wearing a bone growth stimulator since about 2 weeks post-op. Mine is by Biomet, and I wear it continuously except when I am showering or in the pool. I am now almost 5 months post-op major revision for pseudoarthrosis/broken rods. I will be checking with my surgeon at my 6 month appt if I need to still wear it.

On an interesting side note, I originally got a call from another bone stimulator company saying my surgeon had prescribed the device but that my share of the cost would be over $1600. (We have 70/30 coverage for durable medical equipment, so that is one expensive little device). I told my surgeon's office this was a hardship (especially while I was off work) and they arranged for me to have the Biomet for free under some compassionate access program. I hope this info may help others in the future to have access to more affordable medical equipment.

mdtaffet
06-25-2012, 11:22 PM
I originally got a call from another bone stimulator company saying my surgeon had prescribed the device but that my share of the cost would be over $1600. (We have 70/30 coverage for durable medical equipment, so that is one expensive little device).

Fortunately my insurance has coverage for durable medical equipment with no co-pay or deductible -- at least as far as I know, though I assume they probably negotiate with the vendors for favorable pricing. My husband works for the State of New York, so it is a statewide insurance plan (Empire Plan). It cost me nothing.

mabeckoff
06-26-2012, 12:10 AM
For both of my surgeries, I had to wear a bone growth simulator for 4 hours a day for about 6 months. My insurance covered it both times

mbeckett
06-30-2012, 09:48 PM
I, too, was given the choice to wear a bone stimulator. My surgeon said it was to help with the fusion. I wear mine a total of 4 hours a day. I do not do the whole 4 hours at one time. I break it up throughout the day. I am only 5 weeks post-op and do not know right now how many months I have to wear it.

Marjorie