View Full Version : 504 question...

06-11-2012, 01:05 PM
Yesterday i was browsing through old posts and notice several people have 504s made up for their child with scoliosis. I would never have thought to do this. My question is at what point did you decide the 504 was needed? Did you do it at diagnosis or did you wait until bracing or surgery was necessary. If you have a 504 can you please tell me what accommodations you have in it, in regards to the scoliosis. I wouldn't even know what to include in my daughter's. Ashleigh already has a 504 plan in place with the school, since she has Type 1 (juvenile) diabetes. We would just need to add the scoliosis accommodation to the plan.

Chris mom to 4 daughters
Ashleigh-13 diagnosed Type 1 diabetes, and scoliosis
3 curves largest curve 55 degrees

06-11-2012, 03:50 PM
it might help to think about what your daughter does
during the school day, what expectations the school has...
does she have phys ed...? what physical activities will the
doctor not allow her to do...??
does she move between classes....? if so, does she need extra
time to get from one place to another?
is she to refrain from all sports, or just contact sports...?

might help to discuss it with her doctor first...he can also
write a letter to the school for you.


06-11-2012, 05:50 PM
Curious as to what a 504 is...

06-15-2012, 07:38 PM
A child can receive accommodations without a 504 or IEP, but they help both the child and the school by spelling out what will be done by whom and when (frequency or triggering event). Jess is right, you consider the things your child does throughout the day and then how scoliosis impacts those actions. If there is a weight limit she is allowed to lift then she may need a second set of texts at home so she doesn't have to carry them back and forth, she might go to the health room to use that bathroom to get help tightening her brace straps (it also allows her more privacy during this action), or aerobic/ endurance related restrictions. A note from the doctor supporting any verbal statements made during a visit can be very helpful. If there is no impact at this time, then you don't need to make any changes. That does not stop you from making changes when her condition changes.

Families have specific rights and responsibilities that change somewhat when the child reaches the age of five. At that time, the IFSP changes to an IPP. These laws apply in CA, but I am not aware of the laws/ requirements outside of CA. A 504 has one law behind it that requires schools to provide services as needed by the child. An IEP (Individualized Education Plan) has several laws behind it requiring schools to provide services as needed by the child. These laws require schools to provide children with physical and/ or mental special needs access to an education in the least restrictive environment. It can range from giving the child in a wheel chair or with CP etc. more time to get from one class to another class; providing audio books for a child who is blind or has low vision; providing an interpreter, FM system, or note taker for a deaf child; providing nursing care throughout the day; providing a "shadow" for a child with autism; or a combination of services to allow the child obtain FERPA. Schools may not charge the families for these services. The schools receive additional funds to pay for these services whether 10% of their population has special needs or not.

Some folks think this means the kids “get things handed to them on a silver platter” and state emphatically that “everyone should get the same thing.” These kids do not get anything “handed to them” and the reality is a 504 & IEP only allows children with extra challenges access to the same education everyone else gets. Believe me, schools do not provide a single service they are not required to provide by law.

At this time, my child does not require a 504. I know most of the staff and they would provide simple modifications without it, but I am also aware of many situations where that is not the case. These laws have been very helpful for families throughout the state of California.

A Mom

06-15-2012, 08:39 PM
all states have regulations to provide for what children with
special needs receive during their school day....their needs may be temporary or permanent...
putting it in writing is the safer way to prove what they are supposed to be
given or allowed....as a special ed teacher before i became a social worker in the public
schhols of NYC, , i wrote many an IEP...and saw many 504 papers written...
i also atttended many hearings after kids weren't given what the IEP said they needed....
parents can sue for private school if they can prove the public schools cannot meet the
needs of their child...

i would want things in writing just to be sure everything was clear.....
a letter from a doctor can get the ball rolling...just as it can end the
special provisions or services when they are no longer needed....

jess....& Sparky

07-27-2012, 03:35 PM
My daughter's case is not severe enough to warrant a 504. She simply has a note that she doesn't take PE.

Instead she wasted an hour each day in the library doing cross word puzzles on soccer terms. She wasn't even allowed to do her homework!

This year we are going to protest this. A complete and utter waste of time. But our state is a PE mandated state (as in every year through 12th) so we deal with the buffoonery.

07-27-2012, 09:25 PM
are you saying your doctor's ;letter is not good enuf to get her
to do something useful during PE hour....?

i do not understand how she is not in need of a 504 at least....
are there no other activities she is restricted from...?
have you talked to a lawyer about this issue....?
if not, i would recommend it....
doesn't matter if PE is mandated....if she can't do it, she can't do it....
per doctor orders....