PDA

View Full Version : Tried out a Sleep Number bed on Saturday

mdtaffet
06-04-2012, 01:27 AM
When I was at the mall on Saturday, I tried out several different models of the Sleep Number bed. I tried a c3, a p5, and an m7. The p5 and m7 were on adjustable bases. While the discomfort I feel when lying on my back didn't disappear, it seemed to feel more comfortable on the m7 (their new memory foam model).

I know some others on the board own a Sleep Number bed. Those of you who do, and find your bed to be comfortable after surgery -- which model do you own?

As I'm not making a lot of money working part-time right now, I don't know that I could afford the expense of getting an adjustable base plus the memory foam model. So, I'm considering the idea of ordering their memory foam mattress topper to put over my existing bed (a Simmons BeautyRest). Unfortunately, the smallest mattress topper they sell is extra long twin; as my existing bed is a regular twin, the mattress topper that they sell would be too long.

On another note, the smallest size that the m7 comes in is also extra long twin. If I got one of those, my bed would be not only slightly higher but also slightly longer than my husband's twin.

-- Mary

rohrer01
06-04-2012, 01:54 AM
I have been wondering about those beds myself. I would like to get a "king" that adjusts on both sides so that I can raise my side while hubby lays flat. I would want to know if it's worth the investment. On another note, you can get memory foam mattress covers from cheaper places, I'm sure. I bought a 2" foam topper at Sam's Club. It's nice, but not quite soft enough for me. I put it over a feather mattress topper and sometimes I switch it up and put the feathers on top of the memory foam. It's great either way! I just don't like getting stuck with feathers. LOL

mabeckoff
06-04-2012, 08:50 AM
We purchased new beds for both my DH and myself at the beginning of this year. We both have extra long twins. My husbands just lies flat while mine is on adjustable base. It also massages and it is wonderful.When ever my pain gets too bad , during the day, I l will lie down on it. It is great. The massage is on a 30 minute timer so i will turn off once I am asleep. I love it

mdtaffet
06-04-2012, 11:56 AM
We purchased new beds for both my DH and myself at the beginning of this year. We both have extra long twins. My husbands just lies flat while mine is on adjustable base. It also massages and it is wonderful.When ever my pain gets too bad , during the day, I l will lie down on it. It is great. The massage is on a 30 minute timer so i will turn off once I am asleep. I love it

Melissa,

Which model mattress did you buy?

-- Thanks,
Mary

Karen Ocker
06-04-2012, 06:15 PM
I had a Sleep number bed way before I even considered surgery. It did not help pre-op night pain. I found memory foam too hot. I bought "egg crate foam" from a surgical supply store with good results.

Confusedmom
06-04-2012, 06:40 PM
I just got the split king with the adjustable bases. But we got the Serta iComfort Revolution. It is the most comfortable place for me in the house, post-op. I don't raise my head, but I often raise my knees a little and use the massage feature. The mattress is a dense memory foam (knock off of Tempurpedic). I recommend them both, but if I could have one and not the other I would choose the mattress without the adjustable base. It is heaven for sore backs! There are tons of reviews on www.sleeplikethedead.com. Good luck!

mdtaffet
06-04-2012, 08:15 PM
I had a Sleep number bed way before I even considered surgery. It did not help pre-op night pain. I found memory foam too hot. I bought "egg crate foam" from a surgical supply store with good results.

Karen,

The new m7 has memory foam that has "cooling gel", so is not supposed to get hot. Or at least that's what it says anyway.

-- Mary

LindaRacine
06-05-2012, 12:39 AM
I purchased the most expensive SleepNumber bed almost 4 years ago. It has a memory foam topper. It's been very comfortable.

Lorraine 1966
06-05-2012, 03:58 AM
I have a water bed for the past 20 years, not the same one of course, and I have found these just wonderful. My humpy bit which is still a little sinks into it and the warmth of the bed helps a lot.

Lorraine.

djkinkead
06-11-2012, 09:32 PM
We also purchased the split king with adjustable bases. The model we bought had 1.5 inches of memory foam. After they were installed, I purchased two inch memory foam topper (density of 3.0--for light weight people) and it worked out well. The models with 3-5 inches of memory foam built into the Sleep Number beds were quite a bit more expensive. Seemed economical to purchase my extra "foam" separately.

mdtaffet
06-11-2012, 09:54 PM
I purchased two inch memory foam topper (density of 3.0--for light weight people) and it worked out well. The models with 3-5 inches of memory foam built into the Sleep Number beds were quite a bit more expensive. Seemed economical to purchase my extra "foam" separately.

