Relieving This Back Pain After Surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Relieving This Back Pain After Surgery

I had my surgery on May 25th, last Friday. Thank God it was a success. I was in the hospital for 4 days and released on Monday. I've been home since Tuesday. Currently I'm taking the pain killers: Oxycodone, Valium, and Tylenol. The pain is very intensive as I expected. I've also put IcyHot on some areas of the body that are giving me pain, making sure to avoid the incision. I'm 20 years old and I'm wondering if there is any tactics, ideas, or methods to help ease the pain. I will be very much appreciated with all answers. Thanks in advance.

Staying on top of the pain by taking your meds every 4 hours *or as directed. Too hard to catch up to the pain. Also, moving - son found that going out for a walk or even just pacing inside loosened everything up & relieved pain faster than popping a pill. And that's coming from a 14yo. Obviously try not to stay in any one position for too long.
    Good luck w your recovery - you're on your way!
    Mom of 14yo son diagnosed Oct 2011
    Surgery 1/3/12 w Dr. Geof Cronen,
    Tampa General Hospital T3 to L1
    Jacob's pre surg curves: T58 & L31 12/28/11
    photos & xrays in "First-Time Surgery" thread "Before & After"

Comment

Soft pillows, heated blanket (not too hot on the incision, though). Also, at your stage, I was also prescribed Oxicontin, which is a long-acting pain killer that gives you a certain baseline relief. Taking your muscle relaxer (Valium) on a regular schedule also can keep the spasms from starting. Good luck! You probably won't even remember this part well in a few weeks!

Best,
      Evelyn
      age 48
      80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
      Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
      Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
      Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
      Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

I agree with Evelyn, keep up the pain medicines to keep the pain at bay, aim for soft: pillows, memory foam, etc.

I mostly used the valiums at night to stop muscle spasms and get to sleep.

I also found it was important to try to establish a good schedule for the pills (I had to take them every four hours). I found 6 pm, 10 pm, 2am, 6am was the best schedule because I would have to wake up only once during the middle of the night to take the meds.

Be sure to keep a notebook by your bed of how many you took of which....you can get a big confused sometimes of how many you took last time (especially when you are starting to wean yourself off a bit).
        Discovered scoliosis when 15 years old.
        Wore Milwaulkee Brace for 1.5 years.
        Top curve 85 degrees, bottom curve 60 degrees

Surgery completed August 23, 2011 (during an earthquake, can you believe that?)
        Dr. Charles Edwards, II
        The Spine Center at Mercy Hospital in Baltimore, MD
        Before and after xrays:
        http://www.valley-designs.com/myspine

Comment

I'm currently waiting for revised surgery and my last spinal surgery was years ago so can't really help but I do agree with others. I'm in a lot of pain at the minute and I find hotwater bottles, heat pads and taking my meds as soon as they are due does help.

Well done on getting through your surgery. Good Luck with your recovery and keep us updated

Jenna x
          27 yr old Female.
          Scoliosis since 12yrs, fusion to lower curve in 1998, costioplast 2001 and further corrective surgery 26 July 2012.
          Now the proud owner of a very straight spine. T1- L5 fusion.
          Mr Dunsmuir, Orthopaedic Surgeon, LGI Leeds.

Comment

Working...
          X