PDA

View Full Version : california doctors??

pink_lady
01-17-2005, 06:37 AM
can someone recommend a california doctor for me? i am 19 & also considering surgery since i have severe scoliosis. I checked out the list of doctors in srs.org and they gave me 45 names. Which one's the best? I'm from the Philippines so when I go there I want to directly go to the best. And do you know anyone who was treated by the same doctor? how was the experience? And the cost of everything?

LindaRacine
01-17-2005, 01:06 PM
Hi...

I would recommend any of the doctors at UCSF (David Bradford, Serena Hu, Sigurd Berven, & Vedat Deviren). They frequently see patients from outside of the U.S. I can put you in touch with a few patients once you decide which doctor to see.

Scoliosis surgery is not inexpensive. I'm guessing that currently it would cost in the neighborhood of $200,000 for an uncomplicated surgery and one week if the hospital.

Regards,
Linda

Littleone1016
01-18-2005, 01:37 AM
I'm in Southern California and I'm not sure where in california you are planning to come to but the doctors that I have seen and have liked are Dr Wenger at Children's Hospital and Dr. Akbarnia from the San Diego Center for Spinal Disorders. Good luck in your search.

spndrift
01-18-2005, 10:26 AM
Hi,

I am also in the So. Cal area - San Diego, and first saw a Dr Westerlund - I found him to be very 'personable'. I was advised to go for a second opinion, and was told by some Orthopedic Surgeons in Ann Arbor and St Louis who saw my X-rays, to see a Dr Garfin in San Diego. He is associated with UCSD and has a very good reputation.

I'd be happy to provide more information if you want.

pink_lady
01-19-2005, 09:38 AM
yup , just the whole cost of everything. Is it really $200,000? That's like, 11 million pesos here.:)

Littleone1016
01-19-2005, 02:20 PM
I saw that you are from the San Diego area, I just wanted to make sure that you had seen a previous post of mine reguarding the Scoliosis support group. It would be great if you would come. If you've already seen it, sorry for repeating myself :-P