Due to my current financial situation, I'm planning initially to try a mattress topper on my current mattress to see if it will help. I probably would have been better off not replacing my previous mattress the week before surgery; it didn't arrive until I was already in the hospital, so I have no way of knowing if it would have even been comfortable to sleep on without the surgery. I replaced my previous mattress because I felt it was too soft; I wanted a firmer mattress closer to what my husband has. When I got the plush, he got the plush firm and over time I began to like the feel of his more than mine. But in hindsight, I might have been better off just keeping the old one, as right now the softer mattress would probably feel a bit more comfortable. I still don't like the way I sank in on the edge of my old mattress when just sitting on the bed, but I probably could have managed.

Instead, I'll be going by Bed, Bath & Beyond as soon as I get a chance and trying to find a good mattress topper there.

Then later once I've gone back to work full-time (I'm still part-time right now, and earning less even than I got while on disability), and then feel like I can afford it, I'll probably get a Sleep number bed then -- unless I decide that a Latex mattress would be better at that point.

The Sleep Number website indicates that they sell a mattress topper themselves, but as they only have it in Twin XL as opposed to Twin (my current mattress is a twin), it would probably be too big for my bed. And I doubt that the store at the local mall would carry them in their store.

I just hope I can find a topper that will be both comfortable and not too hot once I'm already asleep.

-- Mary

rohrer01
06-12-2012, 01:42 AM
I almost hate to mention this, but Wal-Mart carries both memory foam mattresses AND toppers. For economical reasons, I bought my memory foam mattress there. It came in a regular twin. It is actually regular foam with, I think, three inches of memory foam. It's a little firm for me, so I put an egg crate on there (also purchased from Wal-Mart). The memory foam is warmer and the longer you lay in one spot the more you tend to sink in. I don't mind the heat on my back, in fact I LOVE it! It helps with muscle spasms. I also put a heated mattress cover on it to boot! LOL... I'm very cold a LOT, though. Being thin has its drawbacks. You might consider checking it out if it's just a mattress you are looking for. Mine cost about $200 when all was said and done. I put the mattress on a Craftmatic Adjustable Bed frame. I have no problems raising the head and feet. It also has the massage feature. It shuts off after 30 minutes, though. I hate that! It wakes me up when it shuts off and then I find myself turning it back on all night long! The vibrations are a discraction from pain. But, oddly, if I set it on high, it increases my pain exponentially. So I just run it on low and imagine I'm on a long road trip. =) (I'm a car sleeper on roadtrips!)

leahdragonfly
06-12-2012, 09:23 AM
Hi Mary,

I would also recommend overstock.com for a foam topper. I got a 2" king foam topper there for about $50-60 (even had free or cheap shipping), and at Bed Bath and Beyond it would have been closer to $200. I was short on cash too, but figured even if it didn't last forever I could get two replacements for the original price of one at Bed Bath and Beyond. So far it is just fine.

loves to skate
06-12-2012, 09:53 AM
Mary,

I tried a memory foam mattress topper from overstock.com and didn't like it because I couldn't roll over on it. Last year, we bought a latex foam bed (Sealy) and I love it.

rohrer01
06-12-2012, 11:40 AM
Mary,

I tried a memory foam mattress topper from overstock.com and didn't like it because I couldn't roll over on it. Last year, we bought a latex foam bed (Sealy) and I love it.

Is that the squishy mattress type that you are starting to see in hospitals? I never knew where to even look for that kind of mattress. It may seem odd to some, but I also find those very comfortable. But then again, I like a REALLY soft bed.

jrnyc
06-12-2012, 01:36 PM
type in "latex mattresses" on internet...
info is all over...

when i was a kid, i had some kind of foam rubber mattress...
i loved it...still buy foam rubber pillows.....
but it wasn't squishy...i do not like memory foam stuff....
maybe cause my body is so crooked, if i sink in with my body
shape, i just feel even more crooked, for some reason...
i like the matttess to have it's own shape....
also, i have a friend who got a tempur pedic...but she doesnt
like it...said it is showing permanent body indentations that
do not go away...she has had it for 3 years...

i like soft mattresses, too...always have...even though
i know firm is supposed to be better for the spine...

jess

loves to skate
06-13-2012, 08:36 PM
type in "latex mattresses" on internet...
info is all over...

i like soft mattresses, too...always have...even though
i know firm is supposed to be better for the spine...

jess

Jess, I think that the old recommendation for a mattress was a firm mattress for the spine. I really disagree with that and was told by a Physical Therapist that you need a mattress that conforms to your spine so that the entire spine is supported. If I sleep on a firm mattress, I wake up with the worst backache. So I really love the latex because it is soft but supportive and it is much cooler than memory foam. It does dish to a small degree, but I think it is because I have wide hips and a narrow torso.

Sally

jrnyc
06-13-2012, 09:20 PM
thanks for the info, Sally...
good to know firm mattresses may no longer
be recommended exclusively....i had a firm mattress years
ago and never got a good night's sleep on it....
i think it is important to have something you are
comfortable on....

jess...& Sparky
(puppy prefers our softer mattress, too)...

djkinkead
06-13-2012, 10:04 PM
Before you go to a store to look or buy, get an education on memory foam densities. Even if you do a memory foam topper search on Ebay, most will provide an elementary education on the densities and what sort of weight they support. I am light, so I got a 3.0 density.

