leg weakness after surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• leg weakness after surgery

Hi all, I am 3 weeks post op and having right leg weakness. I think I have read in these posts that this is normal and will go away with pt and exercise. Also, how fast did you wean off medicine?

Pain Meds

Hi!

I didn't experience leg weakness but I was off meds by 7 weeks. Kind of had to due to going back to work and having to pick my daughter up from school (60 mile drive round trip daily). I'm glad I did. I really didn't need anything by that point.
    50 years old!!!!!
    Wore Milwaulkee Brace 1976-77
    Original curve 36 degrees ( measured in the 70s)
    Advanced to 61 degrees 01/2011
    Surgery 07/11/2011
    Fused T1-L2 (curve now in the 20s!)

Comment

Hi...

If the leg weakness is new, it should be reported to your surgeon's office.

Some people are off narcotics as early as 2 weeks post-op, while others take months or years. So, my advice is to start to wean off the drugs when you feel you're ready. If you don't have any significant pain when you're taking a full dose, skipping a dose, or cutting a dose in half should quickly tell you whether you're ready. Also, try to cut back at a time when you're not increasing your activity.

Regards,
      Linda
      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Originally posted by rockycarm View Post
        Hi all, I am 3 weeks post op and having right leg weakness. I think I have read in these posts that this is normal and will go away with pt and exercise. Also, how fast did you wean off medicine?
        I also have right leg weakness after my surgery, which was back on January 23rd. The surgical explained that the weakness is most likely due to nerves which had been shortened now being lengthened due to my lumbar spine having been straightened out.

Before my surgery, my left leg was the problem due to neurogenic claudication, while my right leg was fine. Since the surgery, my left leg is fine but my right leg is weaker and also has a decreased ability for dorsiflexion (toe raises). The most immediate sensation I noticed right after the surgery was an incredible tingling sensation in my right foot -- pins and needles big time. I mentioned that to the surgeon right there in the recovery room. They tested my toes and my feet right then and there and found no generalized lack of sensation and no generalized lack of movement, so they didn't feel it was a problem that needed to be addressed right away.

Both legs are still very numb below the knees, but some sensation has returned to my toes.

The surgical fellow said it could take months for nerve-related problems to resolve, and that's apparently what my right-leg weakness is due to.

I weaned off my medications basically as soon as my dressing was removed; I no longer needed pain meds at that point other than to help me sleep at night. Surgery was 01/23, and the dressing was removed 02/09.

-- Mary
        -- Mary D. Taffet
        Lumbar curve 27 degrees in 07/2007 > 34 degrees in 03/2009 > 38 degrees in 02/2011 > 42 degrees in 09/2011
        Laminectomy L2-L5, Fusion T9-S1 (sacrum) with pelvic fixation 01/23/2012 w/ Dr. Richard Tallarico, Upstate Orthopedics, Syracuse, NY

Comment

Working...
        X