PDA

View Full Version : When is the pain "supposed" to go away?

Confusedmom
05-30-2012, 11:02 PM
Hi all,
I am 11 weeks post-op and just wondering when the surgical pain ended for most people? I realize, of course, that every one is different. But what is the norm or benchmark? If you are still in pain at six months, do the docs start to think something could be wrong? A year?

Dr. Lenke's assistant told me most people are off narcotics by three months. So is that it?

Just curious. I am still in pain, but I do have this gut feeling it is going to go away at some point. And it does seem to be gradually getting better. Just wondering if/when I should start to worry that it's not going away.

If you are pain free--when did you first reach that state after surgery? Many thanks!!!

Evelyn

titaniumed
05-31-2012, 08:48 AM
Evelyn

I was around 4 months when I was sitting here and realized that I had no pain. It didnít last too long since recovery is just like a see-saw. Good days and bad days. What happens is as time passes, there are more good days than bad. Pushing the limits happens, I spent a day walking around at Virginia City, walking on planks at 3 months,(mining town) and I basically slept for 2 days straight after that.

2 or 3 months on meds is probably average....When I quit, the pain rose for about 3 days, then dropped like a stone.....Terminating meds should be a goal at some point.

Try not to worry about when the pain will subside, it will happen when it happens and you will be pleasantly surprised when it does. Donít think that somethingís wrong because your having pain, itís a long recovery. Mine recovery took 1 year for 90% and 2 years plus for the fine tuning.

I thought I had an incisional hernia while I was having gall stone problems. After seeing my vascular surgeon, he mentioned that there was NO way he was going back in so soon.....that was around 3 months...I think a year is a benchmark......I did lose my gall bladder at 15 months post.

Keep walking and hang in there, it gets better.
Ed

Susie*Bee
05-31-2012, 09:20 AM
Everybody IS different... I was on pain meds for 5 months-- and needed them. After that I had tramadol "as needed" to take, which I tried to get along without but still needed sometimes; probably for at least a year to two years. I would describe it more as aching but not intense pain-- lower end pain. I don't remember exactly when the pain stopped for me, but I can tell you with certainty that I just celebrated my 5th anniversary from my surgery and I am pain free unless I totally overdo something and then I am just uncomfortable.

twistedRN
05-31-2012, 06:38 PM
Hi Evelyn (and everyone!),
I am a little over 9 wks postOp and know what you mean. Today was one of those "two steps back" days for me where I woke up and my back felt like it was on fire. I did go out for over a 2 mile walk later today, though, and it definitely feels better tonight. I wonder if that burning pain I occasionally have is nerves regenerating? It just doesn't feel like the muscular pain I used to have prior to surgery. And it doesn't usually last very long, a couple of hours and then it subsides. I am with you, though, I would just like to know when I might have a day that pain/discomfort isn't in the front of my mind! I am sure it will happen, just not soon enough, eh?!?

djkinkead
05-31-2012, 07:34 PM
I agree, you keep up the pain meds and slowly wean yourself off when you start to realize you forgot to take one right at the time you should

Yes, it gradually happens you realize you aren't in pain any more--I did use Tylenol for a while after I was off the prescription pain meds until around five months.

You will have leaps and setbacks. You push yourself hard one day and then you end up resting for two days.

Even at nine months post surgery, I still get the burning feeling a couple times a day in parts of my back.

To me the weirdest part is your skin will itch and you will reach back there to scratch it and you can't feel it--my skin "feeling" sensation isn't coming back very quickly.

Patience: rest, listen to your body when it feels it might be time to start cutting back on the prescription meds.

Best of luck!

Marina63
05-31-2012, 07:46 PM
Even at nine months post surgery, I still get the burning feeling a couple times a day in parts of my back.

Me too! Just when I think it's gone, bam!!

Also, I have numbness yet super sensitive areas on my back especially upper back.

So many quirky things. . . .

golfnut
06-01-2012, 08:23 PM
Evelyn,
I think you will notice gradual improvements in the next few months. I remember thinking that I needed to kick my workouts up a notch or two and really over did it and started taking Tylenol again at 7 months post-op after rarely using it. Kelly told me that I had inflamed the muscles of my back. I still have some aches even at 16 months when I take deep breaths or if I sneeze, and wish I knew for sure that I am fused. I wonder if the mild aches I occasionally have are from the exercises I'm doing or from playing a lot of golf. I feel extremely fortunate with my recovery and just keep my fingers crossed that I continue to do well. Best of luck with your recovery and hoping that you soon are in less pain.

Confusedmom
06-02-2012, 10:03 PM
Thanks, everyone! It's very encouraging at this stage of my recovery to hear from those of you who have crossed the pain hurdle!

It's a little strange for me right now. I feel like my "surgical" pain is almost gone. Meaning, my incision area doesn't hurt. But as I get more active, I am noticing more seemingly random aches & pains. Right now my left calf muscle and left shoulder hurt. Possibly these pains have been here since the surgery but I didn't notice them when I was on more meds. I think more likely I slept on my shoulder wrong and overdid the calf muscle on a walk.

Anyway, I have been reading this forum long enough to know that post-op people have all sorts of strange aches & pains, and that they usually resolve within a few weeks. So, I'm planning on that!

Thanks again,
Evelyn

golfnut
06-03-2012, 08:26 AM
Yes, I think it's perfectly normal. I only slept on my back for a whole year because it just wasn't comfortable on my sides. I had lots of zings and mild aches that were often in different places of my back, hips, shoulders, etc. I am confident that you will eventually notice it less and less.

naptown78
06-07-2012, 08:01 PM
My pain experience after 3 surgeries has been different each time. After my first surgery I was in severe pain for at least 9 - 10 months. My second surgery seemed less painful, and I was off my pain med fairly soon afterwards. I don't mean to say I didn't have pain, but the level of pain was much less and didn't last as long. This last surgery has been different in that I have a constant low level of pain that won't go away. It flares up from time to time. For instance I am right now sitting on a heating pad. I expect I will always have some form of back pain...but it is tolerable. A few days ago, I thought something was wrong because my back really really hurt, but then the next day it was much better. So just the normal ups and downs of recovery.

The weirdest thing that I have had since my original surgery; the nerves all along my incision feel raw and sensitive. Last night my sleeping hubby's arm fell across my back, and I just about jumped across the room! It felt like a lightning bolt hitting me. I've wished this would get better in time, but it hasn't.