Something to ponder....

LSKOCH5
06-14-2012, 05:17 PM
Hi Mary,

I would also recommend overstock.com for a foam topper. I got a 2" king foam topper there for about $50-60 (even had free or cheap shipping), and at Bed Bath and Beyond it would have been closer to $200. I was short on cash too, but figured even if it didn't last forever I could get two replacements for the original price of one at Bed Bath and Beyond. So far it is just fine.

Overstock.com is where we got a great 3" queen & 3'' king mem foam topper for maybe $67 each + 2.95 shipping. The king we cut down for the long ride home from hospital & the first followup; we use the remainder on a daybed.

rohrer01
06-14-2012, 05:37 PM
Before you go to a store to look or buy, get an education on memory foam densities. Even if you do a memory foam topper search on Ebay, most will provide an elementary education on the densities and what sort of weight they support. I am light, so I got a 3.0 density.

Something to ponder....

This probably explains why I find my Wal-Mart memory foam mattress to be a little hard. It's okay with the egg crate topper, but really, I don't think they even make a bed as soft as I would like. LOL

Lorraine 1966
06-14-2012, 08:18 PM
I still think my water bed is up there with the most comfortable. I have the more stable mattress type and it is wonderful. When I had my back done it was said that we had to sleep on really hard beds, so while I had to wear my brace after the operation my grandfather put a door under my mattress and with the brace on that was brilliant. Then after I got married I could not sleep on a firm mattress any more so I got the first of my water beds and I could not go back now. I am alone though and have been for a long time so I only have myself and Jess, yes, Spike to please (everyone else he is my dog).

Lorraine

jrnyc
06-14-2012, 08:21 PM
hey Lorraine, sometimes Sparky will sleep on the floor,
other times he likes his own pillow on our bed, even though
he has 3 doggie beds of his own...
he is a funny boy, as i am sure Spike is as well....
wish i could sleep as easily as puppies can!

jess

Lorraine 1966
06-14-2012, 08:44 PM
Your Sparky is as spoilt as my Spike eh!! I have read the your curve is now 77, I am sorry Jess no wonder you are not sleeping too well,
You may have to start thinking about surgery honey even though I know you don't want it, but Jess you are getting to the stage where you may not have a choice. xx Really sorry'

Lorraine, Cuddles for Sparky.

jrnyc
06-14-2012, 09:21 PM
writing you PM, Lorraine...
nope...70 degrees, actually....

jess

mdtaffet
06-17-2012, 02:14 AM
I'm planning initially to try a mattress topper on my current mattress to see if it will help.

So I went to Bed, Bath & Beyond on my way home from an appointment on Wednesday afternoon. I bought two different memory foam mattress toppers. I bought a Temperpedic 3" Deluxe Quilted Memory Foam topper (http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=121630&RN=690&) and a Sheex Theragel Memory Foam topper (http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=202560&RN=690&). So far I've only tried the Temperpedic; I put it on top of my bed rather than under my sheet just to lie on it and see what it felt like. I was surprised to learn that my back actually hurt MORE with it on my bed than not. While it was OK if I was perfectly still in one position -- as long as that position was comfortable, I found it difficult to logroll from side to back to other side and back the way I do most nights. And I found it VERY difficult to readjust my position while on my back -- i.e. to move myself closer to the center of the mattress like I usually try to do (I have a twin bed). I usually readjust my position by pushing up on my elbows and hands and moving or sometimes slightly lifting my butt to readjust. The part about lifting my butt is slightly uncomfortable in any case, but on the mattress topper it was actually painful. I don't know why, because presumably that is something I should be able to do. Or at least the physical therapist once asked me to do a bridge, until she realized just how difficult that was for me.

I was also much more aware of the hardware in my lower spine with the mattress topper on there.

I haven't yet tried the Sheex topper, mostly because I realized that you have to put its cover on it before you can even try it out. I expect I'll be returning both items sometime within the next week -- though my son thinks he might be able to use one.

I can now see the utility of a Sleep number bed, where you can make the surface firm for logrolling and readjusting position, yet you can still go softer once you're already in position. I think that has real merit.

But unfortunately, I won't be allowed to get a Sleep number bed; my husband says the bedroom is too small to put a Twin XL in there. He would only allow me to do that if I first cleaned out an entire corner of the room and got rid of a desk that's stuffed back in that corner. And he thinks I'd be absolutely bonkers to spend that much on a bed; he feels that Sleep number is a "gimmick".

So it looks like once I have the money to do so, I'll have to find a different solution other than a Sleep number bed (I won't be able to clean out the bedroom anytime in the near future).

My other thought is to go the other direction and try a much thinner mattress topper -- something that would provide a bit more softness without providing so much logrolling resistance.

-- Mary