Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feeling short of breath, Chest tightness

Hello!

I am back to work full time for the last 2 months ( Surgery back in Feb). For the last few months, I noticed that it is hard for me to talk after a few minutes and I feel like I cant get enough air. However, I do have scar tissue around my vocal from being intubated after surgery, I wonder if it is any concern that I cant breath "enough" and talk at the same time. I have been having a lot of "pinging" sharp pains in the right front part of my chest. I figured that this was normal since my body is re positioning? I have so much going on, I dont know if they are related or not or if I should be concerned. At times I feel like I am going to pass out when I present at work ( I am an Admissions Counselor) because I cant talk and breath at the same time. I am practically gasping for air and I get dizzy. Has anyone experienced anything like this?
    Thoracic curve approx 62 degrees,
    Lower curve of approx 38 degrees
    27 years old
    http://pennstatehershey.org/findaprovider/provider/1507
    Scheduled for Spinal Fusion 2/2/2012
    T2-L2 or L3
    Engaged to be married on 4.6.2013!

Hi Rox - That's got to be a little scary for you - definitely go get checked out as soon as possible to find out if it's tied to surgery, or bronchitis/allergies/etc. While you were in the hospital, did they give you the plastic lung exerciser - you blow into it to build up lungs, it measures lung capacity, etc? Jacob had used his for a couple months after surgery then stopped, but out of the blue last month he was having a hard time breathing w some pain. He immediately started using it again, we started up his allergy meds as a precaution, and he was fine within days. Hope yours is resolved soon - but please have a dr check you out.
    Mom of 14yo son diagnosed Oct 2011
    Surgery 1/3/12 w Dr. Geof Cronen,
    Tampa General Hospital T3 to L1
    Jacob's pre surg curves: T58 & L31 12/28/11
    photos & xrays in "First-Time Surgery" thread "Before & After"

Comment

Do you feel anxious, have you ever had panic attacks? It could be stress or it could be something more serious. I think it's well worthwhile getting checked out. I was having breathless periods for years and put it down to stress/menopausal but it turned out to be a thickened heart muscle (hypertrophic cardimyopathy, a condition that's not particularly rare.) If I'd got onto it years ago, it might not have progressed as much as it has. It's now controlled with beta blockers.
      Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
      Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
      T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
      Osteotomies and Laminectomies
      Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

I agree with what the others said, and that you should get it checked. I just wondered if you are off pain meds? Sometimes meds (and/or reducing meds) messes with my breathing a little. Also, could you be anemic? I was short of breath at my post-op appt and Dr. Lenke attributed it to anemia from the blood loss.

Best,
        Evelyn
        age 48
        80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
        Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
        Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
        Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
        Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

Originally posted by Confusedmom View Post
          I agree with what the others said, and that you should get it checked. I just wondered if you are off pain meds? Sometimes meds (and/or reducing meds) messes with my breathing a little. Also, could you be anemic? I was short of breath at my post-op appt and Dr. Lenke attributed it to anemia from the blood loss.

Best,
          Evelyn

Thank you all for the feedback. The last time I had blood test which was April, I was slightly anemic. I have been off pain meds since the end of March. I don't have anxiety or feel panicky. My chest tightens when I talk for for a few minutes, its like I have to gasp for air between each word. Then I get light headed and feel dizzy due to lack of oxygen. I wonder if my vocal granalomas are causing it or if its lung related. My lungs were very week after surgery. I still have my breathing exerciser tube thing, so ill start using it and see if that changes anything.....
          Thoracic curve approx 62 degrees,
          Lower curve of approx 38 degrees
          27 years old
          http://pennstatehershey.org/findaprovider/provider/1507
          Scheduled for Spinal Fusion 2/2/2012
          T2-L2 or L3
          Engaged to be married on 4.6.2013!

Comment

Originally posted by Roxjanine View Post
            Thank you all for the feedback. The last time I had blood test which was April, I was slightly anemic. I have been off pain meds since the end of March. I don't have anxiety or feel panicky. My chest tightens when I talk for for a few minutes, its like I have to gasp for air between each word. Then I get light headed and feel dizzy due to lack of oxygen. I wonder if my vocal granalomas are causing it or if its lung related. My lungs were very week after surgery. I still have my breathing exerciser tube thing, so ill start using it and see if that changes anything.....
            Hi Rox

Hope you get it sorted soon. I'd definately get checked out and start using your breathing tube again. After my first surgery my lungs were weak so I was gasping, I just had to keep up my exercises. I've also been anemic in the past and this has caused me dizzyness so maybe a combination of both is making you feel like this.

Keep us updated

Jenna x
            27 yr old Female.
            Scoliosis since 12yrs, fusion to lower curve in 1998, costioplast 2001 and further corrective surgery 26 July 2012.
            Now the proud owner of a very straight spine. T1- L5 fusion.
            Mr Dunsmuir, Orthopaedic Surgeon, LGI Leeds.

Comment

Please, definitely get your heart checked out. You don't want to miss something there by attributing it to your surgery. Not to scare you but you can develop blood clots from long surgeries. So, please go to the doctor ASAP. I would even consider the ER if you are having another episode.
              Be happy!
              We don't know what tomorrow brings,
              but we are alive today!

Comment

I agree with Rohrer. And get a chest xray as it could also be a clot in your lung or fluid around your lungs (though unlikely).

For a little reassurance, I do get minor "pings" as you say near my sternum on both sides. In the hospital I thought I was having a heart attack. They checked it out, and I wasn't. Dr. Lenke said it was probably a combo of the positioning during surgery, which put pressure on my chest, and re-positioning of my ribs. It still happens from time to time.

Please keep us posted!
                age 48
                80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
                Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
                Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
                Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
                Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

i had fluid in my lungs, and that was the same feeling...taking deep breaths and feeling like i couldnt get enuf
                  oxygen in my lungs...
                  chest X ray can find it...
                  i think you should call the doctor's office, tell them what
                  is going on, and see what they want you to do...

jess

Comment

Breathing issues

A pulmonologist (lung doctor) is really the best choice with breathing problems. They will test your breathing right there and give you an answer pretty quickly. I do NOT think it is related to surgery this late.

I have reactive airway disease. I had it before my surgery but never diagnosed. We looked back at my pre-op pulmonary tests and saw it.This means I got those same symptoms as you in response to :smoke, pollen, mold, stress and maybe some foods/meds. This is separate from restrictive lungs from scoliosis. It doesn't help.
                    I was given inhalers but I got a lot of help with Buteyko breathing-with the blessing of my pulmonologist. I am slowly weaning off inhalers and learned how to stop those symptoms. Panic often results from that feeling.

Not eveything is caused by scoliosis surgery but self diagnosing on the forum is not recommended. We can only share what helped us.
                    Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
                    Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

definitely go get it checked, to me it kind of sounds like athsma. I don't have 'normal' athsma, but I've had athsmatic bronchitis, and when I did I would get short of breath while speaking.

Good luck,

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
                      Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
                      Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
                      Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
                      Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Working...
                      X