Tried out a Sleep Number bed on Saturday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tried out a Sleep Number bed on Saturday

When I was at the mall on Saturday, I tried out several different models of the Sleep Number bed. I tried a c3, a p5, and an m7. The p5 and m7 were on adjustable bases. While the discomfort I feel when lying on my back didn't disappear, it seemed to feel more comfortable on the m7 (their new memory foam model).

I know some others on the board own a Sleep Number bed. Those of you who do, and find your bed to be comfortable after surgery -- which model do you own?

As I'm not making a lot of money working part-time right now, I don't know that I could afford the expense of getting an adjustable base plus the memory foam model. So, I'm considering the idea of ordering their memory foam mattress topper to put over my existing bed (a Simmons BeautyRest). Unfortunately, the smallest mattress topper they sell is extra long twin; as my existing bed is a regular twin, the mattress topper that they sell would be too long.

On another note, the smallest size that the m7 comes in is also extra long twin. If I got one of those, my bed would be not only slightly higher but also slightly longer than my husband's twin.

-- Mary
    -- Mary D. Taffet
    Lumbar curve 27 degrees in 07/2007 > 34 degrees in 03/2009 > 38 degrees in 02/2011 > 42 degrees in 09/2011
    Laminectomy L2-L5, Fusion T9-S1 (sacrum) with pelvic fixation 01/23/2012 w/ Dr. Richard Tallarico, Upstate Orthopedics, Syracuse, NY

I have been wondering about those beds myself. I would like to get a "king" that adjusts on both sides so that I can raise my side while hubby lays flat. I would want to know if it's worth the investment. On another note, you can get memory foam mattress covers from cheaper places, I'm sure. I bought a 2" foam topper at Sam's Club. It's nice, but not quite soft enough for me. I put it over a feather mattress topper and sometimes I switch it up and put the feathers on top of the memory foam. It's great either way! I just don't like getting stuck with feathers. LOL
    Be happy!
    We don't know what tomorrow brings,
    but we are alive today!

Comment

We purchased new beds for both my DH and myself at the beginning of this year. We both have extra long twins. My husbands just lies flat while mine is on adjustable base. It also massages and it is wonderful.When ever my pain gets too bad , during the day, I l will lie down on it. It is great. The massage is on a 30 minute timer so i will turn off once I am asleep. I love it
      Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

Originally posted by mabeckoff View Post
        We purchased new beds for both my DH and myself at the beginning of this year. We both have extra long twins. My husbands just lies flat while mine is on adjustable base. It also massages and it is wonderful.When ever my pain gets too bad , during the day, I l will lie down on it. It is great. The massage is on a 30 minute timer so i will turn off once I am asleep. I love it
        Melissa,

Which model mattress did you buy?

-- Thanks,
        Mary
        -- Mary D. Taffet
        Lumbar curve 27 degrees in 07/2007 > 34 degrees in 03/2009 > 38 degrees in 02/2011 > 42 degrees in 09/2011
        Laminectomy L2-L5, Fusion T9-S1 (sacrum) with pelvic fixation 01/23/2012 w/ Dr. Richard Tallarico, Upstate Orthopedics, Syracuse, NY

Comment

I had a Sleep number bed way before I even considered surgery. It did not help pre-op night pain. I found memory foam too hot. I bought "egg crate foam" from a surgical supply store with good results.
          Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
          Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

I just got the split king with the adjustable bases. But we got the Serta iComfort Revolution. It is the most comfortable place for me in the house, post-op. I don't raise my head, but I often raise my knees a little and use the massage feature. The mattress is a dense memory foam (knock off of Tempurpedic). I recommend them both, but if I could have one and not the other I would choose the mattress without the adjustable base. It is heaven for sore backs! There are tons of reviews on www.sleeplikethedead.com. Good luck!
            age 48
            80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
            Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
            Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
            Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
            Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

Originally posted by Karen Ocker View Post
              I had a Sleep number bed way before I even considered surgery. It did not help pre-op night pain. I found memory foam too hot. I bought "egg crate foam" from a surgical supply store with good results.
              Karen,

The new m7 has memory foam that has "cooling gel", so is not supposed to get hot. Or at least that's what it says anyway.

-- Mary
              -- Mary D. Taffet

Comment

I purchased the most expensive SleepNumber bed almost 4 years ago. It has a memory foam topper. It's been very comfortable.
                Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

I have a water bed for the past 20 years, not the same one of course, and I have found these just wonderful. My humpy bit which is still a little sinks into it and the warmth of the bed helps a lot.

Lorraine.
                  Operated on in 1966, harrington rods inserted from T4 to L3, here in Australia. Fusion of the said vertebrae as well. Problems for the last 14 years with pain.
                  Something I feel deeply,"Life is like money,you can spend it anyway you wish, but can only spend it once.

