california doctors??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• california doctors??

can someone recommend a california doctor for me? i am 19 & also considering surgery since i have severe scoliosis. I checked out the list of doctors in srs.org and they gave me 45 names. Which one's the best? I'm from the Philippines so when I go there I want to directly go to the best. And do you know anyone who was treated by the same doctor? how was the experience? And the cost of everything?

Hi...

I would recommend any of the doctors at UCSF (David Bradford, Serena Hu, Sigurd Berven, & Vedat Deviren). They frequently see patients from outside of the U.S. I can put you in touch with a few patients once you decide which doctor to see.

Scoliosis surgery is not inexpensive. I'm guessing that currently it would cost in the neighborhood of $200,000 for an uncomplicated surgery and one week if the hospital.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

I'm in Southern California and I'm not sure where in california you are planning to come to but the doctors that I have seen and have liked are Dr Wenger at Children's Hospital and Dr. Akbarnia from the San Diego Center for Spinal Disorders. Good luck in your search.
      Jennifer

26 years old. Diagnosed with severe Scoliosis/Kyphosis and CMT at the age of 8. Have had a total of 6 surgeries, 4 on my spine and 2 on both of my feet. Including rod removal surgery. I am fused from T-2 to T-12.

Comment

Hi,

I am also in the So. Cal area - San Diego, and first saw a Dr Westerlund - I found him to be very 'personable'. I was advised to go for a second opinion, and was told by some Orthopedic Surgeons in Ann Arbor and St Louis who saw my X-rays, to see a Dr Garfin in San Diego. He is associated with UCSD and has a very good reputation.

I'd be happy to provide more information if you want.

Comment

yup , just the whole cost of everything. Is it really $200,000? That's like, 11 million pesos here.

Comment

spndrift

I saw that you are from the San Diego area, I just wanted to make sure that you had seen a previous post of mine reguarding the Scoliosis support group. It would be great if you would come. If you've already seen it, sorry for repeating myself :-P
            Jennifer

26 years old. Diagnosed with severe Scoliosis/Kyphosis and CMT at the age of 8. Have had a total of 6 surgeries, 4 on my spine and 2 on both of my feet. Including rod removal surgery. I am fused from T-2 to T-12.

Comment

Working...
            X