Comment

We also purchased the split king with adjustable bases. The model we bought had 1.5 inches of memory foam. After they were installed, I purchased two inch memory foam topper (density of 3.0--for light weight people) and it worked out well. The models with 3-5 inches of memory foam built into the Sleep Number beds were quite a bit more expensive. Seemed economical to purchase my extra "foam" separately.
                    Discovered scoliosis when 15 years old.
                    Wore Milwaulkee Brace for 1.5 years.
                    Top curve 85 degrees, bottom curve 60 degrees

Surgery completed August 23, 2011 (during an earthquake, can you believe that?)
                    Dr. Charles Edwards, II
                    The Spine Center at Mercy Hospital in Baltimore, MD
                    Before and after xrays:
                    http://www.valley-designs.com/myspine

Comment

Originally posted by djkinkead View Post
                      I purchased two inch memory foam topper (density of 3.0--for light weight people) and it worked out well. The models with 3-5 inches of memory foam built into the Sleep Number beds were quite a bit more expensive. Seemed economical to purchase my extra "foam" separately.
                      Due to my current financial situation, I'm planning initially to try a mattress topper on my current mattress to see if it will help. I probably would have been better off not replacing my previous mattress the week before surgery; it didn't arrive until I was already in the hospital, so I have no way of knowing if it would have even been comfortable to sleep on without the surgery. I replaced my previous mattress because I felt it was too soft; I wanted a firmer mattress closer to what my husband has. When I got the plush, he got the plush firm and over time I began to like the feel of his more than mine. But in hindsight, I might have been better off just keeping the old one, as right now the softer mattress would probably feel a bit more comfortable. I still don't like the way I sank in on the edge of my old mattress when just sitting on the bed, but I probably could have managed.

Instead, I'll be going by Bed, Bath & Beyond as soon as I get a chance and trying to find a good mattress topper there.

Then later once I've gone back to work full-time (I'm still part-time right now, and earning less even than I got while on disability), and then feel like I can afford it, I'll probably get a Sleep number bed then -- unless I decide that a Latex mattress would be better at that point.

The Sleep Number website indicates that they sell a mattress topper themselves, but as they only have it in Twin XL as opposed to Twin (my current mattress is a twin), it would probably be too big for my bed. And I doubt that the store at the local mall would carry them in their store.

I just hope I can find a topper that will be both comfortable and not too hot once I'm already asleep.

-- Mary
                      -- Mary D. Taffet

Comment

I almost hate to mention this, but Wal-Mart carries both memory foam mattresses AND toppers. For economical reasons, I bought my memory foam mattress there. It came in a regular twin. It is actually regular foam with, I think, three inches of memory foam. It's a little firm for me, so I put an egg crate on there (also purchased from Wal-Mart). The memory foam is warmer and the longer you lay in one spot the more you tend to sink in. I don't mind the heat on my back, in fact I LOVE it! It helps with muscle spasms. I also put a heated mattress cover on it to boot! LOL... I'm very cold a LOT, though. Being thin has its drawbacks. You might consider checking it out if it's just a mattress you are looking for. Mine cost about $200 when all was said and done. I put the mattress on a Craftmatic Adjustable Bed frame. I have no problems raising the head and feet. It also has the massage feature. It shuts off after 30 minutes, though. I hate that! It wakes me up when it shuts off and then I find myself turning it back on all night long! The vibrations are a discraction from pain. But, oddly, if I set it on high, it increases my pain exponentially. So I just run it on low and imagine I'm on a long road trip. =) (I'm a car sleeper on roadtrips!)
                        Be happy!
                        but we are alive today!

Comment

Hi Mary,

I would also recommend overstock.com for a foam topper. I got a 2" king foam topper there for about $50-60 (even had free or cheap shipping), and at Bed Bath and Beyond it would have been closer to $200. I was short on cash too, but figured even if it didn't last forever I could get two replacements for the original price of one at Bed Bath and Beyond. So far it is just fine.
                          Gayle, age 50
                          Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
                          Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
                          Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
                          2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
                          2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

Comment

Mary,

I tried a memory foam mattress topper from overstock.com and didn't like it because I couldn't roll over on it. Last year, we bought a latex foam bed (Sealy) and I love it.
                            Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
                            Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
                            Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
                            Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
                            New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
                            Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Originally posted by loves to skate View Post
                              Mary,

I tried a memory foam mattress topper from overstock.com and didn't like it because I couldn't roll over on it. Last year, we bought a latex foam bed (Sealy) and I love it.
                              Is that the squishy mattress type that you are starting to see in hospitals? I never knew where to even look for that kind of mattress. It may seem odd to some, but I also find those very comfortable. But then again, I like a REALLY soft bed.
                              Be happy!
                              but we are alive today!

Comment

Working...
                              X